Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com
We have updated our Privacy Policy and our Cookie Policy effective May 25, 2018. Please review them.
X

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hurricane Sandy Aftermath Discussion, NEW! NHC Changes Advisories for 2013
hckyplayer8
post Oct 30 2012, 09:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 16,148

Only suffered a 2 hr power outage.

Got off lucky.

--------------------
The opinions in my posts are of my own and do not represent those of the USAF.

Grand Forks AFB 2015-2016 Snowfall - 28.85" 52 days of trace

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Novachris
post Oct 30 2012, 09:22 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,907

reporting from NOVA...lots of rain some power outages and trees down but all and all nothing compared to NJ/NY/NE peeps.

+Quote Post
Jeff O
post Oct 30 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 21,878

Here in Albany , we were extremely fortunate...MAYBE .2" rain and gusts not exceeding 45mph.
Predictably, folks are on radio and social media slamming the local Mets for "overhype"
They were probably the same ones who criticized them for undercasting Irene last year.

+Quote Post
Orangezoo
post Oct 30 2012, 09:26 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 26,953

QUOTE(Jeff O @ Oct 30 2012, 10:24 AM) *
Here in Albany , we were extremely fortunate...MAYBE .2" rain and gusts not exceeding 45mph.
Predictably, folks are on radio and social media slamming the local Mets for "overhype"
They were probably the same ones who criticized them for undercasting Irene last year.

Here in eastern WV lost power from 8 last night until 8 this morning- not as bad as it felt it would be considering the winds were downright scary at times. Lots of local flooding, trees down and still many others without power. As said - nothing along the folks who were on the front lines of this storm.

+Quote Post
paletitsnow63
post Oct 30 2012, 09:59 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,714

Fortunately I got off easy. Received about 6" of rain. Winds were really roaring last night. Gusting to easily 50 MPH or a little more. Lights were flickering quite a bit and power went off about 4 times but came back on immediately. My sump pump was constantly running and I was worried about a power outage because the pump would no longer work. Fortunatley that never happened.

+Quote Post
jeffro
post Oct 30 2012, 10:07 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 21,809

About an inch of rain and a half inch of snow, with 40mph gusts.

Columbus, Ohio.

+Quote Post
wuzzy
post Oct 30 2012, 10:23 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 19,568

Lost power 5 pm yesterday, still without it. Neighbors pine tree came down and saw coastal flooding down the street that I have never seen before.

Coast Guard House restaurant in Narragansett RI has major damage.

Block Island

--------------------
10/11 Season - 60.9"
11/12 Season - 18.7"
12/13 Season - 52"
13/14 Season - 45"

14/15

11/27 - 1.1"
12/24 - record high 64F
12/25 - record high 63F
1/3 - 1.5"
1/9 - 1.5"
1/25 - 2.5"
1/27 - 19"
2/2 - 8"
2/9 - 9"
2/14 - 9"
2/17 - 3.5"
2/18 - 1"
2/22 - 2"
2/25 - 3"
3/1 - 5"
3/3 - 3"
3/5 - 6.5"
3/20 - 1.5"
3/28 - 1.2"

+Quote Post
Mike W IN herkim...
post Oct 30 2012, 10:23 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,547

No power for the last 12 here in freehold..I have some stuff hooked up to the generator and plenty of food and water..So im good right now..Still no cable and internet (least of my worries atm)...

This post has been edited by Mike W IN herkimer: Oct 30 2012, 10:25 AM

+Quote Post
chrissybot
post Oct 30 2012, 10:33 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 20,000

Sorry I posted in the other thread. I will just repeat it here....my power came back on at 3, but still people around me without power, landlines or cable, many trees down, wires down, trees in some homes, on cars...still mildly occasional gusty winds.....I am in shock over what happened in N.Y.!! And still praying for those in A.C.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Oct 30 2012, 10:38 AM
Post #10

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 14,521

This thread will encompass all regions that were affected by Sandy.

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

The Utility of the Bering Sea and East Asia Rules in Long-Range Forecasting
Organicforecasting Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
SandersZS
post Oct 30 2012, 10:41 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 24,470

My sister lost power in Alexandria VA around 9 PM last night but it is back up this morning.
Only 1 small tree down at my parents house right outside of DC and their power never went off.

+Quote Post
nuttyrich
post Oct 30 2012, 10:42 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 15,206

I live in Richmond Hill, Queens.. (NY). We didn't lose power, although there was a transformer sparking late last night.

I rode out the storm the whole time outside... saw many trees just crack in half, neighbor next door lost part of her roof.. and people across the street shingles flew off.

Take note I live on a dead end street so the wind wasn't as bad.

I did take a quick drive (against better judgement) to Crossbay all I can say is .. god bless them they will need it.

I hope we can maybe hear from people in the rockaways queens... I know many houses were on fire.. I hope we can get updates from there.

God bless,
Rich

+Quote Post
Stac in Pa
post Oct 30 2012, 10:44 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 16,751

We lost electric yesterday at 6:30 pm (Biglerville pa-10 min from the heart of Gettysburg pa). As of a half hr ago my boyfriend still had no electric back. I came to my brothers so Adam could try to get some sleep before work this evening. I didnt look up how much rain we got so far but it's a horrible feeling hearing cracking and snapping in pitch darkness last night then seeing the street filled with red flashing lights 2 neighbors up. They lost 2 big trees. If I never have to deal with Sandy again or a storm like her, im perfectly fine with that! I hope everyone stayed safe! Being without electric I dont know how Ny and Atlantic City are doing, but I pray they are all safe. I tried to upload a pic of the trees but it didnt upload. ill retry it.

--------------------
A single conversation with a wise man is better than 10 years of study~ Chinese proverb

Please don't laugh at my question because I want to learn, Only laugh if I choose NOT to learn........

+Quote Post
iambinarymind
post Oct 30 2012, 10:49 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 21,812

We lucked out here in Frederick, MD. We didn't have any interruption in our power (which is indeed quite lucky as 1/3 of Frederick County, MD is without power at this time).

My wife and I live in a 1 story 1BR apartment. Out front there are roof shingles scattered around the apartments, along with an immense amount of brown pine needles that were blown off of the large pine trees in front of our place (thankfully the trees directly in front of our apartment held steady).

It was definitely a night full of loud wind & banging of a smaller tree against the side of our apartment building. We are quite relieved that we were not forced to use our back-up supplies we purchased this past weekend.

Many thanks to all of the immensely knowledgeable forum members who did an amazing job of keeping my wife and I (and subsequently the many family members & friends who I kept up to date) fully informed throughout this historic weather event.

My hat goes off to all of you.

~In Liberty~

This post has been edited by iambinarymind: Oct 30 2012, 10:55 AM

--------------------
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
[ Stephen Hawking ]

"The only true national autonomy is the freedom of the individual against the state and society.
[ Ludwig von Mises ]

"It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.’ But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance."
[ Murray N. Rothbard ]

+Quote Post
lfunk11
post Oct 30 2012, 11:11 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 14,348

6-7" of snow at our house when I left this morning and it was an adventure trying to get to work. Many trees on the road or hanging down from the weight of the snow. Very little wind, so that saved us major damage. The trees were coming down without any wind just from the weight of the snow. There is a large tree hanging on the lines though so we may lose power later? There was a state plow on our little road coming up the mountain that slid off into the ditch. I68 was closed from Cheat Lake, WV to the MD border. Not sure if they opened it back up or not. Down in the lower elevations of Morgantown looks like 2-4" of snow. The higher elevations likely have been crushed with 2'+

Its turning to sleet/rain in Morgantown, but still snowing at my house and for sure snowing higher up

I thought there would be more wind, but didn't think we would see all this snow as of yesterday. The local NWS really messed up on that front.

+Quote Post
Stac in Pa
post Oct 30 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #16

Attached Image

I tried 3 times to upload, this is out of my car window as I came home from Adams, 2 neighbors up.

--------------------
A single conversation with a wise man is better than 10 years of study~ Chinese proverb

Please don't laugh at my question because I want to learn, Only laugh if I choose NOT to learn........

+Quote Post
sak
post Oct 30 2012, 11:23 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 25,962

well over 2 feet and still coming down in Davis, WV

+Quote Post
Stac in Pa
post Oct 30 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(sak @ Oct 30 2012, 12:23 PM) *
well over 2 feet and still coming down in Davis, WV

Wow, is that a car? Nice to see snow but wish it was under different conditions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Computer Guy
post Oct 30 2012, 11:30 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 25,225

Devastating, but yet amazing storm. IMBY just some branches, ton of leaves, but thankfully nothing more. Going to walk around later to see the damage up here in Harlem. This surpasses any Big daddy storm, should be called Big Mama.

Stay safe everyone.

+Quote Post
Stac in Pa
post Oct 30 2012, 11:38 AM
Post #20

Heres an updated electric outage map around me for Gettysburg area and surrounding towns.
Electric outages
You can zoom out to see alot of Southern Pa, who carry this Electric Company

--------------------

+Quote Post

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2018 - 09:21 AM