Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

44 Pages V  « < 42 43 44  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Long Range Winter 2017-2018: Thoughts, Outlooks and Discussion, Share your thoughts, forecasts, on-going trends and more
NorEaster07
post Nov 16 2017, 10:40 PM
Post #861

Group: Member
Member No.: 18,864

Lol. If these words were eliminated from my news reel Id have too many political tweets showing up. Lol tongue.gif

https://twitter.com/sethbinau/status/931191295804047360

Attached File  Screenshot_20171116_223803.png ( 224.24K ) Number of downloads: 2
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
grace
post Nov 16 2017, 11:29 PM
Post #862

Member No.: 21,017

QUOTE(NorEaster07 @ Nov 16 2017, 09:40 PM) *
Lol. If these words were eliminated from my news reel Id have too many political tweets showing up. Lol tongue.gif

https://twitter.com/sethbinau/status/931191295804047360

Attached File  Screenshot_20171116_223803.png ( 224.24K ) Number of downloads: 2

Why are so many professional guys bothered by cold tweets & not by blowtorch tweets? I've never understood that. Post a cold or blocking map & they'll slap your hand....post a fantasy heat ridge & they'll like it. #twitterpoliceareannoying smile.gif

This post has been edited by grace: Nov 16 2017, 11:29 PM

+Quote Post
JDClapper
post Nov 16 2017, 11:34 PM
Post #863

From: Loyalsock, PA (eastern suburb of Williamsport, PA, Elev 581')
Member No.: 26,143

QUOTE(grace @ Nov 17 2017, 12:29 AM) *
Why are so many professional guys bothered by cold tweets & not by blowtorch tweets? I've never understood that. Post a cold or blocking map & they'll slap your hand....post a fantasy heat ridge & they'll like it. #twitterpoliceareannoying smile.gif

Apparently I don't follow these cold mongerer's.. but I share your thoughts.

Honest question, is it the opposite in the summer? #wxtwitter sees nothing but monster heat waves nationwide, pro's get annoyed.. but then like to "cold" pattern tweets?

This post has been edited by JDClapper: Nov 16 2017, 11:34 PM

--------------------
Avg. Snowfall 2001-2017: 34"

Current Season: 0"

Last Season: 2016-2017 = 44"

Best Season: 2002-2003 = 63"

Worst Season: 2015-2016 = 7"

Largest Storm: 3/14/2017 = 17"

** "MoM" Certified **

+Quote Post
ClicheVortex2014
post Yesterday, 01:41 AM
Post #864

Member No.: 29,453

Well... lock it in... start stocking up on essentials because most of us will freeze to death on 12/22

Insane 1056mb high. No possible way this forecast could go wrong.

850mb temps running up to 21C (35F) colder than average

This post has been edited by ClicheVortex2014: Yesterday, 01:49 AM

--------------------
Meteorology undergrad at Ohio University

Historic weather events in the Ohio Valley:
- The 1974 Super Outbreak (read more)
- The 2012 "Super" Derecho
- The Great Blizzard of 1978
- ILN Severe Weather Climatology

2017 Weather for Cincinnati

Days >90: 11 (Last: 9/24/17)
Marginal risks: 18 (Last: 8/11/17)
Slight risks: 14 (Last: 8/22/17)
Enhanced risks: 7 (Last: 11/5/17)
Moderate risks: 0 (Last: 6/22/16)
High risks: 0 (Last: 11/17/13)

Realtime Weather on Campus: http://www.phy.ohiou.edu/~scalia/state_street/upload.png

+Quote Post
NorEaster07
post Yesterday, 05:51 AM
Post #865

QUOTE(grace @ Nov 17 2017, 12:29 AM) *

lol. Same with rain. How come its ok to post 10" rainfall maps but posting a 10" snowfall map is bad..

Also, Same can be said for the "bust" word. Why when someone doesn't get the 6" of snow they were forecasted to get its a bust, but when they get less rain than forecasted being a bust never comes up.

+Quote Post
so_whats_happeni...
post Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Post #866

Member No.: 14,460

QUOTE(ClicheVortex2014 @ Nov 17 2017, 03:41 AM) *
Well... lock it in... start stocking up on essentials because most of us will freeze to death on 12/22

Pretty sure we had a similar magnitude high pressure system last november role into a similar region. Think it ended up around 1054mb. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

How quickly we forget such things anymore, I know your post was not meant to be actuality but these huge high pressure systems have been quite common over the past couple of years in a very similar position. The pattern has been slightly different during those times but overall gave a similar result. Curious what the upper levels, strat, looked like with a forecast like that.

--------------------
Tylor Cartter

B.S. in Meteorology
Millersville University

Weather Observer:
KMDT: Harrisburg International Airport
KBWI: Baltimore/ Washington International Airport

Stratosphere Discussion:
2016/2017
2017/2018

AccuWeather Forum MidAtl/NE Snowfall Forecasting Champion Winter 2017

+Quote Post
so_whats_happeni...
post Yesterday, 07:58 AM
Post #867

QUOTE(NorEaster07 @ Nov 17 2017, 07:51 AM) *
lol. Same with rain. How come its ok to post 10" rainfall maps but posting a 10" snowfall map is bad..

Also, Same can be said for the "bust" word. Why when someone doesn't get the 6" of snow they were forecasted to get its a bust, but when they get less rain than forecasted being a bust never comes up.

Absolutely despise twitter and everything that meteorologists think would be a credible thing to put on a quick post app. Since when did this become the go to place to grab information. They are the ones that start the frenzy over 90% of those words by coining it and they expect the media and many other outlets to not use the terms when they share it with everybody..... right.

Sorry you forgot to add atmospheric river to that. Apparently that is also new in todays news world! dry.gif

--------------------
Tylor Cartter

B.S. in Meteorology
Millersville University

Weather Observer:

Stratosphere Discussion:
2016/2017
2017/2018

+Quote Post
Boomer
post Yesterday, 08:31 AM
Post #868

Member No.: 29,999

QUOTE(so_whats_happening @ Nov 17 2017, 06:58 AM) *
Absolutely despise twitter and everything that meteorologists think would be a credible thing to put on a quick post app. Since when did this become the go to place to grab information. They are the ones that start the frenzy over 90% of those words by coining it and they expect the media and many other outlets to not use the terms when they share it with everybody..... right.

Sorry you forgot to add atmospheric river to that. Apparently that is also new in todays news world! dry.gif

What's wrong with twitter? If used correctly, it's a quick, great way of disseminating information. Obviously there are people who are bad at explaining in few words, or just plain hype. But the 'in order, systematic timeline' style really suits sharing weather graphics, forecasts, and pictures.

+Quote Post
grace
post Yesterday, 08:37 AM
Post #869

Member No.: 21,017

QUOTE(ClicheVortex2014 @ Nov 17 2017, 12:41 AM) *

I think the models are onto something. laugh.gif

You need to tweet that image & get the word out

+Quote Post
NorEaster07
post Yesterday, 09:20 AM
Post #870

QUOTE(grace @ Nov 17 2017, 09:37 AM) *

Lol. "Hour 888" isnt on that mute list. Tweet away. Lol tongue.gif

+Quote Post
so_whats_happeni...
post Yesterday, 11:25 AM
Post #871

QUOTE(Boomer @ Nov 17 2017, 10:31 AM) *
What's wrong with twitter? If used correctly, it's a quick, great way of disseminating information. Obviously there are people who are bad at explaining in few words, or just plain hype. But the 'in order, systematic timeline' style really suits sharing weather graphics, forecasts, and pictures.

Its like you want to contradict yourself in the same paragraph lol. So if we take it by that logic 50% show actual potential and the other 50% are well just plain cra p. I dont see the point in disseminating data that is at times 1-2 weeks in advance as being very helpful and throwing all the hashtags you can to get your point across. How is that helping people or in anyway get your point across without one people jumping down your throat or being completely wrong in your ideas. It really is just all clickbait and who can get the info whether correct or not out there the quickest in order to get the most views.

Just because you throw out a picture like judah cohen does or DT or even henry does not mean that it is anywhere resourceful. Thats what blogs are for lol not too tweet something and leave it open ended.

Twitter is honestly only good in realtime, severe weather events coverage of hurricanes rain/snow storms, it doesnt even have to be an event could just as easily be a teaching tweet of a cloud structure or if they drew on some of the maps like crankywxguy does then it can become useful. Not for the idea of showing ideas a week out and calling it as is since your limited in wording.

There are real benefits to it of course, we had discussed this in course work botht eh positive and negtaives, but the negatives far outway the benefits that come from it just because you get information quick doesnt always mean it is correct and solid information.

Also Im done talking about twitter and its positives and negatives if you care to talk anymore about it create a thread or take it to PM.

This post has been edited by so_whats_happening: Yesterday, 11:26 AM

--------------------
Tylor Cartter

B.S. in Meteorology
Millersville University

Weather Observer:

Stratosphere Discussion:
2016/2017
2017/2018

+Quote Post
RobB
post Yesterday, 11:42 AM
Post #872

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 16

QUOTE(so_whats_happening @ Nov 17 2017, 11:25 AM) *
Its like you want to contradict yourself in the same paragraph lol. So if we take it by that logic 50% show actual potential and the other 50% are well just plain cra p. I dont see the point in disseminating data that is at times 1-2 weeks in advance as being very helpful and throwing all the hashtags you can to get your point across. How is that helping people or in anyway get your point across without one people jumping down your throat or being completely wrong in your ideas. It really is just all clickbait and who can get the info whether correct or not out there the quickest in order to get the most views.

Just because you throw out a picture like judah cohen does or DT or even henry does not mean that it is anywhere resourceful. Thats what blogs are for lol not too tweet something and leave it open ended.

Twitter is honestly only good in realtime, severe weather events coverage of hurricanes rain/snow storms, it doesnt even have to be an event could just as easily be a teaching tweet of a cloud structure or if they drew on some of the maps like crankywxguy does then it can become useful. Not for the idea of showing ideas a week out and calling it as is since your limited in wording.

There are real benefits to it of course, we had discussed this in course work botht eh positive and negtaives, but the negatives far outway the benefits that come from it just because you get information quick doesnt always mean it is correct and solid information.

Also Im done talking about twitter and its positives and negatives if you care to talk anymore about it create a thread or take it to PM.

#so_whats_happeningHATESTWITTER #RaiseTheRoof #WhyAmIDoingThis

smile.gif Just having fun. Valid points you have!

+Quote Post
StL weatherjunki...
post Yesterday, 03:10 PM
Post #873

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 6,288

QUOTE(Boomer @ Nov 17 2017, 09:31 AM) *

Twitter is good for sharing pictures and ideas that don't require explanation, weather forecasts rarely fall into that category. In other words, thoughtful forecasts don't have character limits.

I second so whats happening's criticisms.

--------------------
All model guidance is just that, guidance. It is the responsibility of the forecaster to take that information, make it better, and to appropriately communicate the forecast to the users.

Fervent supporter of the idea to make GFS output beyond hour 168 proprietary! Anyone wanting to post/share/tweet/etc GFS output beyond day 7 should have 1) a limited set of graphics available with the option to 2) contribute a nominal fee to get a full suite of products while improving future GFS output. #EURObusinessfor-the-win

+Quote Post
OSNW3
post Yesterday, 06:30 PM
Post #874

Member No.: 25,792

Similar ideas from GEFS extended BSR and 31-35d RRWT H5 outlooks for the 12/16-20 period.

http://www.consonantchaos.com/

--------------------

+Quote Post
ClicheVortex2014
post Today, 03:31 AM
Post #875

QUOTE(grace @ Nov 17 2017, 08:37 AM) *

Thankfuly with the new 240 character Tweet update, I can get the word out much more efficiently with my plethora of hashtags laugh.gif Watch out Wxtwitter laugh.gif

--------------------

Realtime Weather on Campus: http://www.phy.ohiou.edu/~scalia/state_street/upload.png

+Quote Post
ClicheVortex2014
post Today, 03:35 AM
Post #876

In other 'news'... I pulled up Chrome on my phone and saw the suggested article was about how the polar vortex is expected to visit us this year. Guess whose forecast it showed?

I'm starting to think he's worse than JB

--------------------

+Quote Post
so_whats_happeni...
post Today, 06:29 AM
Post #877

QUOTE(ClicheVortex2014 @ Nov 18 2017, 05:35 AM) *
In other 'news'... I pulled up Chrome on my phone and saw the suggested article was about how the polar vortex is expected to visit us this year. Guess whose forecast it showed?

Hahaha that scale though

--------------------
Tylor Cartter

B.S. in Meteorology
Millersville University

Weather Observer:

Stratosphere Discussion:
2016/2017
2017/2018

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Today, 09:01 AM
Post #878

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

QUOTE(ClicheVortex2014 @ Nov 18 2017, 02:35 AM) *

1. Thou shall not speak bad of him.
2. Haters gonna hate.
3. /sarcasm

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

Organicforecasting Blog
Organicforecasting data
89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post

44 Pages V  « < 42 43 44
Reply to this topicStart new topic
13 User(s) are reading this topic (10 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
3 Members: MaineJay, jdrenken, kltye

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 09:08 AM