Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Animal Behaviour and Upcoming Winter - Correlations, An often overlooked primal indicator of the upcoming winter
SixthSense
post Nov 8 2014, 08:34 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 27,278

Hi all. thought it would be fun to throw out a topic on the upcoming winter that isn't meteorologically driven. keeping in mind that the meteorologists are forecasting a decent winter for Ontario, i tend to look at primal indicators, wild animal behaviour, deer and moose rut, and hibernation behaviour as well. All of these things this year indicate a significant winter in Ontario this year IMHO. My dog has put on 15 lbs in the last month and a half!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
snowgeek93
post Nov 8 2014, 11:13 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,154

Squirrels seem extra busy, trees let out there leaves weeks earlier than normal here. Looks like you may be onto something.

+Quote Post
JJ Snowlover
post Nov 8 2014, 08:59 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 24,422

Living out in the country I have noticed some of this as well. I would say it would at least point to an early start to winter as we are now seeing.

- Leaves change was early this year and the trees we bare before Halloween.

- squirrels where busy like crazy earlier in October cleaning up the bitternut tree, now the gone and quiet.

- geese are all gone for about a week now.

- the 2 outdoor cats have been eating like crazy even after deworming.

- the fuzzy woolly bear caterpillars I seen earlier this fall where even colour, if you believe in this pure folklore woolly bear weather predictors

All this to say I spent a busy day splitting and putting some of the last wood before its too late wink.gif

+Quote Post
GreatWhiteTornad...
post Nov 8 2014, 11:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 28,279

Would it count for anything if I said I act like a lunatic when storms are coming... All kidding aside, odd nature seems to have it figured out

+Quote Post
SixthSense
post Nov 8 2014, 11:27 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(GreatWhiteTornado @ Nov 8 2014, 11:09 PM) *
Would it count for anything if I said I act like a lunatic when storms are coming... All kidding aside, odd nature seems to have it figured out

Probably a good thing animals don't modify their behaviour based on weather models like us folk. With the models flip flopping as they do, they wouldn't know whether to hibernate, collect nuts, fly south or north, to mate or not to mate..........

If they took the GFS at 384hr as gospel we had some fat squirrels, sleepy bears and some pretty aggressive bull moose! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by SixthSense: Nov 8 2014, 11:28 PM

+Quote Post
runbch
post Nov 9 2014, 09:36 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 30,008

QUOTE(SixthSense @ Nov 9 2014, 12:27 AM) *
Probably a good thing animals don't modify their behaviour based on weather models like us folk. With the models flip flopping as they do, they wouldn't know whether to hibernate, collect nuts, fly south or north, to mate or not to mate..........

If they took the GFS at 384hr as gospel we had some fat squirrels, sleepy bears and some pretty aggressive bull moose! laugh.gif

Don't know about you, but its always mating weather.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SixthSense
post Nov 9 2014, 09:38 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(runbch @ Nov 9 2014, 09:36 AM) *
Don't know about you, but its always mating weather.

hahahaha......good point!

+Quote Post
EOsnowmom
post Dec 14 2014, 11:07 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,244

We just saw snow fleas for the first time on our property. We're used to seeing them in the maple bush, but not at home. The do have some folklore. In the bush, they're a sign of spring.

"If snow fleas blacken the drifts beneath the pine trees, it is a sign of a thaw with more deep snow to follow"
(source: Wyoming Folklore: Reminiscences, Folktales, Beliefs, Customs, and Folk Speech)

I hope they're predicting snow and not spring!!

+Quote Post
EOsnowmom
post Dec 15 2014, 07:45 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 17,244

I've got to tell you about this little gem of a book I recently received as a gift. It's by Canadian meteorologist Cindy Day. It's called Grandma Says: Weather Lore from Meteorologist Cindy Day

It's an interesting read!

+Quote Post
JJ Snowlover
post Dec 15 2014, 08:29 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 24,422

QUOTE(EOsnowmom @ Dec 15 2014, 07:45 AM) *
I've got to tell you about this little gem of a book I recently received as a gift. It's by Canadian meteorologist Cindy Day. It's called Grandma Says: Weather Lore from Meteorologist Cindy Day

It's an interesting read!

I got that book last year for Christmas; I actual quite enjoy it as well... wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 01:19 AM