Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions about Black Ice and Snow on Roadways
moderate mammal
post Jan 22 2015, 01:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 15,065

I enjoy the Winter as much as anyone but my Miata, a daily driver does not. Even a 1/4 of snow on the road for me is dangerous so I just wait for the plow and/or salt.

In any case, concerning Ice on the road. I've always assumed that if I can see ice accumulating on road signs then I should be cautious that the road may contain ice if there is no salt present. And if there is no ice on signs and tree limbs then it's safe to assume there will be no ice on the roadway.

Is this always correct?

As for snow accumulation, the snow always accumulates on the grass and colder surfaces before or at the same time as the roadway. Sometimes a storm starts and snow accumulates on the grass and not the road because the of past salt or the road is warm enough. The question is of a method of predicting if the snow will start to stick on the roadway. It's frustrating as sometimes it will stick when the temp is 35F and not when the temp is say, 29F.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Nov 7 2015, 01:14 AM
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 13,204

QUOTE(moderate mammal @ Jan 22 2015, 01:02 AM) *
I enjoy the Winter as much as anyone but my Miata, a daily driver does not. Even a 1/4 of snow on the road for me is dangerous so I just wait for the plow and/or salt.

In any case, concerning Ice on the road. I've always assumed that if I can see ice accumulating on road signs then I should be cautious that the road may contain ice if there is no salt present. And if there is no ice on signs and tree limbs then it's safe to assume there will be no ice on the roadway.

Is this always correct?

As for snow accumulation, the snow always accumulates on the grass and colder surfaces before or at the same time as the roadway. Sometimes a storm starts and snow accumulates on the grass and not the road because the of past salt or the road is warm enough. The question is of a method of predicting if the snow will start to stick on the roadway. It's frustrating as sometimes it will stick when the temp is 35F and not when the temp is say, 29F.

Thanks.

There can be situations where the ground (and roadway) are below freezing and the air where the precipitation comes from is above freezing - what you can see may be wet, what you are trying to drive on will be ice.

Anytime there is cold weather and precipitation - rain or snow - there is a chance of iced over roads.

In my area the road crews are normally pretty good at preparing roadways for the coming of winter storms, however, they have been fooled a time or two and the roads have ended up being sheets of ice.

If you have any question about the traction on the road you are driving on - when you don't have any traffic in your immediate area - accelerate a little and feel if you get wheelspin. The ease or difficulty with which you provoke wheelspin gives you an idea of just how much traction is available. When it comes to braking - allow way, way more room than you otherwise would, be careful to not how much break pressure you can apply before the wheels slide - that is how much braking traction you have.

If you are on the roads with other traffic, give everybody as wide a berth as you can and expect them to be making mistakes that can cause them to 'lose' the rear end of the vehicle - if you aren't crowding them, most of the time they can get it back under control - if you are too close, you will be a part of their accident.

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2017 - 10:21 AM