Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Safest area of CONUS, Where would you choose?
MichelleOH
post Apr 29 2014, 08:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 18,456

If you had to choose a location that is most free from extreme weather in the US, where would it be? The Pacific NW seems like a good spot, but they get a lot of rain, mudslides, and earthquakes it seems.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post Apr 29 2014, 08:45 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,491

QUOTE(MichelleOH @ Apr 29 2014, 09:35 AM) *
If you had to choose a location that is most free from extreme weather in the US, where would it be? The Pacific NW seems like a good spot, but they get a lot of rain, mudslides, and earthquakes it seems.

I would think the California coast is the closest; they still get earthquakes, and I can't think of any location in the US that truly escapes extreme weather, although the other regions would be the eastern US with nor'easters and summertime severe weather, NE US/Great Lakes/Midwest with winter snow and cold, central-southern US with summertime heat and severe weather outbreaks, SE US with hurricanes, NW US with frequent wintertime storms and heavy precipitation with some patterns, and the Rockies which don't need to be explained.

+Quote Post
kpk33x
post May 5 2014, 12:38 PM
Post #3

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,100

If you don't count earthquakes, San Diego CA maybe?

--------------------
Winter 2017 - Mahomet, IL

Snowfall:
October: T
November: T
December: 4.25" (Dec. 27th)

# subzero lows to date: 1
Lowest temperature: -3F

+Quote Post
MichelleOH
post May 5 2014, 03:08 PM
Post #4

I do count earthquakes, but would probably love SD weather! Thanks for the input!

+Quote Post
Stratocumulus
post May 8 2014, 11:26 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 26,192

QUOTE(MichelleOH @ Apr 29 2014, 09:35 AM) *

I'd say West Virginia or southeast Ohio. Minimal earthquake risk. Minimal tornado risk. No hurricane risk. Escapes most of the brutal cold and the worst of the heat (especially higher elevations, where anything over 90 is a rarity). Relatively mild winters compared to most of the midwest and the northeast. Minimal icing risk except in the valleys east of the Apps.

Only big threat, especially with the topography, is flooding and flash flooding. But if you lived outside of a flood-prone area (higher elevation, good drainage), that risk could be minimal.

This post has been edited by Stratocumulus: May 8 2014, 11:26 PM

+Quote Post
Stratocumulus
post May 8 2014, 11:29 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 26,192

QUOTE(NYCSuburbs @ Apr 29 2014, 09:45 AM) *
I would think the California coast is the closest; they still get earthquakes, and I can't think of any location in the US that truly escapes extreme weather, although the other regions would be the eastern US with nor'easters and summertime severe weather, NE US/Great Lakes/Midwest with winter snow and cold, central-southern US with summertime heat and severe weather outbreaks, SE US with hurricanes, NW US with frequent wintertime storms and heavy precipitation with some patterns, and the Rockies which don't need to be explained.

California is also prone to Santa Ana winds which are often accompanied by extreme heat and have led to some devastating fire storms. And the scorched land is also prone to flooding and landslides when heavy winter rains do hit. Not to mention the devastating statewide drought ongoing.

+Quote Post
MichelleOH
post May 9 2014, 07:29 AM
Post #7

Seems that SE Ohio gets some pretty good storms…but now that you mention it, I will have to research the tornado history for that area. I'm NOT moving based on weather, just curious what you all thought about this topic. Thanks!

+Quote Post
The Snowman
post Feb 21 2015, 01:18 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 24,567

I'd vouch for either the Southwest or the Northeast. Main threats in the Southwest (i.e. Arizona and New Mexico) are sandstorms and drought, with the occasional strong thunderstorm. The Northeast rarely gets those strong thunderstorms, but is no stranger to coastal lows and intense cold in the winter. Double-edged sword wherever you go, but those two regions seem the best in my eyes.

--------------------
Annual Snowfall

2014-2015: 46"
2013-2014: 69.5"
2012-2013: 37''

Groundhog Day Blizzard 2011: 24"
Super Bowl Sunday Blizzard 2015: 18"

+Quote Post
WeatherMate
post Jun 4 2015, 03:36 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 30,185

I'd go for San Fracisco's climate without any shred of doubt because of its temperate climate.

--------------------
WeatherMate
http://www.weathermate.net
San Francisco, CA, USA

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th January 2018 - 10:25 PM