Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

159 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Jan. 7-9 Mid-Atl/NE Winter Storm, Possibility: Medium Range [4-8 Days Out] FORECAST
SteelerFan420
post Dec 29 2016, 02:38 AM
Post #41

Group: Member
Member No.: 30,729

QUOTE(jdrenken @ Dec 28 2016, 12:28 PM) *
A thread created based on the CFS blink.gif ...you are bold aren't you!

I don't mind, Been dying to read something/anything at all for MidAtl
CFS can't be wrong forever, Can it?
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

--------------------

Red sky at night, sailorís delight.
Red
sky in morning, sailorís heed warning!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Dec 29 2016, 03:27 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 21,746

Attached Image

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Dec 29 2016, 03:43 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 28,288

From the organic forecasting thread. Please allow a little "wiggle"

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Dec 22 2016, 04:23 AM) *
After weeks of boring SOI deltas, we finally got a little action.

I'm probably trying to get too cute here, but could this signal a pumped up ridge moving through the eastern CONUS Jan 8-9ish, with a sharp trof to follow?

[attachment=305902:Screensh..._16_47_1.png]

--------------------
The Solar Eclipse is coming!! Thread

"z = z2 + c" - Benoit Mandelbrot

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Dec 29 2016, 04:24 AM
Post #44

Here's the "problem" with starting a LR thread and not being specific as to which bundle of energy you are attributing to being the genesis of the threat.

This thread started for dates of 6-8, offering only the CFS for support - and one frame at that (the "candy" as we call it).

Then, the next run of the GFS caused a date shift to the 9-11 - again, the dates changed to match the candy shot.

Then, the models spun the wheel once again went round and round - now we have a compromise date change to the 7-9.

Now, the 00z GFSp runs and shows this

A system for the threads original dates - actually, two of them if one wants to get technical

Attached Image

Attached Image

AND one for the adjusted date when it was the 9th - which would be the what? second or third adjustment?

Attached Image

Stormtracker - I'm giving you a lot of slack with this. You have told us that you are quite young. And I get that you're getting "anxious". Therefore, you are very "green" at doing this. That is why I asked you to check with Renken (or any moderator).

Now, we (still) have a mess to sort out.

My vote is that the thread dates get changed back to original - and don't change them EVER. Especially in a very fast paced pattern we'll need to be very careful. EVEN those of us who've known the ropes for a while.

This post has been edited by Undertakerson: Dec 29 2016, 04:35 AM

+Quote Post
conifer1
post Dec 29 2016, 06:39 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 27,092

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Dec 29 2016, 05:24 AM) *
Here's the "problem" with starting a LR thread and not being specific as to which bundle of energy you are attributing to being the genesis of the threat.

This thread started for dates of 6-8, offering only the CFS for support - and one frame at that (the "candy" as we call it).

Then, the next run of the GFS caused a date shift to the 9-11 - again, the dates changed to match the candy shot.

Then, the models spun the wheel once again went round and round - now we have a compromise date change to the 7-9.

A system for the threads original dates - actually, two of them if one wants to get technical

Attached Image

Attached Image

AND one for the adjusted date when it was the 9th - which would be the what? second or third adjustment?

Attached Image

Stormtracker - I'm giving you a lot of slack with this. You have told us that you are quite young. And I get that you're getting "anxious". Therefore, you are very "green" at doing this. That is why I asked you to check with Renken (or any moderator).

My vote is that the thread dates get changed back to original - and don't change them EVER. Especially in a very fast paced pattern we'll need to be very careful. EVEN those of us who've known the ropes for a while.

Spoken like a true moderator! Err, wait a second....

--------------------
Snow in the South is wonderful. It has a kind of magic and mystery that it has nowhere else. And the reason for this is that it comes to people in the South not as the grim, unyielding tenant of Winter's keep, but as a strange and wild visitor from the secret North - Thomas Wolfe

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Dec 29 2016, 06:42 AM
Post #46

QUOTE(conifer1 @ Dec 29 2016, 06:39 AM) *
Spoken like a true moderator! Err, wait a second....

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Honestly, only trying to help.

If I were a Mod, I would lock this threads dates and not allow any change. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
MD Blue Ridge
post Dec 29 2016, 06:49 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 25,332

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Dec 29 2016, 06:42 AM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif

If I were a Mod, I would lock this threads dates and not allow any change. tongue.gif

I, for one am glad your power is limited Mussolini, er, I mean UT. smile.gif

Thread dates are a tricky game, and not trying to copy MJ, but long range is painfully difficult.

--------------------
Blue Ridge Bouncer

Cascade, MD
Elevation: 1625'

90 Degree Days in 2017: 0

+Quote Post
NorEaster07
post Dec 29 2016, 07:37 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 18,864

btw.. Euro00z January 7th

Swath of 3-8" from Kansas, Arkansas, TN, Kentucky, Virginias and NJ.

8"+ for higher hills of WV and PA

(last frame)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
NorEaster07
post Dec 29 2016, 07:46 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 18,864

Euro00zEPScontrol stays south with the storm. Exits Carolinas

+Quote Post
conifer1
post Dec 29 2016, 07:52 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 27,092

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Dec 29 2016, 07:42 AM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif

As a college professor, teaching Online courses, I do that very thing! Perhaps all involved will have learned a couple of takeaways from this experience.

--------------------
Snow in the South is wonderful. It has a kind of magic and mystery that it has nowhere else. And the reason for this is that it comes to people in the South not as the grim, unyielding tenant of Winter's keep, but as a strange and wild visitor from the secret North - Thomas Wolfe

+Quote Post
StormTracker
post Dec 29 2016, 07:53 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 30,755

QUOTE(NorEaster07 @ Dec 29 2016, 07:37 AM) *
btw.. Euro00z January 7th

Swath of 3-8" from Kansas, Arkansas, TN, Kentucky, Virginias and NJ.

8"+ for higher hills of WV and PA

(last frame)

Attached Image

What about for Pa

+Quote Post
hack5
post Dec 29 2016, 10:14 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 15,244

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Dec 29 2016, 04:24 AM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Woah. This is an amateur weather discussion forum. Take it easy buddy. You just spent several paragraphs blasting a kid because the date on a potential storm had to be changed a couple of times. Let's try to keep some perspective here.

+Quote Post
StormTracker
post Dec 29 2016, 10:30 AM
Post #53

QUOTE(hack5 @ Dec 29 2016, 10:14 AM) *
Woah. This is an amateur weather discussion forum. Take it easy buddy. You just spent several paragraphs blasting a kid because the date on a potential storm had to be changed a couple of times. Let's try to keep some perspective here.

Thank you so much. UTS, i bet you when you were 15 you weren't nearly as good as half of my ability. laugh.gif seriously though, take it easy. It's only a date

This post has been edited by StormTracker: Dec 29 2016, 10:30 AM

+Quote Post
clindner00
post Dec 29 2016, 10:59 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 17,586

QUOTE(hack5 @ Dec 29 2016, 10:14 AM) *

I did not take it at all as UTS blasting Stormtracker. He is more or less trying to help guide him to make things easier on all members. There could potentially be 3 storms during the dates that were used so we just need to focus on one bundle of energy. However, it is very difficult in the long range since it will change a million times until then. We generally try to start threads within 6-7 days at most this year to help eliminate any confusion and that's still technically long range.

+Quote Post
kdskidoo
post Dec 29 2016, 10:59 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 20,561

QUOTE(StormTracker @ Dec 29 2016, 10:30 AM) *
Thank you so much. UTS, i bet you when you were 15 you weren't nearly as good as half of my ability. laugh.gif seriously though, take it easy. It's only a date

dates are important when talking about events in the weather more than a week in advance. it can be confusing when there are multiple waves or storms showing up on models and both are being discussed in the same thread. that's why , IMO, threads shouldn't be started for storms more than a week in advance, but should be discussed in a separate thread titled " pattern discussion" or in the long range thread. too many times storms that appear on models with that much lead time will either disappear entirely or be delayed till a later date. I know we all want a good storm to track for as long as we can, myself included, and I'm not busting on anyone, I just think threads shouldn't be started for storms 10 days out.

--------------------
2015/16 snow totals

+Quote Post
MD Blue Ridge
post Dec 29 2016, 11:05 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 25,332

QUOTE(clindner00 @ Dec 29 2016, 10:59 AM) *
I did not take it at all as UTS blasting Stormtracker. He is more or less trying to help guide him to make things easier on all members. There could potentially be 3 storms during the dates that were used so we just need to focus on one bundle of energy. However, it is very difficult in the long range since it will change a million times until then. We generally try to start threads within 6-7 days at most this year to help eliminate any confusion and that's still technically long range.

Agreed. Translation can be difficult in print. UT means no harm. I assure you.

Storm Tracker I enjoy your youthful exuberance and energy, opening threads is tricky business and something many folks in here take very seriously. All is well.

--------------------
Blue Ridge Bouncer

Cascade, MD
Elevation: 1625'

90 Degree Days in 2017: 0

+Quote Post
StormTracker
post Dec 29 2016, 11:12 AM
Post #57

QUOTE(MD Blue Ridge @ Dec 29 2016, 11:05 AM) *
Agreed. Translation can be difficult in print. UT means no harm. I assure you.

Storm Tracker I enjoy your youthful exuberance and energy, opening threads is tricky business and something many folks in here take very seriously. All is well.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
SnowMan11
post Dec 29 2016, 11:34 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 14,017

CMC shows a big storm along the coast

--------------------
Anthony

+Quote Post
StormTracker
post Dec 29 2016, 11:36 AM
Post #59

QUOTE(SnowMan11 @ Dec 29 2016, 11:34 AM) *
CMC shows a big storm along the coast

Does it? It only has loaded up to the third for me

+Quote Post
Snobal
post Dec 29 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 27,253

QUOTE(StormTracker @ Dec 29 2016, 10:30 AM) *

It is ok that you did this because it is your first time and you dont know yet how it works around here but next time try not to start a thread until we are inside of 7 days of threat.

--------------------
Annual Snowfall:
16'/17' = 32"
15'/16' = 24"
14'/15' = 49"
13'/14' = 55"

Historical Average : 40"

+Quote Post

159 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 08:39 PM