Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Long Range Spring 2014 Outlook, Spring is less than 100 days away
alczervik
post Mar 26 2014, 01:22 PM
Post #241

Group: Member
Member No.: 23,135

Big Surprise

Looks like Accuweather is finally picking up on the weather related planting issues the upper mid west is going to be dealing with.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
paletitsnow63
post Mar 27 2014, 01:30 PM
Post #242

Member No.: 16,714

QUOTE(SnowMan11 @ Mar 25 2014, 11:36 PM) *
HM from Americanwx likes another storm from April 5-10 timeframe. He lives near D.C.

"If it wasn't for the time of year, I'd be hyping the *bleep* out of 4/5-4/10 (Matt's window). The problem, besides it being April, will be the tendency for the Plains/W-C warmth to limit the cold air coming down. Otherwise, the NAO / Atlantic become favorable for another coastal storm threat then.

Here's the good news for you: typically, El Nino-type forcing promotes a ridge in the means over the Midwest-Northeast as we move deeper into spring. Eventually, that ridge is going to win; but, we have a few hiccups to get through, both with the tropical forcing itself and the NAO."

"Huge GEFS support for this window. Everything is there for a threat, not using Analogs:
1. Retrograding helps boost ridge in West
2. NAO signal peaks early April and retrogrades with 50-50 low / cyclonic wave breaking in Atlantic.
3. Split stratosphere supports NAO and holds cold air source in Canada.

I love this potential, I just hate the date."

Snowman,
Looks like the 12Z GGEM agrees with that time frame.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SN_120_240_0000b.gif ( 139.07K ) Number of downloads: 3

+Quote Post
Chambana
post Mar 27 2014, 04:15 PM
Post #243

Member No.: 25,953

EURO has an interesting Look for the middle part of next week. Could be the first severe outbreak. Pattern looks favorable wink.gif

+Quote Post
OSNW3
post Mar 28 2014, 10:02 AM
Post #244

Member No.: 25,792

QUOTE(Chambana @ Mar 27 2014, 03:15 PM) *
EURO has an interesting Look for the middle part of next week. Could be the first severe outbreak. Pattern looks favorable wink.gif

Indeed. http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php?s=...t&p=1847861

--------------------

+Quote Post
stretchct
post Mar 28 2014, 03:39 PM
Post #245

Member No.: 16,470

Just looked at yesterdays ECMWF monthly on accupro. Of 64 frames, the 850 temp in the NE was below 0c in 42 of them. But todays 0z ecmwf control run had a much warmer look on the anomalies.

--------------------
My Wunderground station
weather in my area and winter storm/hurricane model analysis

"I'd rather bust low than bust high" - 2/9 Called for 9-10, got 15

Winter stats 2016-17
Snow to date: 58"
3-14 11.5"
3-10 5.5"
2-12 4"
2-9 15.75"
1-30 2.5"
1-23/24 1.25
1-14 1"
1-7 6.5"
1-6 2"
12-17 6"
12-12 1"
12-5 1"
First measurable 12-5 1"
First flakes 10-27
First freeze 10-25
First frost 10-11

Seasonal snow - normal 44"
2015-16: 33.5"
2014-2015 57"
2013-2014 58.25"
2012-2013 64.5"
2011-2012 30.5"
2010-2011 79"
2009-2010 49"

+Quote Post
Chambana
post Mar 28 2014, 08:57 PM
Post #246

Member No.: 25,953

Will April carry on the family tradition of negative departures since October? Trends say yes, climo says otherwise. Next weeks system to open April looks promising, for some boomers. My landscaping business is about to be in full swing!

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Mar 29 2014, 09:27 AM
Post #247

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

QUOTE(Chambana @ Mar 28 2014, 08:57 PM) *
Will April carry on the family tradition of negative departures since October? Trends say yes, climo says otherwise. Next weeks system to open April looks promising, for some boomers. My landscaping business is about to be in full swing!

Despite climatology pointing to warmer weather, the departure trends will still be below normal. They won't be to the extreme of February or early March, but still below normal none the less.

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

Organicforecasting Blog
Organicforecasting data
89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
OSNW3
post Mar 30 2014, 08:48 AM
Post #248

A regional #midwest warm-up will come - http://tiny.cc/bsrtr #organicforecasting #BSR

Attached File  bsr3.png ( 41.39K ) Number of downloads: 1

--------------------

+Quote Post
blizzardOf96
post Mar 30 2014, 10:28 AM
Post #249

Member No.: 26,371

QUOTE(OSNW3 @ Mar 30 2014, 09:48 AM) *
A regional #midwest warm-up will come - http://tiny.cc/bsrtr #organicforecasting #BSR

Attached File  bsr3.png ( 41.39K ) Number of downloads: 1

Tropical forcing would agree after a major storm/cold threat from D9-11. Once westerlies ramp up and the +CHI anoms are removed from the tropac, upwelling warmth should allow SST's to warm significantly at the surface. The deeper we get into april/may, the more the pattern will want to go to above normal temps east of the rockies. The turning point could very well be around 4/15 as the MJO enters the west pac and a plains anticyclone builds in. Obviously cold will still build in at times with all the snowpack remaining over the NW/Prairies but overall AN is probably the way to go from ~4/15-5/1.

Regarding the D9-D10 system, theres loads of potential for the great lakes/interior IMO. ENS track spread is still very broad, but the potential is definitely there with a SE ridge, +PNA and +NAO. The 0z euro control show's what can happen if everything comes together.
Attached File  Screen_Shot_2014_03_30_at_11.02.25_AM.png ( 656.87K ) Number of downloads: 10

This post has been edited by blizzardOf96: Mar 30 2014, 10:29 AM

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter: @Blizzardof96

+Quote Post
OSNW3
post Mar 30 2014, 09:40 PM
Post #250

QUOTE(blizzardOf96 @ Mar 30 2014, 09:28 AM) *
Tropical forcing would agree after a major storm/cold threat from D9-11. Once westerlies ramp up and the +CHI anoms are removed from the tropac, upwelling warmth should allow SST's to warm significantly at the surface. The deeper we get into april/may, the more the pattern will want to go to above normal temps east of the rockies. The turning point could very well be around 4/15 as the MJO enters the west pac and a plains anticyclone builds in. Obviously cold will still build in at times with all the snowpack remaining over the NW/Prairies but overall AN is probably the way to go from ~4/15-5/1.

Regarding the D9-D10 system, theres loads of potential for the great lakes/interior IMO. ENS track spread is still very broad, but the potential is definitely there with a SE ridge, +PNA and +NAO. The 0z euro control show's what can happen if everything comes together.
Attached File  Screen_Shot_2014_03_30_at_11.02.25_AM.png ( 656.87K ) Number of downloads: 10

I dig your graphic.

In regard with the long-term ISO, late April should be watched for another cold intrusion. However, with the jet transitioning northward, I am not against departures coming in less dramatic. Take a similar jet position, in a similar transition (to winter, instead of summer), the first half of November the midwest was riddled with short lived ridges.

Attached File  iso47.png ( 81.4K ) Number of downloads: 2

Attached File  iso48.png ( 43.26K ) Number of downloads: 2

It is the short-term ISO that will pick up on this soon, shall the Rossby recur in such a way. I will be on the look out for the signals within the recurring Rossby. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
blizzardOf96
post Mar 31 2014, 06:36 AM
Post #251

QUOTE(OSNW3 @ Mar 30 2014, 10:40 PM) *
I dig your graphic.

In regard with the long-term ISO, late April should be watched for another cold intrusion. However, with the jet transitioning northward, I am not against departures coming in less dramatic. Take a similar jet position, in a similar transition (to winter, instead of summer), the first half of November the midwest was riddled with short lived ridges.

Your outdoing yourself on the site. Those new graphics are looking slick.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Mar 31 2014, 09:25 AM
Post #252

QUOTE(blizzardOf96 @ Mar 31 2014, 06:36 AM) *

His work is getting noticed in multiple venues! Long live #organicforecasting and the #trifecta!!!

--------------------

It's a work in progress!

Organicforecasting Blog
Organicforecasting data

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
OSNW3
post Mar 31 2014, 12:12 PM
Post #253

QUOTE(jdrenken @ Mar 31 2014, 08:25 AM) *
His work is getting noticed in multiple venues! Long live #organicforecasting and the #trifecta!!!

QUOTE(blizzardOf96 @ Mar 31 2014, 05:36 AM) *

I appreciate the feedback, however, I am lazy, and I am 100% at the mercy of (or limited to) the Google Viz capability. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Mar 31 2014, 06:05 PM
Post #254

Viva Trifecta!

A Welcomed Sight To Farmers and Firemen Alike!

The above graphic is the Weather Prediction Center's representation of how much precipitation we will get in the next 7 days. The Intraseasonal Oscillation/Rossby Wave, Bering Sea Rule, & typhoon rule, better known to my followers as the #trifecta, wins again!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  7_Day_qpf.gif ( 41K ) Number of downloads: 2

--------------------

It's a work in progress!

Organicforecasting Blog
Organicforecasting data

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Mar 31 2014, 07:03 PM
Post #255

Alaska's extended forecast discussion...note the bold. Love these guys!

ALASKA EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
154 PM EDT MON MAR 31 2014

VALID 12Z FRI APR 04 2014 - 12Z TUE APR 08 2014

ENSEMBLES SUGGEST A RESURGENCE OF RIDGING BUILDING INTO KAMCHATKA
LATE THIS WEEK AND THEN PUSHING INTO THE BERING SEA THROUGH EARLY
NEXT WEEK. THIS SHOULD MAINTAIN GENERAL TROUGHING BETWEEN 145W AND
160W THROUGH THE PERIOD WHILE THE STORM TRACK REMAINS SOUTH OF THE
MAINLAND. THE ECMWF ENSEMBLES HAVE HAD A BETTER HANDLE ON THE
EVOLUTION OF THE UPPER PATTERN FROM THE PACIFIC INTO NORTH
AMERICA... SIGNALING A RETURN TO AN AMPLIFIED
RIDGE/TROUGH/RIDGE/TROUGH OVER THE CENTRAL/NE PACIFIC INTO
WESTERN/CENTRAL-EASTERN NORTH AMERICA... RESPECTIVELY.
THE
GFS/GEFS MEMBERS HAVE BEEN LESS RELIABLE BUT FAIRLY CLOSE ON SOME
LEVEL.

OVERALL ENSEMBLE SPREAD IS NEAR NORMAL OVER THE NE PAC BUT
INCREASES GREATLY AS TROUGHING DEEPENS IN THE SEA OF OKHOTSK AND
THEN SE OF KAMCHATKA TOWARD THE END OF THE PERIOD... BUT PREFER TO
ERR ON THE SLOWER SIDE GIVEN THE OVERALL TREND. USED A BLEND OF
THE 00Z ECMWF AND ECENS MEAN AS THE BASE OF THE FORECAST.

THIS PATTERN SUPPORTS A DRY PATTERN ACROSS THE INTERIOR TO NORTH
SLOPE... WITH THE BEST CHANCE OF MODEST RAINS THROUGH THE
PANHANDLE UNDER CONTINUED SW TO SSW FLOW. EC ENSEMBLES SUGGEST THE
BEST CHANCE OF AT LEAST TWO INCHES OF PRECIPITATION DURING THE
PERIOD SE OF JUNEAU.

FRACASSO

--------------------

It's a work in progress!

Organicforecasting Blog
Organicforecasting data

+Quote Post
blizzardOf96
post Mar 31 2014, 07:28 PM
Post #256

Seasonal temps will continue to get delayed across the eastern 2/3 of the CONUS if the H5 pattern plays out like some of the indices are pointing towards. Although the MJO should increase low level westerly flow over the tropac after ~4/10, we probably won't get a mid latitude response until later in april. A strong +PNA surge looks to keep temps well BN over the lakes, prairies and NE from ~4/8-4/11. Beyond that point, guidance is hinting at a strengthening SE ridge with WSW flow aloft south and east of the ohio river. I am reluctant to believe that this feature will have a huge impact on departures once you get out of the Southeast with the way the pattern is shaping up. Cyclonic RWB across the central atlantic and pacific will help reinforce the -NAO/-EPO pattern for a time(big time signalling on the euro EPS for that type of evolution on the streamfunction maps). If the +QBO/nina driven pacific ridge can retrograde west in tandem with tropical forcing shifting towards nino territory, we can get more widespread positive departures past mid month. Besides transient warm ups, this is looking like the less likely scenario IMO, but once we snap, it could be pretty significant and long lasting until later in june/july once the typical nino evolution begins to take place.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Mar 31 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #257

Hello everyone,

This is Joe Renken of KOPN Weather bringing you the weekly long range discussion for the KOPN listening area.

The volatile pattern that we have been in for the past almost 6 months just wonít stop. Japan is showing a decent sized storm around the 3rd of April with another shortwave coming down the backside of the trough on the 4th and 5th of April, which translates to a storm with a warm up right before the 9th and cold shot withÖdare I say itÖsnow on the 10th and 11th of April for Central Missouri. Northwest flow pattern develops and that means colder than normal temperatures for us before another system on the 15th of April with yet more Northwest flow developing.

A mean trough dominates the Bering Sea during the first 4 days of April which shows us that the 20th through the 24th of April will be cooler than normal. However, relief is around the corner. The system that hits Japan on the 4th and 5th will pump up a ridge in the Bering Sea for a few days before that system over Japan makes itís way over. When it does make itís way into Kamchatka Peninsula, I am concerned for severe weather on the 28th of April. The trough returns again to give us cooler than normal departures to start the month of May!
Donít forget to get the word out about our long range forecasting on www.weather.kopn.org to your friends and family as itís being noticed on the blogsphere.

--------------------

It's a work in progress!

Organicforecasting Blog
Organicforecasting data

+Quote Post
thedarkestclouds
post Apr 1 2014, 12:32 AM
Post #258

Member No.: 21,176

Yesterday (3/31) the NAO went negative for the first time in over two months. Anyone remember how long it was positive during the winter of 2011-2012?

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Apr 1 2014, 08:33 AM
Post #259

QUOTE(thedarkestclouds @ Apr 1 2014, 12:32 AM) *
Yesterday (3/31) the NAO went negative for the first time in over two months. Anyone remember how long it was positive during the winter of 2011-2012?

Look here for the graphical output...
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/prec...nao_index.shtml

Look here for the text...
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/prec...ent.ascii.table

--------------------

It's a work in progress!

Organicforecasting Blog
Organicforecasting data

+Quote Post
kpk33x
post Apr 1 2014, 03:05 PM
Post #260

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,100

March 2013 was cold, at 40.7F avg at BWI. This was a whopping 13 full degrees colder than March 2012, which was warmer than more than a few April's.

Who could imagine that March 2014 would then come back at 38.5F and over a foot of snow at BWI? Especially if you said last year that the NAO would be positive for all but the last day of the month? The predictions would have been for a 2012 repeat.

BWI had more snow this March than IMBY in S PA and at MDT. It was the coldest March at BWI in 30 years, missing 1984 by a mere 0.3F. This made March 2014 15.2F colder than 2 years ago, and colder than several recent Januaries and Februaries.

I know a few of us forecasted something like that wink.gif ...but its still interesting to go back and compare.

For the first 3 months of this year, avg temp is 32.9F at BWI...or 4.6F colder than last year and 11.6F colder than the same period in 2012! blink.gif

--------------------
Summer 2017 - Intervale, NH

# of 90 degree days:
May - 2 (through 5/17)

Season TD - 2

# of thunderstorm days: 2
Severe events/description:
5/18 - severe T-storm, brief heavy rain/wind on warned storm

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2017 - 01:52 PM