Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Random posts for random topics, Non weather related
bigmt
post Jan 22 2017, 10:13 AM
Post #41

Group: Member
Member No.: 23,784

Now I'm trying to puzzle out how you guys got to 130 replies with an apparent lack of model updates huh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryan45
post Jan 22 2017, 10:29 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 21,757

I am 15 hours into Uncharted 4, A thief's End on PS4..Really awesome game and in depth! Came with the system. I never played the one I have for PS3 but may consider it once I beat this one!
I beat the new Battlefield last week. Really liked the game but was a bit disappointed with how short it was. Just when you were learning about the character, the chapter ends.

--------------------
Join the Observations/Livestream Facebook Group for updated LIVE Observations during storms!

+Quote Post
JJ Snowlover
post Jan 22 2017, 02:15 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 24,422

QUOTE(bigmt @ Jan 22 2017, 10:13 AM) *
Now I'm trying to puzzle out how you guys got to 130 replies with an apparent lack of model updates huh.gif

Lots of chatter about not trusting models and complaining about the current warmth laugh.gif but seriously there has been lots of discussion on this one because the Euro and NAM was keeping the GTA involved but the GFS and GEM have been going further and further east

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Jan 22 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(JJ Snowlover @ Jan 22 2017, 02:15 PM) *
Lots of chatter about not trusting models and complaining about the current warmth laugh.gif

Hmm, well I guess that isn't too surprising. That's a large part of the reason I feel it's unhealthy for me.

but seriously there has been lots of discussion on this one because the Euro and NAM was keeping the GTA involved but the GFS and GEM have been going further and further east

Well that's good to hear but I honestly have to say that there's more to this one than the GTA's involvement. I understand the futility in that statement but I feel I have to try.

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Jan 22 2017, 02:30 PM
Post #45

I don't want to say too much or come off as giving unwanted advice but I really hope everyone gives some thought to people outside of S ON and how they lack the same level of representation here.

My opinion is we need a grander vision and a bigger picture for many reasons, not that anyone asked.

+Quote Post
snowgeek93
post Jan 22 2017, 02:49 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 19,154

QUOTE(bigmt @ Jan 22 2017, 02:30 PM) *
I don't want to say too much or come off as giving unwanted advice but I really hope everyone gives some thought to people outside of S ON and how they lack the same level of representation here.

My opinion is we need a grander vision and a bigger picture for many reasons, not that anyone asked.

Good point.

I think the problem is we don't have enough users from other places in the country participating in the discussions. Or if they are here, their keeping quiet. I personally can't vouch for other places and their current weather anymore than I could just google it to see what's going on there or look at model runs for their locations.

It's not like there isn't already a fairly decent spread as it is. We have St Johns and Nova Scotia covered by Newfie and Shane, a few folks from Ottawa and plenty in S ON wink.gif

Even got a few from around Vancouver as well. I do wonder what the Yellowknife folks would bring to this forum biggrin.gif

--------------------
Thornhill, Ontario Snowfall (Buttonville Airport):

2016/2017: 142.6cm (Weak La Nina)
2015/2016: 96.4cm (Strong El Nino)
2014/2015: 118.7cm (Weak El Nino)
2013/2014: 184.8cm (Neutral)
2012/2013: 151.6cm (Neutral)
2011/2012: 99.9cm (Weak La Nina)
2010/2011: 168.1cm (Moderate La Nina)
2009/2010: 71.3cm (Moderate El Nino)
2008/2009: 253cm (Weak La Nina)
2007/2008: 251.6cm (Moderate La Nina)

Average Snowfall (Buttonville Airport): 142.6cm

+Quote Post
MrMusic
post Jan 22 2017, 03:01 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 28,218

QUOTE(snowgeek93 @ Jan 22 2017, 02:49 PM) *
Good point.

I think the problem is we don't have enough users from other places in the country participating in the discussions. Or if they are here, their keeping quiet. I personally can't vouch for other places and their current weather anymore than I could just google it to see what's going on there or look at model runs for their locations.

It's not like there isn't already a fairly decent spread as it is. We have St Johns and Nova Scotia covered by Newfie and Shane, a few folks from Ottawa and plenty in S ON wink.gif

Even got a few from around Vancouver as well. I do wonder what the Yellowknife folks would bring to this forum biggrin.gif

Yea, a great cross-section for sure. One of the things I enjoy about forums like this is that anyone is free to join and add a voice to a different region if they want too. It's great hearing the reports and seeing pics from everyone's locales.

--------------------
Winter 2016-2017

Dec 2016: 30cm
Jan 2017: 5cm
Feb 2017: 7cm
March 2017: 35cm!! Finally!

Days with snow on the ground: 25

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Jan 22 2017, 03:06 PM
Post #48

QUOTE(snowgeek93 @ Jan 22 2017, 02:49 PM) *
Good point.

I think the problem is we don't have enough users from other places in the country participating in the discussions.

I can't speak for them but I know if it were me and I were logging on for the first time I'd be seriously questioning what kind of inroads I could make.

It takes a bit of a leap of faith to start storm threads days to a week or more in advance and ON has more than enough users in the region to be assured someone will have it covered but for other regions it's not necessarily the same case.

It is Current Weather - Canada after all and I really don't think we have that in the forefront the way it often should be. S ON doesn't define the weather or climate of the country as a whole in many situations.

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Jan 22 2017, 03:12 PM
Post #49

I'm going to complete the circle and say I've been catching up on my Netflix queue watching Hannibal. I'm on season 2 now and after some rough patches through season 1 I'm more impressed after these first few episodes. I was concerned Will Graham's actor/character wouldn't be able to carry things to the extent necessary but that fear has been lessened over time.

The way this brings us back to where we started is Mads Mikkelsen plays Lecter and he also plays Jyn Erso's father in Rogue One biggrin.gif

Which has surpassed the $1B mark globally recently BTW - http://deadline.com/2017/01/rogue-one-star...ice-1201891739/

+Quote Post
shane o mac
post Jan 22 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 18,972

Everybody excited about the trump administration ? , i am a big supporter i put a profile pic with me wearing a make america great again sign and trump hat and first 10 min i got ridiculed personally attacked , so much negativety but ttells ya that you no longer have chance to voice your belief without being attacked .. lost 4 friends over my beliefs but than again if they dont want to be friends with me from a difference in a opinion then i guess they are not friends ..

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Jan 22 2017, 06:47 PM
Post #51

QUOTE(shane o mac @ Jan 22 2017, 05:57 PM) *
Everybody excited about the trump administration ?

Whether it's Trump or Brexit it seems like many people in other countries of the western world are embracing a populist message.

+Quote Post
Lake effect
post Jan 22 2017, 06:51 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 27,345

QUOTE(shane o mac @ Jan 22 2017, 05:57 PM) *
Everybody excited about the trump administration ? , i am a big supporter i put a profile pic with me wearing a make america great again sign and trump hat and first 10 min i got ridiculed personally attacked , so much negativety but ttells ya that you no longer have chance to voice your belief without being attacked .. lost 4 friends over my beliefs but than again if they dont want to be friends with me from a difference in a opinion then i guess they are not friends ..

After Brexit and the US election I have lost a fair few friends (but also discovered that the majority share my views). I am half German half English, my wife is half Kiwi, half Scottish (I also have a Spanish ex wife if that counts). I have always loved Farage. I look at Trump and his mulitnational menagerie of a family, and I listen to what he says, and I find myself agreeing with lots of it. Nation states with borders work. Trade deals and immigration policies with countries who are at least culturally on a similar page to us is good...otherwise our governments should be looking out for their electorate's interest, not that of international corporations or fanatic globalists.

So many of my German cousins are furious at what Merkel has done to their country...it is tantamount to treason. One of my closest friends had his daughter raped by two Muslim "asylum seekers" in Oxford. I have spent over six months of my life in Muslim countries. It is fair to say that Europe is committing cultural suicude.

Good job our PM is so hot on protecting our borders blink.gif

+Quote Post
travis3000
post Jan 22 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 12,822

I respect everyone's opinion in here, however Trump does concern me. I do agree with some of his policy ideas however it downright scares me when an influential elected figure (President of the US) flat out denies science and fact. Even more concerning is when that individual makes up their own facts to suit their interests. That's a dangerous game. What really concerns me is how many people actually believe these no name crazy news websites that are all hype/no fact, and condemn large publications like CTV, CBC, NBC, ABC, CNN, CBS, Reuters, Associated Press, etc. As if they have some conspired plot to lie to the public about everything. I have friends in journalism and its insulting to their profession. Im not saying the industry is perfect, but I really shake my head when people on Facebook quote these wacky no name websites as fact. It concerns me about our culture. Nobody really uses common sense anymore.

Trump in my opinion needs to grow up and stop being offended by everything. Take the high road and govern. He has the mandate, so start making decisions. But enough with the crying, accusing, Twittering every person he hates, making up false facts, and putting down others. It's not my cup of tea.

--------------------
Alliston,ON 2016/2017 Snowfall:

October: 1.5cm
November: 7cm
December: 70cm
January: 20cm
February: 27.5cm
March: 9cm
April: 13cm
TOTAL: 148cm
--
2015/2016 Total: 121cm
2014/2015 Total: 113.5cm
2013/2014 Total: 200cm
2012/2013: 140cm
2011/2012: 103cm
2010/2011: 213.5cm
2009/2010: 97cm
2008/2009: 232cm
2007/2008: 291cm
2006/2007: 84.8cm
LAST 11 YEAR AVERAGE: 158cm

Travis

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Jan 22 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #54

Well the press conference the other day was just about the least inspiring performance I could possibly imagine if we're to believe this administration will behave anything like grown adults.

+Quote Post
Lake effect
post Jan 22 2017, 07:17 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(travis3000 @ Jan 22 2017, 07:02 PM) *
I respect everyone's opinion in here, however Trump does concern me. I do agree with some of his policy ideas however it downright scares me when an influential elected figure (President of the US) flat out denies science and fact. Even more concerning is when that individual makes up their own facts to suit their interests. That's a dangerous game. What really concerns me is how many people actually believe these no name crazy news websites that are all hype/no fact, and condemn large publications like CTV, CBC, NBC, ABC, CNN, CBS, Reuters, Associated Press, etc. As if they have some conspired plot to lie to the public about everything. I have friends in journalism and its insulting to their profession. Im not saying the industry is perfect, but I really shake my head when people on Facebook quote these wacky no name websites as fact. It concerns me about our culture. Nobody really uses common sense anymore.

Trump in my opinion needs to grow up and stop being offended by everything. Take the high road and govern. He has the mandate, so start making decisions. But enough with the crying, accusing, Twittering every person he hates, making up false facts, and putting down others. It's not my cup of tea.

So I have distrusted the main stream media for many years. They have consistantly failed to characterize the threat that Islam poses to the West. They have looked the other way as governments and central banks have borrowed way too much.

Julian Assange put it extremely well in an interview that very few people actually saw in full precisely because the MSM are hostile to anything but their narrative. He says it is not so much that the media are actively conspiring to mislead people, but if they ask too many questions and are too critical of the government or the corporate/financial elite they find themselves frozen out.

Doesn't the fact that the mainstream media failed to predict Brexit or Trump suggest that they are no longer fit for purpose? Doesn't the fact that they all predicted a financial apocalypse for the UK after Brexit also suggest that they are incapable of filtering what they are fed by the elite? They have slavishly beed telling us what their editors allow them to tell us. They all lined up against Brexit and Trump rather than reporting the facts, they all repeatedly tell us that Islam is the religion of peace, when the facts would tell us otherwise.

I go to zero hedge...a so-called "Russian propaganda fake news site" but unlike the MSM, they do back their stories up with facts.

I don't like Trump, but I get why he was voted in...people are sick of being treated like idiots by the likes of CNN, the BBC and CBC.

+Quote Post
Lake effect
post Jan 22 2017, 07:22 PM
Post #56

QUOTE(bigmt @ Jan 22 2017, 07:05 PM) *
Well the press conference the other day was just about the least inspiring performance I could possibly imagine if we're to believe this administration will behave anything like grown adults.

Obama was the master at sounding good, but like many of his ilk that I once supported, they fail to follow through. Trump is a symptom, I doubt he is the solution, but if he does allow the responsibility that comes with his office to change him, he may just be good for the US and the world...if he doesn't get killed or impeached, or more likely, saddled with a financial meltdown not of his making.

I am leaving this discussion before it turns nasty...they usually do.

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Jan 22 2017, 07:41 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(Lake effect @ Jan 22 2017, 07:17 PM) *
Doesn't the fact that the mainstream media failed to predict Brexit or Trump suggest that they are no longer fit for purpose?

I don't like Trump, but I get why he was voted in...people are sick of being treated like idiots by the likes of CNN, the BBC and CBC.

I'm certainly not disagreeing that they got the narrative wrong but Trump received a lot of press coverage from them during the lead-up and during the campaign which I think helped him a great deal, mainstream or otherwise.

It's hard to take him seriously when he's thanking them one day for not reporting information which could damage him then admonishing them the next when they reported something that was clearly obvious from visual evidence. A free press doesn't only deliver news which he likes and he badly needs a thicker skin to do the job he's faced with now.

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Jan 22 2017, 07:47 PM
Post #58

QUOTE(Lake effect @ Jan 22 2017, 07:22 PM) *
Obama was the master at sounding good, but like many of his ilk that I once supported, they fail to follow through. Trump is a symptom, I doubt he is the solution, but if he does allow the responsibility that comes with his office to change him, he may just be good for the US and the world...if he doesn't get killed or impeached, or more likely, saddled with a financial meltdown not of his making.

It's true that talk is cheap and Obama had the talk of a polished politician. His 'red line' in Syria was tremendously damaging to the USA's international credibility for one thing, among many others.

In fairness he himself was saddled with a financial meltdown not of his making. The solution - rebuild the corrupt system at taxpayer expense. No wonder people are disenfranchised.

I am leaving this discussion before it turns nasty...they usually do.

I think it will be better-behaved than a lot of other venues but I understand. Politics is always a touchy subject, especially these days with major polarization going on.

+Quote Post
Lake effect
post Jan 22 2017, 07:49 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(bigmt @ Jan 22 2017, 07:41 PM) *
I'm certainly not disagreeing that they got the narrative wrong but Trump received a lot of press coverage from them during the lead-up and during the campaign which I think helped him a great deal, mainstream or otherwise.

It's hard to take him seriously when he's thanking them one day for not reporting information which could damage him then admonishing them the next when they reported something that was clearly obvious from visual evidence. A free press doesn't only deliver news which he likes and he badly needs a thicker skin to do the job he's faced with now.

I agree...he needs to ditch Twitter ASAP...he looks like an idiot. Anyway...as I said, I'm off, and not because of anything you said wink.gif

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Jan 22 2017, 08:01 PM
Post #60

QUOTE(Lake effect @ Jan 22 2017, 07:49 PM) *
I agree...he needs to ditch Twitter ASAP...he looks like an idiot. Anyway...as I said, I'm off, and not because of anything you said wink.gif

All good smile.gif

In the end I definitely agree that the message and sentiment from the supporters is perfectly valid and based on legitimate concerns that have been put on the backburner (if not outright ignored) for way too long. This groundswell was grossly underestimated before 2016 really put everyone on notice.

I just question if Trump in particular is the person to do it. We shall see, he has his chance to prove it now.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2017 - 06:50 AM