Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com
We have updated our Privacy Policy and our Cookie Policy effective May 25, 2018. Please review them.
X

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> EPAC: Major Hurricane / Typhoon Genevieve, 5pm HST: 135mph - 960mb -Movement: NW @ 16mph
NYCSuburbs
post Aug 2 2014, 03:16 PM
Post #1

EF-5 (Mega Poster)

Group: Member
Member No.: 15,491

This one has been there for a while (I think it formed on July 25th), peaking with 45mph/1004mb in the East Pacific basin, and initially dissipated just after entering the Central Pacific basin. It then regenerated as a tropical depression, dissipated again, and once again regenerated today as a tropical depression.

For what it's worth, CPHC predicts Genevieve will survive into the West Pacific basin as a tropical storm... I don't recall many tropical cyclones which existed in all three North Pacific basins, 1994's John easily comes to mind but otherwise I can't think of other examples. Then again, John was a Category 5 hurricane while this is a struggling tropical depression which regenerated for the 2nd time. One issue to consider though is CPHC's forecasting accuracy, not that there's many central Pacific tropical cyclones to monitor but they were continuously too bullish with Genevieve's forecast intensity and predicted it to persist for too long, so it wouldn't surprise me if Genevieve dissipates again prior to reaching the dateline.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by NYCSuburbs: Aug 6 2014, 09:58 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post Aug 2 2014, 10:11 PM
Post #2

EF-5 (Mega Poster)

CPHC upgraded it to a tropical storm earlier this afternoon with an anticipation for a steady strengthening trend into a strong tropical storm, yet as of the latest advisory it once again weakened to a tropical depression laugh.gif

It should be interesting to see how long Genevieve can persist before dissipating again at this rate...

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post Aug 3 2014, 10:31 PM
Post #3

EF-5 (Mega Poster)

Still crawling along as a tropical depression... CPHC reported it nearly dissipated this morning. They still expect it to intensify into a tropical storm tomorrow and a 70mph tropical storm once crossing the dateline.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post Aug 4 2014, 10:50 PM
Post #4

EF-5 (Mega Poster)

No changes so far... CPHC predicts intensification into a tropical storm tonight and a typhoon in the West Pacific.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post Aug 5 2014, 11:34 PM
Post #5

EF-5 (Mega Poster)

Finally intensified into a tropical storm earlier today. CPHC predicts intensification into a typhoon as it crosses the dateline.

I haven't been able to find statistics on how many tropical cyclones existed in all three north Pacific basins; with the forecast recurve in the W Pacific, however, it may have a long shot at re-entering the Central Pacific if it recurves sharply enough prior to extratropical transition. Only 5 or 6 tropical cyclones are known to have crossed from the West Pacific to the Central Pacific basin.

EDIT: Some pages on Wikipedia state only 6 tropical cyclones have existed in all 3 North Pacific basins. I'd have to look more in-depth but can verify 3 of them, Georgette (1986), Enrique (1991), and John (1994).

Attached Image

This post has been edited by NYCSuburbs: Aug 6 2014, 04:19 AM

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post Aug 6 2014, 10:59 AM
Post #6

EF-5 (Mega Poster)

This picked up quickly... after struggling as a weak tropical depression for days, Genevieve put up a quick round of RI and intensified into a category 1 hurricane while at 176.8W longitude. With additional strengthening forecast as it enters the West Pacific basin, Genevieve will receive both titles of a hurricane and a typhoon. This has happened numerous times with Central Pacific-forming storms crossing into the West Pacific, but is rare for a tropical cyclone that formed in the East Pacific.

Attached Image

Attached Image

This post has been edited by NYCSuburbs: Aug 6 2014, 11:01 AM

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post Aug 6 2014, 10:07 PM
Post #7

EF-5 (Mega Poster)

Talk about explosive intensification blink.gif

This basically went from a weak tropical depression 2 days ago, to a weak tropical storm yesterday, and now bombed out to a category 4 hurricane... the previous advisory still had it as a category 1 hurricane with 85 mph sustained winds.

CPHC predicts only minor additional intensification by 5 knots (to 140 mph), although given its continued improvement in structure, tightening eyewall, and a favorable warm SST/low shear environment in the short term, it would not surprise me if it reaches strong category 4 intensity (150-155 mph). Low-end category 5 intensity isn't out of the question either. This would be up to the JMA/JWTC which will begin issuing advisories on Genevieve tonight.

Intensity table - times are in EDT:

Attached Image

Satellite comparison of this morning vs. now:

Attached Image

I also added "Typhoon" into the thread title as crossover into the West Pacific basin is imminent.

This post has been edited by NYCSuburbs: Aug 7 2014, 12:05 AM

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post Aug 7 2014, 12:59 AM
Post #8

EF-5 (Mega Poster)

We now have Typhoon Genevieve:

Attached Image

This is the first hurricane-typhoon crossover since Ioke in 2006 (last year's Pewa intensified into a typhoon after crossing the dateline). The last time a tropical cyclone originating in the East Pacific crossed into the West Pacific was Jimena in 2003, albeit as a dissipating tropical depression.

My early morning call - Genvieve may reach category 5 intensity in the morning hours.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by NYCSuburbs: Aug 7 2014, 01:49 AM

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post Aug 7 2014, 07:02 AM
Post #9

EF-5 (Mega Poster)

JTWC made the forecast call:

Attached Image

Very impressive compared to what it was just 2 days ago.

Attached Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2018 - 08:15 PM