Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com
We have updated our Privacy Policy and our Cookie Policy effective May 25, 2018. Please review them.
X

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Attn Jesse Ferrell Weathermatrix, Historical Preservation of Forums
AdamC
post Jul 27 2018, 09:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 26,739

I know your time is limited so please let me first list my credentials. I have a Masters degree from Columbia University in Computer Science. I am a full-stack developer who has experience in all-things-web as well as more demanding applications in the C, Java, and Go languages. I have built and sold multiple web businesses which have exceeded 4 million dollars in annual revenue.

Hopefully you understand that I am not some hobbyist, and have the tools and know-how to manage high traffic and large dataset situations. I am imploring you to grant me access to your forum database so that I can download it onto my 25 terabyte redundant array here at my home. From there, Id like to either host the archive of the forum for historical preservation, or possibly continue the forum after an analysis is completed into the bandwidth and CPU requirements.

Again my offer to help you move this forum to Amazon Web Services (AWS) stands. There is no technical reason why this forum cannot continue in its existing form with minimal interruption. But, if this is not something you want to pursue, please at the very least do not let this wealth of information be destroyed.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryan Duff
post Jul 27 2018, 09:25 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 21,302

QUOTE(AdamC @ Jul 27 2018, 10:05 AM) *
I know your time is limited so please let me first list my credentials. I have a Masters degree from Columbia University in Computer Science. I am a full-stack developer who has experience in all-things-web as well as more demanding applications in the C, Java, and Go languages. I have built and sold multiple web businesses which have exceeded 4 million dollars in annual revenue.

Hopefully you understand that I am not some hobbyist, and have the tools and know-how to manage high traffic and large dataset situations. I am imploring you to grant me access to your forum database so that I can download it onto my 25 terabyte redundant array here at my home. From there, Id like to either host the archive of the forum for historical preservation, or possibly continue the forum after an analysis is completed into the bandwidth and CPU requirements.

Again my offer to help you move this forum to Amazon Web Services (AWS) stands. There is no technical reason why this forum cannot continue in its existing form with minimal interruption. But, if this is not something you want to pursue, please at the very least do not let this wealth of information be destroyed.

I for one do not want my information in someone else's control. I did not authorize that and I bet most members here would not authorize that.

While I do agree we need some sort of historical preservation, I would implore AccuWx to put these forums into a read-only status and maintain them as-is rather than just black hole them off the internet.

If that's not possible, we can come up with a plan B that doesn't involve 14,000 members email addresses, birthdays, locations, etc being shared with a third party we did not consent to.

--------------------
M.O.M. Certified (Inaugural Class of Winter 2015-2016)

"You must stick to your conviction, but be ready to abandon your assumptions."

Current Elevation: 30' ASL

+Quote Post
MD Blue Ridge
post Jul 27 2018, 09:31 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 25,332

QUOTE(Ryan Duff @ Jul 27 2018, 10:25 AM) *
I for one do not want my information in someone else's control. I did not authorize that and I bet most members here would not authorize that.

While I do agree we need some sort of historical preservation, I would implore AccuWx to put these forums into a read-only status and maintain them as-is rather than just black hole them off the internet.

If that's not possible, we can come up with a plan B that doesn't involve 14,000 members email addresses, birthdays, locations, etc being shared with a third party we did not consent to.

I for two barely understand this internet you speak of, nor the weather for that matter.

--------------------
Blue Ridge Bouncer

Delaware. Where snowflakes go to die.

+Quote Post
AdamC
post Jul 27 2018, 10:16 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Ryan Duff @ Jul 27 2018, 10:25 AM) *

There are ways around this. For instance, I can simply not download the email address column. Also, passwords are never saved as plain text but rather hashes which are of no use to hackers.

+Quote Post
Ryan Duff
post Jul 27 2018, 10:32 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,302

QUOTE(AdamC @ Jul 27 2018, 11:16 AM) *
There are ways around this. For instance, I can simply not download the email address column. Also, passwords are never saved as plain text but rather hashes which are of no use to hackers.

I have similar credentials as well. Not intended as a pi$$ing match, but you've got just a handful posts here, most of which are about preserving the forums, and limited credibility with members.

Your goal is laudable, but not ideal. There are better options.

--------------------
M.O.M. Certified (Inaugural Class of Winter 2015-2016)

"You must stick to your conviction, but be ready to abandon your assumptions."

Current Elevation: 30' ASL

+Quote Post
AdamC
post Jul 27 2018, 10:43 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Ryan Duff @ Jul 27 2018, 11:32 AM) *
I have similar credentials as well. Not intended as a pi$$ing match, but you've got just a handful posts here, most of which are about preserving the forums, and limited credibility with members.

So lets work together. Im completely transparent. My only goal is historical preservation. My email address is ajc301 at gmail. Nothing to hide at all. As a practical matter, what could be a plausible ulterior motive?

+Quote Post
MD Blue Ridge
post Jul 27 2018, 11:01 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 25,332

QUOTE(Ryan Duff @ Jul 27 2018, 11:32 AM) *

Maybe I could be of service. I am pretty handy with a notepad and training carrier pigeons.

I'll see myself out...

--------------------
Blue Ridge Bouncer

Delaware. Where snowflakes go to die.

+Quote Post
PlanetMaster
post Jul 28 2018, 04:13 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 25,093

It would be a simple process to import the database into a new IPS board on any server without revealing any personal information but the privacy issue out ways any type of export as all members would need to consent and thats just not possible. Read only for prosperity would be the simplest and safest option.

BTW where are the threads about this place closing and alternatives?

This post has been edited by PlanetMaster: Jul 28 2018, 04:18 PM

--------------------
Join in the conversation at https://www.wxdisco.com/

+Quote Post
LJGoose
post Jul 29 2018, 01:57 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,244

I do not want ANY of my information given to anyone other than what I originally signed up for with this forum!

--------------------
Suffolk County - Coram (Long Island, NY)

+Quote Post
NorEaster07
post Aug 3 2018, 03:14 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 18,864

If we deleted our account here, the posts would still be around. No need to preserve every member and their info but I appreciate others trying to help figure out how to preserve the forum and threads.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2018 - 08:22 PM