Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

404 Pages V  « < 402 403 404  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Major Hurricane Irma, 9/10 7PM EDT CAT 2 - 110 MPH - 940mb - Movement: N @ 14mph
longislander
post Sep 12 2017, 06:31 PM
Post #8061

Group: Member
Member No.: 25,937

Wow, damage sounds bad. Good luck Ron.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Burr@Work
post Sep 12 2017, 06:33 PM
Post #8062

Member No.: 12,588

QUOTE(snowlover2 @ Sep 12 2017, 06:49 PM) *
Glad you're ok.

Agreed! Nobody hurt, and power back so quick. Long road ahead, but first steps sound promising. G'luck!!! Please keep us posted. (That goes for everyone affected)

--------------------
*** Forecast Challenge 2016-2017 Bronze Medal Winner! ***

+Quote Post
stretchct
post Sep 12 2017, 08:47 PM
Post #8063

Member No.: 16,470

QUOTE(Ron in Miami @ Sep 12 2017, 06:47 PM) *
First time I could access the internet in days, the cell phone grid in Miami took a big hit with Irma. My service Sprint has been almost useless. Only thing going through sporadically is texts. AT&T, didn't fair much better. Only network working half decent is MetroPCS which is the econo brand cell service. I just now got back from buying a new phone with them so I could have some service.

Just got power back on today which is nice, so many down here still without power. Cable is down as well, Comcast got mollywopped too. Looks like someone took a weedwhacker to the phone and cable lines down here. I've been concerned with Jose because last I saw before the storm was he's supposed to do a loop and might come back this way. Haven't even checked the models yet to see what it's gonna do.

My house took a beating here, lost 2 trees in back and both did damage coming down. First off, #BrownShed didn't make it. She survived the winds quite well....just not the massive tree that blew over and landed on her. It took structual damage, crushing the framework. It split open at the back and has a gangster lean now.

Other tree landed on my house...not fun at 3am to wake up to a tree falling on you. It damaged the roof pretty bad. It caused a leak that made part of my dining room ceiling collapse from water intrusion. Today when I inspected the roof the corner seems to be pushed down, probably damaged the trusses.

And my wood privacy fence took a beating from the 2 trees that fell and my gate was destroyed.

All in all we faired ok, the family is safe and I'm gonna get in touch with an insurance adjuster this week. I'll post some pics once I get net back. I have some on my other phone but Sprint sucks at the moment.

Sorry to hear about the house. Hoping it gets fixed soon. Glad to hear you and the family are ok.

--------------------
My Wunderground station
weather in my area and winter storm/hurricane model analysis

Send some cold beer!

First measurable
First flakes
First freeze
First frost

Seasonal snow - normal 44"
2016-17: 58"
2015-16: 33.5"
2014-2015 57"
2013-2014 58.25"
2012-2013 64.5"
2011-2012 30.5"
2010-2011 79"
2009-2010 49"

+Quote Post
todd305
post Sep 12 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #8064

Member No.: 24,917

https://t.co/SLIcqtr2rm?amp=1

https://youtu.be/Hl-9BdPkp-0

Good Lord

This post has been edited by todd305: Sep 12 2017, 09:19 PM

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Sep 13 2017, 08:07 AM
Post #8065

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

QUOTE(Ron in Miami @ Sep 12 2017, 05:47 PM) *
First time I could access the internet in days, the cell phone grid in Miami took a big hit with Irma. My service Sprint has been almost useless. Only thing going through sporadically is texts. AT&T, didn't fair much better. Only network working half decent is MetroPCS which is the econo brand cell service. I just now got back from buying a new phone with them so I could have some service.

Just got power back on today which is nice, so many down here still without power. Cable is down as well, Comcast got mollywopped too. Looks like someone took a weedwhacker to the phone and cable lines down here. I've been concerned with Jose because last I saw before the storm was he's supposed to do a loop and might come back this way. Haven't even checked the models yet to see what it's gonna do.

My house took a beating here, lost 2 trees in back and both did damage coming down. First off, #BrownShed didn't make it. She survived the winds quite well....just not the massive tree that blew over and landed on her. It took structual damage, crushing the framework. It split open at the back and has a gangster lean now.

Other tree landed on my house...not fun at 3am to wake up to a tree falling on you. It damaged the roof pretty bad. It caused a leak that made part of my dining room ceiling collapse from water intrusion. Today when I inspected the roof the corner seems to be pushed down, probably damaged the trusses.

And my wood privacy fence took a beating from the 2 trees that fell and my gate was destroyed.

All in all we faired ok, the family is safe and I'm gonna get in touch with an insurance adjuster this week. I'll post some pics once I get net back. I have some on my other phone but Sprint sucks at the moment.

Glad to see you Ron!

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

Organicforecasting Blog
Organicforecasting data
89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Sep 13 2017, 08:17 AM
Post #8066

Member No.: 14,521

QUOTE(longislander @ Sep 11 2017, 08:53 PM) *
Because Florida gets no snow, the electrical grid is built "poorly" down there - less resilient than it would be in a state where there was snow load.

Snow has nothing to do with it. In fact, Florida being the state with the most lightning strikes in the USA, it would argue the opposite.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/201...icane_irma.html
In 2013, FPL finished installing what was likely the most advanced energy grid in the country, a project for which the company had invested almost $3 billion. The U.S. Department of Energy awarded FPL $200 million for the grid from 2009 Recovery Act funds. Thanks to the resulting smart technologies in the system, such as sophisticated sensors and automated switches, the Florida utility was able to prevent some outages and mitigate others during Hurricanes Matthew and Hermine in 2016. Remarkably, 99 percent of FPL’s customers affected by Matthew had their energy restored within two days after the storm had left, and the average outage during Hermine was less than three hours.

http://www.floridatrend.com/article/18280/...chnology-center

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

Organicforecasting Blog
Organicforecasting data
89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Sep 13 2017, 09:02 AM
Post #8067

Member No.: 16,666

QUOTE(jdrenken @ Sep 13 2017, 09:17 AM) *
Snow has nothing to do with it. In fact, Florida being the state with the most lightning strikes in the USA it would argue the opposite.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/201...icane_irma.html
http://www.floridatrend.com/article/18280/...chnology-center

Yes, and to your point, they also spent a great deal of money doing such things as shortening the distance between poles, changing the type of poles, and several other things to help ease the outages. Shortening the distance between the poles in areas was quite the stroke of genius, IMHO. Theory was that when trees and branches fall on the lines, the shorter distance will cause the lines to bend, vs. pulling the lines (and possibly the poles) down completely. Hence less outages, and it appeared to work in the areas such as the Keys where this was done.

+Quote Post
risingriver
post Sep 13 2017, 11:31 AM
Post #8068

Member No.: 15,632

Irma is still killing people in Florida, or her impacts are.

Very sad story. Florida heat and humidity and no AC are a dangerous mix.

Nursing home deaths

NWS never used the uninhabitable language in Irma warnings like it did Harvey, but sounds like many places in Florida create a struggle for daily survival for those living in the aftermath.

+Quote Post
todd305
post Sep 13 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #8069

Member No.: 24,917

QUOTE(risingriver @ Sep 13 2017, 12:31 PM) *
Irma is still killing people in Florida, or her impacts are.

Very sad story. Florida heat and humidity and no AC are a dangerous mix.

Nursing home deaths

NWS never used the uninhabitable language in Irma warnings like it did Harvey, but sounds like many places in Florida create a struggle for daily survival for those living in the aftermath.

Last night was the hottest post hurricane night I've ever tried to sleep through. Almost similar to trying too fall asleep in a gym steamroom - nearly impossible. These elderly people had no chance, just truly awful.

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Sep 13 2017, 05:52 PM
Post #8070

Member No.: 16,666

Is it me, or is Irma the girlfriend you dumped, but just won't let go, keeps hanging around? Man, she has been around like forever. And the remnants were supposed to die out, and do very little on its trek east? Does she look dead yet blink.gif
I have noticed over the years that some of these canes and tropical systems just seem to have a life of their own, have incredible staying power, incredible vigor,and just don't die even when they are supposed to. Even though this isn't technically tropical anymore, it is still Irma, and how many weeks has it lived??

+Quote Post
risingriver
post Sep 13 2017, 06:29 PM
Post #8071

Member No.: 15,632

QUOTE(rtcemc @ Sep 13 2017, 06:52 PM) *
Is it me, or is Irma the girlfriend you dumped, but just won't let go, keeps hanging around? Man, she has been around like forever. And the remnants were supposed to die out, and do very little on its trek east? Does she look dead yet blink.gif
I have noticed over the years that some of these canes and tropical systems just seem to have a life of their own, have incredible staying power, incredible vigor,and just don't die even when they are supposed to. Even though this isn't technically tropical anymore, it is still Irma, and how many weeks has it lived??

Her ghost is trying to give Ohio the what for right now.

This post has been edited by risingriver: Sep 13 2017, 06:30 PM

+Quote Post
WeatherMonger
post Sep 15 2017, 07:56 AM
Post #8072

Member No.: 21,113

Wow

Source

"Not a single living person" remains on the Caribbean island of Barbuda following the devastation of Hurricane Irma, the island's ambassador to the U.S. says.

“The damage is complete,” Ronald Sanders, who has been Antigua and Barbuda’s ambassador to the United States since 2015, told USA Today.

“For the first time in 300 years, there’s not a single living person on the island of Barbuda — a civilization that has existed on that island for over 300 years has now been extinguished.”

+Quote Post
Ron in Miami
post Sep 18 2017, 07:23 PM
Post #8073

Member No.: 23,522

This was recorded at a realitives house in Miami Lakes FL. When you see whitecaps in a lake you know it's getting real O_o

Hurricane Irma in Miami Lakes FL Youtube video

+Quote Post
Phased Vort
post Sep 18 2017, 07:32 PM
Post #8074

Member No.: 12,468

QUOTE(Ron in Miami @ Sep 18 2017, 07:23 PM) *
This was recorded at a realitives house in Miami Lakes FL. When you see whitecaps in a lake you know it's getting real O_o

Hurricane Irma in Miami Lakes FL Youtube video

Indeed my friend!

I´m glad you and your family are healthy.

--------------------
Phasing's done. The Vort's out.

[

+Quote Post
Ron in Miami
post Sep 18 2017, 07:37 PM
Post #8075

QUOTE(Phased Vort @ Sep 18 2017, 08:32 PM) *
Indeed my friend!

I´m glad you and your family are healthy.

Thanks for the well wishes! Still dealing with the aftermath, cleaning up and waiting on the insurance company. They assigned an adjuster last week but have yet to hear from them. They are probably overwhelmed with people filing claims for damages.

I was thinking about doing a youtube video myself, driving around my area and filming the damage. Still so many trees down, and my parents still don't have power on yet on their street! O_o

+Quote Post
Phased Vort
post Sep 18 2017, 07:49 PM
Post #8076

Member No.: 12,468

QUOTE(Ron in Miami @ Sep 18 2017, 07:37 PM) *
Thanks for the well wishes! Still dealing with the aftermath, cleaning up and waiting on the insurance company. They assigned an adjuster last week but have yet to hear from them. They are probably overwhelmed with people filing claims for damages.

I was thinking about doing a youtube video myself, driving around my area and filming the damage. Still so many trees down, and my parents still don't have power on yet on their street! O_o

Yea...

Hurricanes...

Be positive! You will come over on top! smile.gif

--------------------
Phasing's done. The Vort's out.

[

+Quote Post
TC1
post Yesterday, 12:19 AM
Post #8077

Member No.: 30,836

Sorry to hear about the brown shed's demise, Ron. But, it's good to see that you and yours made it through everything without losing everything.

How have the other Floridians here fared?

This post has been edited by TC1: Yesterday, 12:20 AM

+Quote Post
USCG AST
post Yesterday, 01:15 AM
Post #8078

Member No.: 28,905

QUOTE(Ron in Miami @ Sep 18 2017, 08:37 PM) *

Sir, friends and I are attempting to put together supplies and a team for Florida. Is there anything you could suggest?

--------------------
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give" -Churchill

+Quote Post
Ron in Miami
post Yesterday, 04:31 AM
Post #8079

QUOTE(USCG AST @ Sep 19 2017, 02:15 AM) *
Sir, friends and I are attempting to put together supplies and a team for Florida. Is there anything you could suggest?

I guess it depends on where in FL you are headed. I honestly couldn't tell you where to begin...if you're headed down to the keys, food & water would be the first thing. Then I'd say maybe some building supplies, tarps, plywood, etc.

Gas is coming back in stock most places already. Definitely bring some chainsaws, those are hard to find and the moment and trees are down everywhere. A lot of people still have limited access due to trees blocking roads and houses.

Try checking with some local relief organizations to see what they might suggest. I just got internet back so I haven't seen much news about what's going on.

Oh, bring tons of mosquito repellent because they are terrible down here right now.

+Quote Post
USCG AST
post Yesterday, 02:15 PM
Post #8080

Member No.: 28,905

QUOTE(Ron in Miami @ Sep 19 2017, 05:31 AM) *
I guess it depends on where in FL you are headed. I honestly couldn't tell you where to begin...if you're headed down to the keys, food & water would be the first thing. Then I'd say maybe some building supplies, tarps, plywood, etc.

Gas is coming back in stock most places already. Definitely bring some chainsaws, those are hard to find and the moment and trees are down everywhere. A lot of people still have limited access due to trees blocking roads and houses.

Try checking with some local relief organizations to see what they might suggest. I just got internet back so I haven't seen much news about what's going on.

Oh, bring tons of mosquito repellent because they are terrible down here right now.

Thank you sir. Your input is much appreciated. I am glad you and your family are are safe.

--------------------
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give" -Churchill

+Quote Post

404 Pages V  « < 402 403 404
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 06:52 PM