Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> VP2 wind gauge failure
das1989
post Oct 10 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,216

My VP2 Wireless anemometer recently stopped transmitting (partially). I still get wind direction, but w.s. reads 0. The cups are spinning freely, so there are no obvious external defects. Any suggestions?

**Sorry--posted this in the wrong section. Any way to move it?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mark / Ohio
post Oct 10 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 49

Could be the reed switch inside the anemometer. Davis replaced my VP1's anemometer under warranty for that problem with those symptoms. Could also be a problem in the ISS decoding the signal from the anemometer or the wire between the two has become damaged.

I could tap on the base of my mast with a hammer and get the anemometer to start reading wind speed again for a brief period.

--------------------
Mark

Davis Vantage Pro I Wireless

+Quote Post
°rjan
post Oct 11 2007, 02:41 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9

reed switch, yes............

°rjan

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bugs
post Oct 14 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 296

Before throwing the reed switch out, remove the cups, clean out the bottom of the shaft hole with drill bit and re-install ensure the cups are totally pushed up as far as they will go (they will then drop slightly when fixed) before clamping the grub screw.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_Joseph Toubes_*
post Oct 14 2007, 09:43 PM
Post #5

Guests

also look for a broken wire or if the lead down might be bent. I think it is the yellow wire that causes this problem.

Definitely do two things. Have Davis send you out their test button. I don't know why they don't include this useful thing in with their kits,but they should.

it is a momentary switch connected via an cable to a plug that fits in the wind socket.

You push it a couple of times rapidly and you should see a jump in wind speed, then you know your ISS is fine.

The second is after checking for everything we suggest.. contact Davis to send you out a new one, that is to exchange your in warranty unit for a new one in exchange.

When you get the replacement should you not be able to fix it, then test the replacement before the replacement is shipped back.

+Quote Post
jruys
post Oct 15 2007, 08:28 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,370

I have had the same thing happen twice, and it was not the anemometer, it was the wireless transmitter. And I know this because I tried a spare anemometer and it also did not work with the transmitter but worked just fine when I plugged it into the IIS. The first time it happened I sent the transmitter back to Davis since it was still under warranty, although they continually thought it was the anemometer instead. Once I get the new transmitter everything worked fine. The second time this happened I went up and unplugged the anemometer from the transmitter and then plugged it back in after about a minute and magic, everything started working again, so you may want to try that. If you don't have a spare anemometer lying around, which most people don't, call up Davis and I am sure they will send you a tester cable first because they will say it is the anemometer. Once you get the tester cable you will be able to determine what the problem is.

-jruys
www.ruysfamily.com

+Quote Post
srpawski
post Oct 16 2007, 04:21 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 28

I don't understand why you guys are so concerned about the anemometer not working while Brittney Spears is in the process of being booked on hit and run charges. When I launched my browser 5 minutes ago and read the headline I puked twice and have managed to successfully bite the nails on my hands to the point they are bleeding. I am afraid of what the outcome might be for her.... Anyone remember Anna Nicole Smith?

Speaking of anemometers, has anyone sent one back in to be reconditioned? I actually have one that I replaced in May 2005 with a new one as I though it was faulty but ended up not being as the problem was with not having a weather tight seal in my junction box. I have thought about sending it in to them on and off since then but haven't. I ran across it in my closet two weekends ago when I was rearranging it forgetting I had it.

--------------------
Scott Pawlowski

Dell Dimension Desktop E521 Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.00GHz, 512Kx2) 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz

Dell Inspiron Desktop E531 Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.0GHz, 512Kx2) 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

Dell Inspiron Notebook E1505 Core 2 Duo T5600 (2MB/1.83GHz/667MHz) 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

HP Mediasmart Home Server EX 470 2GB DDR2 SDRAM

+Quote Post
davss.com
post Oct 8 2012, 11:21 AM
Post #8

Group: Member
Member No.: 26,974

My station is over 12 months old now and was purchased in the UK then upgraded to 24-hr fan, solar sensor and installed in Poland.

The original anemometer worked fine for 10 months then stopped sending data to the console. I unscrewed the cups to check and right after reattaching them wind speed data started showing on the console again (no cleaning was done).
The console was then taken down for a yearly maintenance, anemometer cleaned properly and reattached all the way up close to the reed switch. Two months passed and it's not sending wind speed data again (all other sensors including wind direction are working ok).

Polish local resellers are asking a ridiculous price of nearly $300 for a new replacement part! This is unacceptable for me to pay for one part nearly 50% of a new console price. The console wasn't cheap and thus parts should last longer than one year in my humble opionion. Also, it puts in question product's quality.

Presume there is no chance of getting a test cable here... at least haven't seen any for sale so it leaves me with expensive try and error method for narrowind down root causes ;/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 09:13 PM