Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

45 Pages V  « < 43 44 45  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Long Range Winter 2017-2018: Thoughts, Outlooks and Discussion, Share your thoughts, forecasts, on-going trends and more
Southern Missour...
post Today, 10:09 AM
Post #881

Group: Member
Member No.: 20,483

QUOTE(grace @ Nov 17 2017, 12:29 AM) *
Why are so many professional guys bothered by cold tweets & not by blowtorch tweets? I've never understood that. Post a cold or blocking map & they'll slap your hand....post a fantasy heat ridge & they'll like it. #twitterpoliceareannoying smile.gif

Yep
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Southern Missour...
post Today, 10:10 AM
Post #882

QUOTE(ClicheVortex2014 @ Nov 17 2017, 02:41 AM) *
Well... lock it in... start stocking up on essentials because most of us will freeze to death on 12/22

Insane 1056mb high. No possible way this forecast could go wrong.

850mb temps running up to 21C (35F) colder than average

That would be awesome. Hope to see it.

+Quote Post
Southern Missour...
post Today, 10:20 AM
Post #883

QUOTE(Boomer @ Nov 17 2017, 09:31 AM) *
What's wrong with twitter? If used correctly, it's a quick, great way of disseminating information. Obviously there are people who are bad at explaining in few words, or just plain hype. But the 'in order, systematic timeline' style really suits sharing weather graphics, forecasts, and pictures.

Nothing at all wrong with Twitter imo, even more so with character limits being basically doubled or doubled of late (240 or 280 from 140 previously). With that, lots of room to get thoughts out for anyone capable or being concise. Great tool to provide links to forecasts and to share weather related information. I have a weather list customized with about 80 accounts and love it overall. Where else can one get that much constantly updating weather discussion/debate/information/real time event coverage etc so efficiently? I enjoy reading thoughts and discussions on analogs, trends in model data, live updates on current or future events, why something is or isn't likely to verify, potential solutions, debates on storm track possibilities, etc. Etc. For those who dont like it or hate it: why do you look at? Don't look and problem solved, right?

This post has been edited by Southern Missouri Snow Fan: Today, 10:48 AM

+Quote Post
grace
post Today, 11:44 AM
Post #884

Member No.: 21,017

I have no clue what winter will hold. Lots of reasons to like potential, but as always lots can go wrong. BUT one thing I'm very confident of is that this winter will be better than last...& I'm at least plumped about that.

If anyone tries to say this winter will be like last they better make an intelligent case.

1) Fire hose PAC jet not there like last year in NOV. It will extend at times but far different from last year. Last year was insane

2) SST's totally different both in N. PAC & ENSO regions, showing global patterns are not the same.

3) QBO is negative now. It's amazing for as much as the +QBO & Central based Nina combo was pointed out last winter again & again in NOV as a doom to winter....only cold bias folks beating the -QBO & East based Nina combo as holding out hope & potential for this winter.

4) Solar geometric conditions have been as quiet pre winter than it has been in several years. As far as sunspots we've had a blank sun several days & only a tiny sunspot or 2 for past 8-10 weeks.

5) If forcing holds that's causing SW ridging to persist it helps greatly to funnel cold air east of Rockies

Again, lots can go wrong but there's many reasons to be very confident of a better winter than last. That's really about all that can be really said at this point.

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Today, 12:10 PM
Post #885

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

QUOTE(grace @ Nov 18 2017, 10:44 AM) *
I have no clue what winter will hold. Lots of reasons to like potential, but as always lots can go wrong. BUT one thing I'm very confident of is that this winter will be better than last...& I'm at least plumped about that.

If anyone tries to say this winter will be like last they better make an intelligent case.

1) Fire hose PAC jet not there like last year in NOV. It will extend at times but far different from last year. Last year was insane

2) SST's totally different both in N. PAC & ENSO regions, showing global patterns are not the same.

3) QBO is negative now. It's amazing for as much as the +QBO & Central based Nina combo was pointed out last winter again & again in NOV as a doom to winter....only cold bias folks beating the -QBO & East based Nina combo as holding out hope & potential for this winter.

4) Solar geometric conditions have been as quiet pre winter than it has been in several years. As far as sunspots we've had a blank sun several days & only a tiny sunspot or 2 for past 8-10 weeks.

5) If forcing holds that's causing SW ridging to persist it helps greatly to funnel cold air east of Rockies
Again, lots can go wrong but there's many reasons to be very confident of a better winter than last. That's really about all that can be really said at this point.

Everything is looking good except #3 which was addressed by Anthony in this string.
https://twitter.com/antmasiello/status/931345611361783809

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

Organicforecasting Blog
Organicforecasting data
89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
grace
post Today, 12:47 PM
Post #886

Member No.: 21,017

QUOTE(jdrenken @ Nov 18 2017, 11:10 AM) *
Everything is looking good except #3 which was addressed by Anthony in this string.
https://twitter.com/antmasiello/status/931345611361783809

What he said doesn't eliminate #3. He sounded positive to me...that it's changing. It's a process that will be fine by the time it's needed. wink.gif

"You are referring to 1 depth of the QBO, likely at 30mb. I am describing the full layer between 100mb-10mb. It's mostly easterly, yes, except for lowest portion (100-50mb). That will eventually change going forward of course."

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Today, 01:05 PM
Post #887

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

QUOTE(grace @ Nov 18 2017, 11:47 AM) *
What he said doesn't eliminate #3. He sounded positive to me...that it's changing. It's a process that will be fine by the time it's needed. wink.gif

The key is how everyone is taking one slice of the QBO and misinterpreting it. Timing of when we get a full blown -QBO will be key.

On another note, I'm enjoying his AAM/MT string too!

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

Organicforecasting Blog
Organicforecasting data
89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post

45 Pages V  « < 43 44 45
Reply to this topicStart new topic
10 User(s) are reading this topic (9 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: Poppyh

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 08:08 PM