Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Long Range Indices Game, How Well Do You Know Them?
blizzardOf96
post May 3 2014, 08:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 26,371

Without searching online or editing, see how many Long Range/intraseasonal acronym's you can remember from the list below. When I have time, i will try to post some informal papers/info on each indice. Good Luck to everyone and may the sharpest member win!

Global Teleconnections

NAO
AO
PNA
AAO
EPO
WPO

Global Winds/Momentum

EAMT
FT
GLAAM
GWO

Tropical Convective Waves

MJO
CCKW
OKW
CCRW
ORW

SST/ENSO Monitoring

TNI
ONI
MEI
THC
NOI
ENSO
PDO
AMO
SOI

Stratospheric indices

NAM
SSW
FW
CW
SAO
QBO
BDC

This post has been edited by blizzardOf96: May 3 2014, 08:32 AM

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter: @Blizzardof96
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post May 3 2014, 08:56 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,491

QUOTE(blizzardOf96 @ May 3 2014, 09:29 AM) *
Without searching online or editing, see how many Long Range/intraseasonal acronym's you can remember from the list below. When I have time, i will try to post some informal papers/info on each indice. Good Luck to everyone and may the sharpest member win!

Global Teleconnections

NAO
AO
PNA
AAO
EPO
WPO

Global Winds/Momentum

EAMT
FT
GLAAM
GWO

MJO
CCKW
OKW
CCRW
ORW

SST/ENSO Monitoring

TNI
ONI
MEI
THC
NOI
ENSO
PDO
AMO
SOI

Stratospheric indices

NAM
SSW
FW
CW
SAO
QBO
BDC

I've heard about almost all of them at some point... the only ones I can actually remember more than their name are bolded above. Long range forecasting is certainly a fascinating subject especially with all the research put into it, both the typical indices listed above and the additional methods as discussed in the Long Range forum (i.e. BSR/TR/ISO/etc.), although the whole field of long range forecasting appears extremely complex from the perspective of an amateur, and I'm split between deciding whether to dedicate more time to pursuit long range forecasting or stick with trying to improve the precise details in short-medium range forecasting, which still has quite a bit of issues itself (March 2nd epic fail).

Just a thought I've been having, which I don't know if it's even valid or not, although I've always wondered if there was a way to bridge the two, as in using analyses of the long range indices to improve the medium-long range global models - the GFS at day 15 may sometimes offer clues about the global pattern but I've rarely seen it useful in the synoptic scale (besides coincidence on storm dates).

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post May 7 2014, 04:55 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 28,288

QUOTE(blizzardOf96 @ May 3 2014, 09:29 AM) *

Global Teleconnections

NAO
AO
PNA
AAO
EPO
WPO

Global Winds/Momentum

EAMT
FT
GLAAM
GWO

MJO
CCKW
OKW
CCRW
ORW

SST/ENSO Monitoring

TNI
ONI
MEI
THC
NOI
ENSO
PDO
AMO
SOI

Stratospheric indices

NAM
SSW
FW
CW
SAO
QBO
BDC

16 months ago, I would have only known a handful. I can name most of them now, the stratospheric and global wind indices I learned from reading posts by you, the snowman, and weatherjunkie, and then researching to learn more about them.

The El Niņo indices have moved to the front of the line lately, so I'm getting much more knowledgeable about those daily.
Is the NPI also an El Niņo index? Also is a CTW, a type of convective ocean wave?

Really looking forward to learning more about all these fun acronyms. If it's alright, I have accumulated resources for many of these indices, and I would love to share any information and links here. I nearly started a personal discussion to put all the pdf and links somewhere that others could see and add.

Hope you don't mind lots of questions smile.gif

--------------------
"z = z2 + c" - Benoit Mandelbrot

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt.

MJ SN-o-meter. Each dash represents 1", 84 in total for 7', my average
//////////////////////////////////////////
//////////////////////////////////////////

***bonus snow***
////////////////////////////////

118" season to date

+Quote Post
blizzardOf96
post May 7 2014, 04:21 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 26,371

QUOTE(MaineJay @ May 7 2014, 05:55 AM) *
16 months ago, I would have only known a handful. I can name most of them now, the stratospheric and global wind indices I learned from reading posts by you, the snowman, and weatherjunkie, and then researching to learn more about them.

The El Niņo indices have moved to the front of the line lately, so I'm getting much more knowledgeable about those daily.
Is the NPI also an El Niņo index? Also is a CTW, a type of convective ocean wave?

Really looking forward to learning more about all these fun acronyms. If it's alright, I have accumulated resources for many of these indices, and I would love to share any information and links here. I nearly started a personal discussion to put all the pdf and links somewhere that others could see and add.

Hope you don't mind lots of questions smile.gif

Questions are encouraged, and feel free to add any links you want! The NPI is a measure of the strength of the aleutian high/low. Positive values indicate a weaker low and a tendency to see more ridging across the area. Have never heard of a CTW, but i would assume its a type of subsurface wave like an OKW/RW.

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter: @Blizzardof96

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2017 - 11:46 PM