Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Long Range Winter Outlook 2012-2013 for warm-weather lovers!, Looking for fellow "warministas"!!!!! :-)
KSpring1
post Nov 7 2012, 09:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 26,019

Hi! I would like to start a long-range thread for people who LOVE mild winters (and who don't like cold and snow)! Most of the threads here in long and even short range seem to be geared toward cold mongers! I want to create a place where people who LOVE warm weather can look ahead with hope at long range trends. I personally get through the dreary days of my least favorite season by mentally going from one warm-up to the next!

I have found that for those of us who suffer in cold and snow and who look to warm spells for relief, it is discouraging to have to wade through post after post putting down the warmth, calling it "disgusting" and so on. I'd like to be able to share comments with others who have a positive spin..... who think a "good" winter is WARM and a "bad" one is, well, you know ...

I've noticed over the years that the warm-weather lovers feel so marginalized on weather forums that we don't even post! In my case, I even stopped going to the forum at all last year because I did not want to wade through all the negative posts. But, whenever I have looked for warm-winter lovers I have been surprised to see how many crawl out of the proverbial woodwork! There are quite a number of us, we just don't have a place to gather. I'd like to create that place here in this thread!

I hope that enough science and meteorology bent posters will also join in. I don't have the resources to predict upcoming trends. So please, if there are any weather geeks who have a warm-weather bent, come, join the thread and generate posts with hope for upcoming warm weather chances! Or at least let's have a place where we can discuss the weather from our perspective. I'm scanning the horizon for signs of ridging, NO Greenland blocks, for a positive NAO, but I don't have enough scientific background to spot the patterns in advance. So please, any of you out there metorologically minded and who can at least _enjoy_ or appreciate warm weather... post! :-)

Thanks so much for any responses!!

'Kirsten, I love Spring' (hence the name: KSpring1)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
okie333
post Nov 7 2012, 11:33 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 22,798

QUOTE(KSpring1 @ Nov 7 2012, 08:38 PM) *
Hi! I would like to start a long-range thread for people who LOVE mild winters (and who don't like cold and snow)! Most of the threads here in long and even short range seem to be geared toward cold mongers! I want to create a place where people who LOVE warm weather can look ahead with hope at long range trends. I personally get through the dreary days of my least favorite season by mentally going from one warm-up to the next!

I have found that for those of us who suffer in cold and snow and who look to warm spells for relief, it is discouraging to have to wade through post after post putting down the warmth, calling it "disgusting" and so on. I'd like to be able to share comments with others who have a positive spin..... who think a "good" winter is WARM and a "bad" one is, well, you know ...

I've noticed over the years that the warm-weather lovers feel so marginalized on weather forums that we don't even post! In my case, I even stopped going to the forum at all last year because I did not want to wade through all the negative posts. But, whenever I have looked for warm-winter lovers I have been surprised to see how many crawl out of the proverbial woodwork! There are quite a number of us, we just don't have a place to gather. I'd like to create that place here in this thread!

I hope that enough science and meteorology bent posters will also join in. I don't have the resources to predict upcoming trends. So please, if there are any weather geeks who have a warm-weather bent, come, join the thread and generate posts with hope for upcoming warm weather chances! Or at least let's have a place where we can discuss the weather from our perspective. I'm scanning the horizon for signs of ridging, NO Greenland blocks, for a positive NAO, but I don't have enough scientific background to spot the patterns in advance. So please, any of you out there metorologically minded and who can at least _enjoy_ or appreciate warm weather... post! :-)

This is the second year in a row you've done this... at least remember to post it in the right subforum next year wink.gif

With this post I am leaving the thread and slamming the door.

--------------------
Best model sites:

InstantWeatherMaps (GFS, NAM, RUC, fast ECMWF... Best free weather site period)
Wundermap (ECMWF... only free site with Euro QPFs)
PSU eWall (Everything else... great site for ensembles)

+Quote Post
CrazyDon
post Nov 8 2012, 02:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,886

LOL

You are not alone in feeling marginalized. The group that does most of the posting are very northeast-centric and focused on snow. I've gotten used to cheering in my own little group of two or three whenever the northwest "steals" winter. LOL

Having said that, I think this is a good thread that actually does deserve to be in the long range board and is basically going to be overlooked at its new location. Oh well.

Getting on topic for a bit, this is actually the first year where I don't mind warm spells. 60 degrees in November has been nice, and I've actually continued to bass fish. Although that looks to be coming to a screaming halt with the first measurable snow on its way this evening. Will not be heart broken if we get some 50s in January! smile.gif

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Nov 9 2012, 07:31 AM
Post #4

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

QUOTE(CrazyDon @ Nov 8 2012, 01:17 PM) *
LOL

You are not alone in feeling marginalized. The group that does most of the posting are very northeast-centric and focused on snow. I've gotten used to cheering in my own little group of two or three whenever the northwest "steals" winter. LOL

Having said that, I think this is a good thread that actually does deserve to be in the long range board and is basically going to be overlooked at its new location. Oh well.

Getting on topic for a bit, this is actually the first year where I don't mind warm spells. 60 degrees in November has been nice, and I've actually continued to bass fish. Although that looks to be coming to a screaming halt with the first measurable snow on its way this evening. Will not be heart broken if we get some 50s in January! smile.gif

1. It is personal based for those "warmanistas".
  2. Discussion about winter belongs in the winter thread, not a brand new one.
  3. There is a direct link in the Long Range sub-forum, so anyone going to the sub-forum will see it.

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
KSpring1
post Nov 13 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(okie333 @ Nov 7 2012, 11:33 PM) *
This is the second year in a row you've done this... at least remember to post it in the right subforum next year wink.gif

With this post I am leaving the thread and slamming the door.

WOW!!!!!!! No need to me so mean!

I do not deserve to have the 'virtual' door slammed in my face!! Not cool.

This post has been edited by KSpring1: Nov 13 2012, 02:32 PM

+Quote Post
KSpring1
post Nov 13 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(CrazyDon @ Nov 8 2012, 02:17 PM) *
LOL

Hi CrazyDon ~ Thank for posting! I would happily give over winter to NW! :-)

I've often wondered if people on the west coast feel left out of the general weather discussion - not just on forums, but also on the weather channel, etc!

+Quote Post
Mor Electric Hea...
post Nov 15 2012, 10:21 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 25,982

QUOTE(KSpring1 @ Nov 7 2012, 09:38 PM) *

Kirsten,

We are very biased because we are an electric heating company, however, you should know that there is alot of evidence pointing to a coming little ice age due to a grand solar minimum (sunspots), the entering of the cold part of natural oscillations in Earth temperatures, oceans and increased volcanic activity. This would be similar to the mid 1600's and the early 1800's when the winters were absolutely brutal for decades.

A mild winter like the last one is a disaster for the companies who manufacture heating cable for roof and gutter deicing. They have seen their sales fall 70-90% from the peak of the 3 cold, snowy winters prior to last. It is also very bad for comfort heaters such as electric baseboard heaters.

+Quote Post
bingobobbo
post Nov 21 2012, 01:19 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,598

I am unsually in favor of cold, but there are times i enjoy mild/warm air, especially toward the end of a long, cold winter, such as 2009-10. I also look forward to the first 60-degree day of the year (usually around mid-march in our area). Our last 60-degree day of the fall occurs, on average, about this time of year.

--------------------
Binghamton--the home of the snow doughnut hole!

+Quote Post
NorEaster07
post Nov 21 2012, 06:33 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 18,864

QUOTE(Mor Electric Heating @ Nov 15 2012, 10:21 AM) *
Kirsten,

We are very biased because we are an electric heating company, however, you should know that there is alot of evidence pointing to a coming little ice age due to a grand solar minimum (sunspots), the entering of the cold part of natural oscillations in Earth temperatures, oceans and increased volcanic activity. This would be similar to the mid 1600's and the early 1800's when the winters were absolutely brutal for decades.

A mild winter like the last one is a disaster for the companies who manufacture heating cable for roof and gutter deicing. They have seen their sales fall 70-90% from the peak of the 3 cold, snowy winters prior to last. It is also very bad for comfort heaters such as electric baseboard heaters.

Oil companies must hate me. I rarely turn on my thermostat every winter. My wood stove is all I need. I also have plans to install Solar panels which then the electric company will hate me for. LOL Then again I can sell back any energy I dont use so that might help them a little. This is all more comical because I'm an Electrician.

--------------------
Snow Totals Per Season:

2007-08: 21"
2008-09: 41"
2009-10: 39.5"
2010-11: 71.5"
2011-12: 14"
2012-13: 46.5"
2013-14: 56.75"

Average(BDR since 1950) = 27.75"

+Quote Post
dab719
post Nov 24 2012, 09:07 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 17,556

This particular forum is like playing solitare.. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
goblue96
post Nov 25 2012, 03:54 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 20,500

I'm right there with you Kristen. I'm trapped in the frozen heck known as upstate NY. I used to live just outside Philadelphia before moving here for my wife's work. I hate it here. It's cold from November to March.

Last year was a wonderful winter. Very limited cold and almost no snow. Exactly my kind of winter.

--------------------
First Day above 60: April 2

First Day above 65: April 10

First Day above 70: April 13

First Day above 75: April 13

First Day above 80: May 12

First Day above 85: May 12

First Day above 90:

First Day above 95:

Days 90+:

+Quote Post
Blizz
post Nov 27 2012, 03:29 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 24,736

QUOTE(goblue96 @ Nov 25 2012, 03:54 PM) *
I'm right there with you Kristen. I'm trapped in the frozen heck known as upstate NY. I used to live just outside Philadelphia before moving here for my wife's work. I hate it here. It's cold from November to March.

Last year was a wonderful winter. Very limited cold and almost no snow. Exactly my kind of winter.

Move south. smile.gif

+Quote Post
goblue96
post Nov 27 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 20,500

QUOTE(Blizz @ Nov 27 2012, 03:29 PM) *
Move south. smile.gif

If family finances allowed me to, I would.

--------------------
First Day above 60: April 2

First Day above 65: April 10

First Day above 70: April 13

First Day above 75: April 13

First Day above 80: May 12

First Day above 85: May 12

First Day above 90:

First Day above 95:

Days 90+:

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post Nov 29 2012, 07:46 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 15,491

If the pattern stays as it is I may pop up here more than once... if I can't have snow then give me 60s like last year laugh.gif

Brief yet strong warmth surge next week. Temps rise into the 50s for most of the region and 60s for the Mid Atlantic next week ahead of the cold front.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 06:58 AM