Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com
We have updated our Privacy Policy and our Cookie Policy effective May 25, 2018. Please review them.
X

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wiring Problems, Using the existing house wiring to channel the ISS to the Console
Rod S
post Jan 23 2010, 11:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 251

Hi,

I just moved into a new house which has been pre wired with Cat 5 Cable into RJ-11 Jacks using two pair (blue and white/blue & orange and white/orange wires) of the Cat 5. I'm trying to avoid making holes into the exterior of the house by using this existing wiring. I've connected the VP to the existing wiring via the exterior cable with a telephone junction box and I have the Console plugged into a telephone jack. All the wiring (4 Cat5 cables) are run into the junction box and are connected together as per their colour.

I've attached a diagram. The existing wiring is not connected to the Local Telephone system. It's only connected to the Vantage Pro.

Should it not be working? Is there any advise you can give me?

Thank you in advance.

Attached Image

--------------------
Rod
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dalecoy
post Jan 24 2010, 11:14 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,672

A bit hard to tell from your description, so far - but the Vantage wired cable is "straight through" rather than reversed. It won't hurt anything to try reversing the wires.

If you have the tool to do it, the easiest thing is to cut off either one of the RJ-11 plugs, and crimp another plug on with the "other" orientation.

Or, at one of the jacks, change the wires from ABCD to DCBA.

But remember what you did, so you can put it back the way it was if that doesn't work.

+Quote Post
Rod S
post Jan 24 2010, 01:37 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(dalecoy @ Jan 24 2010, 11:14 AM) *
A bit hard to tell from your description, so far - but the Vantage wired cable is "straight through" rather than reversed. It won't hurt anything to try reversing the wires.

If you have the tool to do it, the easiest thing is to cut off either one of the RJ-11 plugs, and crimp another plug on with the "other" orientation.

Or, at one of the jacks, change the wires from ABCD to DCBA.

But remember what you did, so you can put it back the way it was if that doesn't work.

Thank you. I'll give that a try!

--------------------
Rod

+Quote Post
dalecoy
post Jan 24 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #4

Please let us know what works.

+Quote Post
dalecoy
post Feb 2 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(dalecoy @ Jan 24 2010, 03:24 PM) *
Please let us know what works.

Please pardon the gratuitous comment -- it's really annoying to give well-intentioned advice, and not get feedback whether that advice solved the problem or not.

+Quote Post
Rod S
post May 15 2018, 09:34 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(dalecoy @ Feb 2 2010, 10:58 AM) *
Please pardon the gratuitous comment -- it's really annoying to give well-intentioned advice, and not get feedback whether that advice solved the problem or not.

Apologies for being 8 years late but military life got in the way and I never saw this post, my bad.
The above suggestion didn't work for me but perhaps it would work for someone more technically skilled than me. I ended up drilling a hole to pass the wire through. I'll endeavor to be a better forum member in the future.

Thanks.

--------------------
Rod

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2018 - 02:27 PM