Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com
We have updated our Privacy Policy and our Cookie Policy effective May 25, 2018. Please review them.
X

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mr. Murphy was an optomist!, Your insights on "Murphy's Law"
SludgeFudge
post May 12 2011, 01:30 PM
Post #21

EF-2 (Frequent Poster)

Group: Member
Member No.: 25,557

That is so true!! That just happened to me the other day - usually my car keys are in my left pocket but that day I was carrying groceries and they were in the pocket I couldnt reach. Heaven only knows...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vomit
post May 12 2011, 04:53 PM
Post #22

EF-3 (Very Frequent Poster)

Member No.: 22,287

QUOTE(raughammer @ May 12 2011, 03:48 AM) *
Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.

True. Especially after you have a couple of kids running around!

--------------------
"All our lives we sweat and save building for a shallow grave." J.D. Morrison

+Quote Post
raughammer
post May 12 2011, 04:53 PM
Post #23

EF-4 (Extreme Poster)

Member No.: 14,542

No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy.

and/or

If your advance is going well, you are walking into an ambush.

--------------------
In his farewell address (September 19, 1796), President George Washington told the nation: "Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. . . . Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government."

+Quote Post
stusson
post May 31 2011, 10:53 AM
Post #24

EF-4 (Extreme Poster)

Member No.: 23,429

Prepare well for snow, rain or some other inclement weather, and you will only be satisfied with the thought. Neglect the preparation, or assume it's going to be a nice weather day, and you will be sure to get inclement conditions.

+Quote Post
wingsovernc
post May 31 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #25

EF-5 (Mega Poster)

Member No.: 22,154

I have a "perfect storm" of Murphy's Law to relate. Back when I use to deliver newspapers
at night, I would often stop for gas before beginning my route between 3 and 4 am.
One night I stopped at the pump and noticed I was the only one in the lot. I got out
to pay for the gas and somehow knocked the door shut with the index finger of my
right hand still in the door frame. Now this was painful to be sure but I can take a little
pain if I have to. I tried to open the door with my left hand but it was locked. I felt
my jacket pockets for the keys, not there. Left pants pocket, not there but they were
not in the ignition either. They had to be in the hardest pocket to get to...my right front
pants pocket. Probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do...calmly feeling
around for those keys to unlock the door to extract my throbbing finger while remaining
calm enough to do so. But I finally got it out. Oh yeah, it was also raining that night so
that I had to bag every paper with my finger swollen to twice it's size and screaming at
me to stop moving it. Bad night that was.

--------------------

If you have one true friend in the world you are very rich.

~ Alistair Begg

+Quote Post
stusson
post May 31 2011, 11:40 AM
Post #26

EF-4 (Extreme Poster)

QUOTE(wingsovernc @ May 31 2011, 09:19 AM) *
I have a "perfect storm" of Murphy's Law to relate. Back when I use to deliver newspapers
at night, I would often stop for gas before beginning my route between 3 and 4 am.
One night I stopped at the pump and noticed I was the only one in the lot. I got out
to pay for the gas and somehow knocked the door shut with the index finger of my
right hand still in the door frame. Now this was painful to be sure but I can take a little
pain if I have to. I tried to open the door with my left hand but it was locked. I felt
my jacket pockets for the keys, not there. Left pants pocket, not there but they were
not in the ignition either. They had to be in the hardest pocket to get to...my right front
pants pocket. Probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do...calmly feeling
around for those keys to unlock the door to extract my throbbing finger while remaining
calm enough to do so. But I finally got it out. Oh yeah, it was also raining that night so
that I had to bag every paper with my finger swollen to twice it's size and screaming at
me to stop moving it. Bad night that was.

we have a Winner!

That one will definitely be hard to top Wings! Thanks for sharing, my finger even now is throbbing in sympathy. sad.gif

Can anyone try and best that 'perfect storm' of Murphy's Law?!

+Quote Post
Papa_Bear
post May 31 2011, 05:18 PM
Post #27

EF-4 (Extreme Poster)

Member No.: 19,382

If you drop something it will ALWAYS go under an object the is big so what ever you dropped in not easily gotten

--------------------
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

+Quote Post
stusson
post Jun 1 2011, 01:33 PM
Post #28

EF-4 (Extreme Poster)

So I bought A.C. air filters @ the local hardware store this past Saturday, told the wife that I like to wait until they are offered 2 for 1 price, but we really needed them, so I bought 'em at full price.

Opened today's newspaper, a flyer for that hardware chain had in it - guess what? Yup, 2fer 1 on air filters!!

dry.gif

+Quote Post
Not Firewalled
post Jun 3 2011, 08:54 AM
Post #29

EF-4 (Extreme Poster)

Member No.: 18,678

Yesterday was a Murphy day. I got to work and the majority of my phone calls were awful. One particular call: people did not send in their certificate in time, so we couldn't apply it to their sailing that is leaving tomorrow. They wanted compensation in the form of a free cruise because THEY did not do what they needed to do.

Then Mr. NF had to go to the DMV for the 2nd time this week to try to get his drivers license. He still doesn't have it. That has both of us super frustrated. My reasons being that I hate driving, I have horrible road rage right now, and I have about an inch of room between me and the steering wheel right now. I'm going to get too big to drive because I am short and grow big babies.

I had a dr's appointment yesterday afternoon. I get there, and the idiot who scheduled it scheduled it for last Thursday in Narnia. She was a temp and messed up every appointment she scheduled that day. My dr's office was overbooked and behind. I cried because any time I take off for appointments comes out of my maternity leave. I was able to be seen eventually, but I had to see the physician's assistant and a med student instead of my OB.

--------------------
"Bees make honey....Do earwigs make chutney? Do spiders make gravy?"

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jun 7 2011, 10:21 AM
Post #30

EF-4 (Extreme Poster)

Member No.: 20,641

Okay, so I live in a basement.
Yesterday I decided to re-arrange the bird cages because well, they seemed bored. I remove one shelf and put it in the "open" area of the basement. Then I move the cat pedestal so they can't reach the cage. Then I see the drain pan to the ac thing is full. Now I go outside and find that the drain hose is completely grown over. I get the pick ax and begin an archeology dig to reopen that.
Back to the cages. I finally get every thing situated and clean up the mess from that and mop out the drain pan.
Now it's time to answer mother nature's call. Upon going up the stairs and grasping the knob I find it will not release the plunger. I am at the top of the stairs and cannot get in. I bang on the door until someone opens it and rush to the bathroom. For now, there is good old duct tape over the plunger until a new knob is obtained.
I then decide to finish up my day by slipping folded paper under the wobbly leg of my shelf holding my knick knacks because I'm worried about my ceramic owl falling. While I am kneeling down attending to this the wooden, rather hefty giraffe falls and -antlers first- hits me on the head.
I have officially given up interior decorating.

--------------------
oh smeg

+Quote Post
belle de mer
post Jun 16 2011, 02:48 AM
Post #31

EF-4 (Extreme Poster)

Member No.: 24,667

I have heard that one way to use Murphy's Law to your advantage is thru Reverse Psycology - that is appearing to strive for intended outcome in hopes that the opposite will happen. Anybody ?

--------------------

Be careful what you wish for , because you just might get it

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 16 2011, 10:35 AM
Post #32

EF-4 (Extreme Poster)

QUOTE(belle de mer @ Jun 16 2011, 02:48 AM) *
I have heard that one way to use Murphy's Law to your advantage is thru Reverse Psycology - that is appearing to strive for intended outcome in hopes that the opposite will happen. Anybody ?

That is a new one on me....

--------------------
In his farewell address (September 19, 1796), President George Washington told the nation: "Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. . . . Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government."

+Quote Post
zaxflaya
post Jun 16 2011, 10:42 AM
Post #33

EF-4 (Extreme Poster)

Member No.: 22,052

QUOTE(belle de mer @ Jun 16 2011, 02:48 AM) *

I don't think that's such a good idea. I believe it's good to strive for the best outcome, but have a backup plan in case that doesn't work.

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Jun 16 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #34

EF-4 (Extreme Poster)

QUOTE(zaxflaya @ Jun 16 2011, 10:42 AM) *
I don't think that's such a good idea. I believe it's good to strive for the best outcome, but have a backup plan in case that doesn't work.

+1

--------------------

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jun 19 2011, 12:20 AM
Post #35

EF-5 (Mega Poster)

Member No.: 13,204

QUOTE(belle de mer @ Jun 16 2011, 03:48 AM) *

If you plan for failure - Murphy will trip you up there also!

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_idecline_*
post Jun 19 2011, 03:16 AM
Post #36

Guests

If you plan for no specific outcome...then you are never disappointed... dry.gif

+Quote Post
Apologistnky
post Jun 19 2011, 04:39 AM
Post #37

EF-4 (Extreme Poster)

Member No.: 23,191

Like deaths and triplets...failures come in threes'!

--------------------

The Revolution has been in effect...go get a "late pass!"

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jun 21 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #38

EF-5 (Mega Poster)

Member No.: 13,204

Considering Murphy....

Who put together a project for school, and thought out efforts were absolute feces, and got an A for our lack of effort.

Who put together a project, and thought it was well reasoned, well crafted spot on wonderful, only to get a bad grade out of it.

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
belle de mer
post Jun 21 2011, 08:25 AM
Post #39

EF-4 (Extreme Poster)

Member No.: 24,667

QUOTE(mmi16 @ Jun 18 2011, 10:20 PM) *

+1

--------------------

Be careful what you wish for , because you just might get it

+Quote Post
CMeyers
post Jun 21 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #40

EF-4 (Extreme Poster)

Member No.: 22,879

QUOTE(mmi16 @ Jun 19 2011, 01:20 AM) *

True that... There's always a worse way for something to fail than you imagine. Just when you think you've got all the contingencies covered the one you missed kicks you in the behind. dry.gif

--------------------
ChsChargers09 - Please be aware that there is a significant chance I was being sarcastic in the above comment. Thank you.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2018 - 09:08 AM