Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is it safe to be inside a car when hit by lightning?
WeatherMate
post Jun 11 2015, 01:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 30,185

Well here's this question to all the storm chasers out there. Is it really safe to be sitting inside a car when hit by lightning? I've heard somewhere that a man ploughing the fields with his tractor was once hit by lightning (literally out of the blue) but suffered no physical damage, no spasms, no aches, no concussions whatsoever. Yes, his tractor, they say, had its back tires melted and wouldn't start. So, what if I'm inside my car, with the windows rolled up and doors closed and am hit by lightning. Will I be able to survive? Will it cause any damage to my car?

--------------------
WeatherMate
http://www.weathermate.net
San Francisco, CA, USA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WeatherMate
post Sep 4 2015, 04:49 AM
Post #2

I recently heard that the lightning struck a plane on the runway and in fact it missed its tail. Has anyone else learnt about it?

--------------------
WeatherMate
San Francisco, CA, USA

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Sep 7 2015, 04:26 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,204

QUOTE(WeatherMate @ Sep 4 2015, 05:49 AM) *
I recently heard that the lightning struck a plane on the runway and in fact it missed its tail. Has anyone else learnt about it?

That was shown on the TV National news shows. Plane was stuck near it's mid-line and you could see it make it's path to ground through the landing gear - jumping the tire's rubber section.

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Sep 7 2015, 04:30 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(WeatherMate @ Jun 11 2015, 02:50 AM) *
Well here's this question to all the storm chasers out there. Is it really safe to be sitting inside a car when hit by lightning? I've heard somewhere that a man ploughing the fields with his tractor was once hit by lightning (literally out of the blue) but suffered no physical damage, no spasms, no aches, no concussions whatsoever. Yes, his tractor, they say, had its back tires melted and wouldn't start. So, what if I'm inside my car, with the windows rolled up and doors closed and am hit by lightning. Will I be able to survive? Will it cause any damage to my car?

Considering that most cars are of metal construction - the lightning will use the metal as the 'shortest path to ground'. With the tires being non-conductive rubber with you inside the car, you are not grounded and are thus not harmed. With today's milli & micro volt electronics operating today's cars - all bets are off on what effect a lightning strike will have on the car's operation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
WeatherMate
post Sep 10 2015, 05:55 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(mmi16 @ Sep 7 2015, 04:30 AM) *
Considering that most cars are of metal construction - the lightning will use the metal as the 'shortest path to ground'. With the tires being non-conductive rubber with you inside the car, you are not grounded and are thus not harmed. With today's milli & micro volt electronics operating today's cars - all bets are off on what effect a lightning strike will have on the car's operation.

A few days back I came across an article which discussed the concept of a Faraday's cage and rejected the theory that the tires act as insulators and hence protect the vehicle. However, it did say that the electronic systems of a car could be affected by the lightning. Have you heard about the Faraday's cage theory?

--------------------
WeatherMate
San Francisco, CA, USA

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Nov 1 2015, 12:19 AM
Post #6

I am aware of the Faraday cage, but have never dug into the science of it.

Considering the number of T'storms that take place across the World - if you weren't safe in a car we would be hearing of multiple deaths every time a line of T'storms moved through an area.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2017 - 12:32 AM