Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Random posts for random topics, Non weather related
markj138
post Dec 23 2016, 04:18 PM
Post #21

Group: Member
Member No.: 20,461

I saw Rogue One recently & all i can say is if you like the Star wars Trilogy then this is a must see,
it has action,it has humor,it has cheeseiness & of course it has Lord Vader in an epic scene at the end of the movie,the whole movie leeds into............A New Hope
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Dec 27 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 23,784

I'm off to see the movie now. I'll probably post my spoiler-free impressions when I'm back later.

12z Euro info will be slightly delayed from my end as a result, my apologies for that.

+Quote Post
JJ Snowlover
post Dec 27 2016, 04:47 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 24,422

RIP Carrie Fisher sad.gif

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Dec 27 2016, 06:45 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(JJ Snowlover @ Dec 27 2016, 04:47 PM) *
RIP Carrie Fisher sad.gif

Just back. We got this news as I was driving in and it was utterly heartbreaking. I walked into the theater in a state of shock which undoubtedly clouded my judgment.

Still, I was extremely impressed by Rogue One. My preference is to have my fantasy down in the trenches and relatively grounded so this fulfilled all my expectations and then some. In life we often neglect a true recognition of the grey zone between idealism and reality but this was hardened and respectful, firmly placing you in a territory where truth operates. Loss is a defining & integral part of the human experience and this was mindful of that.

Part of what rubbed me the wrong way about TFA is the leap of faith required and Rogue One asks for nothing of the sort. I thought it immediately respected the intelligence of the audience in the best manner a science fiction or fantasy film buff could ever expect.

+Quote Post
Andros
post Dec 27 2016, 06:53 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 23,104

I'm not sure whether this year really had more celebrity deaths than usual or not, but we did lose some really huge stars this year. Cultural icons. David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Prince, Muhammed Ali, Leonard Cohen, George Michael, Carrie Fisher...

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Dec 27 2016, 07:09 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(Andros @ Dec 27 2016, 06:53 PM) *
I'm not sure whether this year really had more celebrity deaths than usual or not, but we did lose some really huge stars this year. Cultural icons. David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Prince, Muhammed Ali, Leonard Cohen, George Michael, Carrie Fisher...

To be honest I'm still trying to absorb it all and the timing of this one was really impactful given the circumstances. The notification came through my friend's phone literally a few minutes before we pulled in and it still shocked me regardless of the fact that I knew she had suffered a heart attack days earlier.

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Dec 27 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #27

The amazing thing is how this movie cut through that and delivered anyway, not that I want to detract from the news. I don't feel like there would be much of a better tribute other than replaying the original trilogy itself.

+Quote Post
JJ Snowlover
post Dec 29 2016, 02:28 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(bigmt @ Dec 27 2016, 07:12 PM) *
The amazing thing is how this movie cut through that and delivered anyway, not that I want to detract from the news. I don't feel like there would be much of a better tribute other than replaying the original trilogy itself.

The end of the movie was a great tribute to the princess!

+Quote Post
JJ Snowlover
post Dec 29 2016, 02:57 PM
Post #29

I feel like its been long enough waiting for those who hadnt seen Rogue One, that I can openly discuss the movie, but SPOILER ALERT for those who havent seen it.

For tone of the movie, costumes, special effects, and fitting into the timeline of right before ANH, I give it an A+

For comedy, acting, action scenes, brining in the old things I love, like AT-AT I give it an A+

But for plot and holding the audience attention, I found it slightly struggled at first, but got going as the movie progressed. The opening scene was great (I did miss the standard opening Star Wars title, but being an anthology and the fact we knew the time period, I get it wasnt necessary) however, after that it seemed to struggle a bit with switching to lots of planets while it built a little more of the story. Once they got to Jedha it seemed to get better.

Dont get me wrong, it was an amazing movie, 1000 times better than any of the 1 - 3 episodes, but not sure Im ready to say it was better than TFA. I dont think there was anything more they could have done to improve that for me, maybe I have to see it again or compare that to other sideways stories they have planned like the Han Solo story. Maybe its the fact that I am still attached to the original characters.

The Darth Vader scene at the end of the movie was epic, the best I have seen since ROTJ, and what was I was hoping for from Episode 3 that was missing.

And the closing scene with Lea was so fitting, almost like they knew. I did like how they tied the end of the movie directly into ANH, unlike we have ever seen in any SW movie because of the timeline. The end battle scene was among my favourite of all time…

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Dec 29 2016, 03:49 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(JJ Snowlover @ Dec 29 2016, 02:57 PM) *
For tone of the movie, costumes, special effects, and fitting into the timeline of right before ANH, I give it an A+

Couldn't agree more. I love that we're back to the 'well-used' look to everything from the OT, in both this and TFA. The prequels were so pristine and artificial by comparison.

For comedy, acting, action scenes, brining in the old things I love, like AT-AT I give it an A+

I feel like the comedy was well-placed but not overstated given the war movie tone.

But for plot and holding the audience attention, I found it slightly struggled at first, but got going as the movie progressed. The opening scene was great (I did miss the standard opening Star Wars title, but being an anthology and the fact we knew the time period, I get it wasnt necessary) however, after that it seemed to struggle a bit with switching to lots of planets while it built a little more of the story. Once they got to Jedha it seemed to get better.

I vote for saving the opening title for the core movies so that was fine with me. I missed John Williams as the composer but the musical tributes were also tasteful and not over the top.

There were some pacing and editing issues but nothing that was glaring IMO.

Dont get me wrong, it was an amazing movie, 1000 times better than any of the 1 - 3 episodes, but not sure Im ready to say it was better than TFA. I dont think there was anything more they could have done to improve that for me, maybe I have to see it again or compare that to other sideways stories they have planned like the Han Solo story. Maybe its the fact that I am still attached to the original characters.

I am too but even TFA managed to really excite me about it's new characters as they rose well above the problems I had with some of the writing. I feel like we're in a really good place now and I'm looking forward to stuff with the new leads as much as seeing Luke again in Episode 8.

The Darth Vader scene at the end of the movie was epic, the best I have seen since ROTJ, and what was I was hoping for from Episode 3 that was missing.

Totally! I said I wanted less Jedi-oriented storytelling but this was perfect. Just enough and not too much.

Vader's lightsaber scene in this > anything with Kylo Ren, who can blame him for coat-tail riding though? biggrin.gif

And the closing scene with Lea was so fitting, almost like they knew. I did like how they tied the end of the movie directly into ANH, unlike we have ever seen in any SW movie because of the timeline. The end battle scene was among my favourite of all time…

Yeah, I loved all the space combat. I didn't think it would end so close to where ANH began but you're right, it was awesome.

This was my movie of the year and there were a few respectable contenders vying for it so I'm very pleased all-in-all.

+Quote Post
markj138
post Dec 29 2016, 05:30 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 20,461

I never thought i would get a really good laugh out of Rogue One but when Chirrut Îmwe (the blind guy) gets that hood put on his head & he says " are you kidding me i`m blind " was hilarious!

This post has been edited by markj138: Dec 29 2016, 05:34 PM

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Jan 20 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #32

I've certainly had quite a few PM's over the past while. I gather you guys feel I've let you down and there isn't much I can do other than to apologize again. I have no idea what to say other than to say I'm trying to compromise and avoid antagonistic situations.

Too much presence, too little - it feels like a catch 22. I'm still posting a fair amount of information IMO.

+Quote Post
snowgeek93
post Jan 20 2017, 01:48 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 19,154

QUOTE(bigmt @ Jan 20 2017, 01:37 PM) *
I've certainly had quite a few PM's over the past while. I gather you guys feel I've let you down and there isn't much I can do other than to apologize again. I have no idea what to say other than to say I'm trying to compromise and avoid antagonistic situations.

Too much presence, too little - it feels like a catch 22. I'm still posting a fair amount of information IMO.

Do whatever you need to do buddy. Your presence in the winter thread is still very much welcome and appreciated.

--------------------
Buttonville Airport 2017/2018 Snowfall: 2.8cm

First Flakes: Nov 9th/10th
First Snowfall: Nov 9th/10th (2cm)
Biggest Snowfall: N/A
Days with Snow on Ground: 4
Days with Snow Cover: 0

November 2017: 2.8cm (12.1cm)

Average Snowfall (Buttonville Airport): 142.6cm

+Quote Post
JJ Snowlover
post Jan 20 2017, 01:53 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(bigmt @ Jan 20 2017, 01:37 PM) *

You are missing a good storm to track!!! but I get your reasons. I certainly don't think you ever provided too much info.

This storm does have the potential to heart break though; not a lot of cold air to work with and various model runs have promised near 30 cms from Toronto, to Ottawa then to Montreal tongue.gif

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Jan 20 2017, 02:02 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(snowgeek93 @ Jan 20 2017, 01:48 PM) *
Do whatever you need to do buddy. Your presence in the winter thread is still very much welcome and appreciated.

Thanks, I appreciate that smile.gif

It's hard for me to put into words but the storm threads just feel like such a weight on me, tying me down and putting me in a position where I feel like I'm trying to steer a half out-of-control ship in a sea of murk. I don't have all of the answers and 90% of the info I post is free-to-access anyway.

There's lots of other great dedicated posters and as long as someone has Euro access then you're good to go without me. If not, then I'll do what I can to fill that blank in because I don't want you guys to feel I've abandoned you.

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Jan 20 2017, 02:13 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(JJ Snowlover @ Jan 20 2017, 01:53 PM) *
You are missing a good storm to track!!! but I get your reasons. I certainly don't think you ever provided too much info.

This storm does have the potential to heart break though; not a lot of cold air to work with and various model runs have promised near 30 cms from Toronto, to Ottawa then to Montreal tongue.gif

Part of it is from my perspective I'm missing very little, other than the observations (which I can sort of scab together via surface analysis, radar, webcams, etc) and pictures like I said before. I see so much data through the course of the day that it would almost always be 'old news' to my eyes by the time it's typed up or attached. I'm not a big believer in middle-men, as it were.

I feel really badly for users in other regions which are likely to be dominated by ON talk because that seems like the biggest casualty from the messages I've gotten.

It's definitely an interesting system with a lot of nuances involved. Heads up, if not hopes biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
JJ Snowlover
post Jan 22 2017, 09:21 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(bigmt @ Jan 20 2017, 02:13 PM) *
Part of it is from my perspective I'm missing very little, other than the observations (which I can sort of scab together via surface analysis, radar, webcams, etc) and pictures like I said before. I see so much data through the course of the day that it would almost always be 'old news' to my eyes by the time it's typed up or attached. I'm not a big believer in middle-men, as it were.

I feel really badly for users in other regions which are likely to be dominated by ON talk because that seems like the biggest casualty from the messages I've gotten.

It's definitely an interesting system with a lot of nuances involved. Heads up, if not hopes biggrin.gif

I'll be honest, it was probably sheer laziness that I enjoyed going to the storm threads and seeing all the model updates from you. Saved me from going to each individual site. Maybe its better that people dont see every single update at regular intervals...it keeps people from falling off the edge every time they see a bad run or two...

But really, I have no idea how you had time to post all those images; I find it a tremendous pain in the butt to go to an image host every time I want to post one jpg. I dont have the fastest internet connection, so I'm spending quite a bit of time just posting 2 images! There was another forum we used to use that was much easier, Atmospheric Elements or something like that tongue.gif

You must feel free now, you can focus on other things...

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Jan 22 2017, 09:46 AM
Post #38

QUOTE(JJ Snowlover @ Jan 22 2017, 09:21 AM) *
I'll be honest, it was probably sheer laziness that I enjoyed going to the storm threads and seeing all the model updates from you. Saved me from going to each individual site. Maybe its better that people dont see every single update at regular intervals...it keeps people from falling off the edge every time they see a bad run or two...

I sometimes question if it doesn't work in reverse too. Picking and choosing only the 'good' model runs could be equally harmful.

Unfortunately we have no hard and fast way of knowing where the consensus will take us from 7-10 days out. Things can go back and forth many times over, as everyone knows.

But really, I have no idea how you had time to post all those images; I find it a tremendous pain in the butt to go to an image host every time I want to post one jpg. I dont have the fastest internet connection, so I'm spending quite a bit of time just posting 2 images! There was another forum we used to use that was much easier, Atmospheric Elements or something like that tongue.gif

Yes but the problem was that we had no dedicated image server the way Accuweather does here. I could never find a free image host which wasn't usually adblocked and that offered unlimited space. It was to the point that I considered building my own server for the imagery (which I could expand as needed) but I'm in a rural setting here too and I have bandwidth limits. I would never have been able to handle the traffic without going way over them. No images and no Euro text - hard to get much mileage out of that.

Accuweather provides unlimited attachment space which is awesome and appreciated.

You must feel free now, you can focus on other things...

That's true. My daily chores stay done but a lot of time is still spent tracking the weather. In many ways it takes more time to gather the information than post it.

+Quote Post
JJ Snowlover
post Jan 22 2017, 09:57 AM
Post #39

QUOTE(bigmt @ Jan 22 2017, 09:46 AM) *
I sometimes question if it doesn't work in reverse too. Picking and choosing only the 'good' model runs could be equally harmful.

Unfortunately we have no hard and fast way of knowing where the consensus will take us from 7-10 days out. Things can go back and forth many times over, as everyone knows.

Uhmm that is actually a good point, it can go that way too.… catch 22 for sure…

QUOTE(bigmt @ Jan 22 2017, 09:46 AM) *
Yes but the problem was that we had no dedicated image server the way Accuweather does here. I could never find a free image host which wasn't usually adblocked and that offered unlimited space. It was to the point that I considered building my own server for the imagery (which I could expand as needed) but I'm in a rural setting here too and I have bandwidth limits. I would never have been able to handle the traffic without going way over them. No images and no Euro text - hard to get much mileage out of that.

Well I can imagine, im sure we all didnt appreciate that you were spending money on that site not to mention your time. Didnt mean to open up that wound. I was only teasing anyway, I kid because I like wink.gif

This post has been edited by JJ Snowlover: Jan 22 2017, 09:58 AM

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Jan 22 2017, 10:10 AM
Post #40

QUOTE(JJ Snowlover @ Jan 22 2017, 09:57 AM) *
Uhmm that is actually a good point, it can go that way too.… catch 22 for sure…

Diversity is necessary to have a well-rounded view of things, both in the number of models but also in the number of cycles.

Still, 4 runs of the GFS & NAM a day is a little much for anyone to take laugh.gif

Well I can imagine, im sure we all didnt appreciate that you were spending money on that site not to mention your time. Didnt mean to open up that wound. I was only teasing anyway, I kid because I like wink.gif

I don't have the overhead of the site and keeping it ad-free but I still have multiple Euro subscriptions which are priced in USD. All of it was & is by my choice of course smile.gif

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 02:48 AM