Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Winter 14/15 Banter/Complaint Thread, Put your grips here
blizzardOf96
post Dec 31 2014, 08:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 26,371

I know this idea has worked well on other forums and it has been approved by the mods. This thread will be dedicated to any non storm related discussion(short term OBS) including any complaints you feel you need to get out which is totally understandable. Storm threads should be kept to analysis, model images, forecasts, OBS etc. Enjoy!

This post has been edited by blizzardOf96: Dec 31 2014, 09:46 AM

--------------------
Check Out My Weather Blog:

http://torontowxcenter.blogspot.ca/

Follow me on Twitter: @Blizzardof96

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Dec 31 2014, 08:14 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 23,784

I'm gonna kick it off with a glass-half full attitude - While the rock-hard frozen dirt and remnants of snow are hard to take at least it makes travel easy enough smile.gif

+Quote Post
blizzardOf96
post Dec 31 2014, 08:15 AM
Post #3

A dusting from last night has brought winter back to town. I'll take anything after the snow drought since the big storm.

This post has been edited by blizzardOf96: Dec 31 2014, 08:19 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
winter48
post Dec 31 2014, 08:36 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,046

QUOTE(blizzardOf96 @ Dec 31 2014, 08:15 AM) *
A dusting from last night has brought winter back to town. I'll take anything after the snow drought since the big storm.

It was snowing lightly here last night, too. It really looked and felt like winter for the first time in a while......what a good feeling it was. Now here comes the rain? Please no!!

+Quote Post
Lake effect
post Dec 31 2014, 09:46 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 27,345

How's this for off-topic:

Having worked in the corporate world for many years I have participated in many psychological profiling seminars. Idenitifying personality traits is very powerful, as it allows people to predict future behaviour and adapt your own style to insure the development of future relationships. I prefer the (over) simplified colours method. Blue (analytical), Red (driver), yellow (social), green (empathetic) or variations thereof.

Having also worked in science all my life I have encountered endless amounts of Blues. They are Data driven, and one of their traits is the total obsession with order, and compartmentalizing everything (I am not going to say who is Blue here smile.gif ). Reds on the other hand are bulldozers..they see a task, focus on it, and drive until it is completed irrespective of how others feel. Yellows just want to get on with everyone else, and value social connections more than anything else. Greens tend to be compassionate and generally compliant...they hate disagreement.

Most people have a mixture of colors, with one slightly dominant...however some people have a very dominant primary color. It is an entertaining exercise guessing what others are smile.gif depending on their status with regard to your status you can either adapt, ignore or confront. If they are a boss, you adapt of course...in the case of a forum, that would be the mods...if they aren't, you can do what you wish. greens and yellows will generally adapt anyway because they either like to maintain social connections or they value harmony. Blues and reds will assess the value of adpating versus getting what they want...they do not always assess objectively, and place too high a value on being right. I am as red as the summer of 2012, so know I have to adapt or I will eventually upset everyone.

In summary, this thread was created out of a desire by personailities who wish to see order maintained so that the data can be focused on. It may well be best for the forum, but I suspect that it will not be used much as those who wish to express their feelings (reds and yellows mostly) will want to do so in the topic that is generating those feelings, and now will either be intimidated by the disaprobation of the more serious members (yellows), or not bother because they feel their contributions are not valued (reds and blues), or will have missed the posts referring to this and carry on doing what they were before hand.

Be interesting to see if I am wrong and whether this thread takes off or not. Either way, as always, like everyone who visits this forum, I want to emphasize how much I value the input of the "experts" and would not want to disrupt, or create the sense of diluting that input too much by posting "irrelevant" emotional responses.

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Dec 31 2014, 10:02 AM
Post #6

Well outside of this whole colour scheme thing I had no input into any of this and was fine going on the way things were, even with the roadbumps.

I'm also okay with changing things up if that's what everyone feels is the right thing to do but it seems obvious that everyone doesn't agree on what exactly that course-of-action might be.

Ultimately nothing we do here will change what Mother Nature has up her sleeve so in that sense we're stuck dealing with it as best we can.

+Quote Post
blizzardOf96
post Dec 31 2014, 10:03 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Lake effect @ Dec 31 2014, 09:46 AM) *
How's this for off-topic:

Having worked in the corporate world for many years I have participated in many psychological profiling seminars. Idenitifying personality traits is very powerful, as it allows people to predict future behaviour and adapt your own style to insure the development of future relationships. I prefer the (over) simplified colours method. Blue (analytical), Red (driver), yellow (social), green (empathetic) or variations thereof.

Having also worked in science all my life I have encountered endless amounts of Blues. They are Data driven, and one of their traits is the total obsession with order, and compartmentalizing everything (I am not going to say who is Blue here smile.gif ). Reds on the other hand are bulldozers..they see a task, focus on it, and drive until it is completed irrespective of how others feel. Yellows just want to get on with everyone else, and value social connections more than anything else. Greens tend to be compassionate and generally compliant...they hate disagreement.

Most people have a mixture of colors, with one slightly dominant...however some people have a very dominant primary color. It is an entertaining exercise guessing what others are smile.gif depending on their status with regard to your status you can either adapt, ignore or confront. If they are a boss, you adapt of course...in the case of a forum, that would be the mods...if they aren't, you can do what you wish. greens and yellows will generally adapt anyway because they either like to maintain social connections or they value harmony. Blues and reds will assess the value of adpating versus getting what they want...they do not always assess objectively, and place too high a value on being right. I am as red as the summer of 2012, so know I have to adapt or I will eventually upset everyone.

In summary, this thread was created out of a desire by personailities who wish to see order maintained so that the data can be focused on. It may well be best for the forum, but I suspect that it will not be used much as those who wish to express their feelings (reds and yellows mostly) will want to do so in the topic that is generating those feelings, and now will either be intimidated by the disaprobation of the more serious members (yellows), or not bother because they feel their contributions are not valued (reds and blues), or will have missed the posts referring to this and carry on doing what they were before hand.

Be interesting to see if I am wrong and whether this thread takes off or not. Either way, as always, like everyone who visits this forum, I want to emphasize how much I value the input of the "experts" and would not want to disrupt, or create the sense of diluting that input too much by posting "irrelevant" emotional responses.

A big reason I decided to try out this thread is for that very reason-- to see how it goes. It has been really successful on other forums and I think it will work well here as well. The mods also recommended it. This is in no way an attempt to keep the less "advanced" posters out of the discussion.

--------------------

+Quote Post
blizzardOf96
post Dec 31 2014, 10:15 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(bigmt @ Dec 31 2014, 10:02 AM) *
Well outside of this whole colour scheme thing I had no input into any of this and was fine going on the way things were, even with the roadbumps.

I'm also okay with changing things up if that's what everyone feels is the right thing to do but it seems obvious that everyone doesn't agree on what exactly that course-of-action might be.

Ultimately nothing we do here will change what Mother Nature has up her sleeve so in that sense we're stuck dealing with it as best we can.

Poll posted. Your right, it shouldn't be up to a few people. Let's see what the forum agrees on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
humidex
post Dec 31 2014, 12:06 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 29,370

Attn bigmt : Please advise,

It's my dog he's weather crazy. He runs around and barks, chases his tail and howls whenever it is windy. He is crazy. I feel he needs your weather therapy, but it won't help. You see, he's not allowed on the couch.

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Dec 31 2014, 12:13 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(humidex @ Dec 31 2014, 12:06 PM) *
Attn bigmt : Please advise,

It's my dog he's weather crazy.

He fits right in with the rest of us then.

He runs around and barks, chases his tail and howls whenever it is windy.

Okay maybe not quite like the rest of us, although shane might let out the odd howl when the winds start cranking laugh.gif

He is crazy. I feel he needs your weather therapy

I'm know as more of a 'weather weenie' whisperer than anything else sadly.

but it won't help.

We won't know if we don't try but I'll take your word for it.

You see, he's not allowed on the couch.

As long as he doesn't offer me zucchini I'll let him on my couch.

This post has been edited by bigmt: Dec 31 2014, 12:14 PM

+Quote Post
blizzardOf96
post Dec 31 2014, 12:14 PM
Post #11

Mood flakes have been flying for much of the morning. WSW wind over performing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JJ Snowlover
post Dec 31 2014, 12:19 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 24,422

I would just like to note one of the reasons I love this forum so much. Having gained knowledge from the fine folks on this thread I am able to read and understand model runs. Also having our group of knowledgeable users posting their interpretations and thoughts on what may happen, I able to prepare and warn family and friends of upcoming events that will effect them.

Our beloved weather agencies are currently not notifying the public that there is a potential heavy freezing rain event coming to my area on Januray 3 - 4th. EC says snow or rain and TWN says 15cm of snow with 1mm of rain. My father in-law lives on a one lane backwoods road with no maintained plowing access. This way I am able to warn him of a coming event long before it is predicted by the agencies...he can ready the generator and chain saw.

Just thought I would share wink.gif

+Quote Post
HoBOonFiRE
post Dec 31 2014, 12:29 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 24,813

Most of us, if not all have pretty much no snow. So were all in the same boat in that aspect but I'd give my left leg to live in the snowbelts again. Living in the snowbelts is a completely different world in the winter and I can imagine the frustration when not recieving any snow in these areas because they are so used to it. It is tough to see people in the snowbelts complain about losing snow when most of us has barely had any. I've lived in Hamilton and they have the right to complain because well..winter doesn't exist there lol.

+Quote Post
travis3000
post Dec 31 2014, 12:32 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12,822

Total Snowfall This Season In My Hometown of Alliston, ON (90KM NW of Toronto).

Nov 17th: 3cm
Nov 18th: 1.5cm
Nov 19th: 2cm
Nov 21st: 1cm
Nov 27th: 2.5cm

Dec 3rd: 1cm
Dec 11th: 45cm
Dec 30th: 1cm

Total so far: 57cm

Snow currently on ground as of Dec 31st: 1cm

This post has been edited by travis3000: Dec 31 2014, 12:34 PM

--------------------
Track winter storms with expert analysis on either one of my two blogs:

http://scglweather.blogspot.com/

Exclusive Southern Ontario Weather Blog

Travis

+Quote Post
blizzardOf96
post Dec 31 2014, 12:34 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(travis3000 @ Dec 31 2014, 12:32 PM) *
Total Snowfall This Season In My Hometown of Alliston, ON (90KM NW of Toronto).

Nov 17th: 3cm
Nov 18th: 1.5cm
Nov 19th: 2cm
Nov 21st: 1cm
Nov 27th: 2.5cm

Dec 3rd: 1cm
Dec 11th: 45cm
Dec 30th: 1cm

Total so far: 57cm

Didn't realize how well you cashed in on 12/11!! Besides that looks like an uneventful LE season thus far... some potential down the road however.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lake effect
post Dec 31 2014, 01:14 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 27,345

QUOTE(HoBOonFiRE @ Dec 31 2014, 12:29 PM) *
Most of us, if not all have pretty much no snow. So were all in the same boat in that aspect but I'd give my left leg to live in the snowbelts again. Living in the snowbelts is a completely different world in the winter and I can imagine the frustration when not recieving any snow in these areas because they are so used to it. It is tough to see people in the snowbelts complain about losing snow when most of us has barely had any. I've lived in Hamilton and they have the right to complain because well..winter doesn't exist there lol.

I think the opposite, people in Hamilton don't have the right to complain if there is no snow because they shouldn't expect any smile.gif bit like people in Hamilton New Zealand complaining that they don't get any snow. I chose to live in the snowbelt when I moved to Canada because I love snow. I chose North West of the downtown in Barrie because it is a cool area, and also gets more snow than the southend. This winter we had about 60cms of LES in November, and so far 25cms from the Dec storm and a further 15 cms of LES this week, so on track for our winter totals.

My big beef with this winter has been that the snow hasn't stuck around when we needed it to (Christmas, when I had friends over from the UK who were expecting a white Christmas). Also, we are just starting to get enough snow for outdoor activities, which is a big part of the local economy in winter in Barrie, and this weekend's storm looks like it might destroy this weeks LES build up. We need a good 20+cms of hard packed snow for a decent snowmobile or cross country season.

+Quote Post
Ryan45
post Dec 31 2014, 01:43 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 21,757

Can we order in a punching bag? Could be very helpful and quite therapeudic....... laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Ryan45: Dec 31 2014, 01:44 PM

--------------------
View my broadcast of live weather here
Note: Only available during severe weather

www.twitter.com/wxryan45

+Quote Post
winter48
post Dec 31 2014, 01:43 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Lake effect @ Dec 31 2014, 01:14 PM) *
I think the opposite, people in Hamilton don't have the right to complain if there is no snow because they shouldn't expect any smile.gif bit like people in Hamilton New Zealand complaining that they don't get any snow. I chose to live in the snowbelt when I moved to Canada because I love snow. I chose North West of the downtown in Barrie because it is a cool area, and also gets more snow than the southend. This winter we had about 60cms of LES in November, and so far 25cms from the Dec storm and a further 15 cms of LES this week, so on track for our winter totals.

My big beef with this winter has been that the snow hasn't stuck around when we needed it to (Christmas, when I had friends over from the UK who were expecting a white Christmas). Also, we are just starting to get enough snow for outdoor activities, which is a big part of the local economy in winter in Barrie, and this weekend's storm looks like it might destroy this weeks LES build up. We need a good 20+cms of hard packed snow for a decent snowmobile or cross country season.

I have no right to be disappointed? Oh Lake effect, I thought you had my back!! tongue.gif I'm in the Hamilton/Burlington region and I had your sympathy in the other forum! You don't think we should expect snow? I mean, I don't expect anything like the snowbelts get and/or eastern Canada gets but c'mon, I should be able to expect more than the 8-10cm we have had so far, no?? unsure.gif

This post has been edited by winter48: Dec 31 2014, 01:44 PM

+Quote Post
winter48
post Dec 31 2014, 01:44 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Ryan45 @ Dec 31 2014, 01:43 PM) *
Can we order in a punching bag? Could be very helpful and quite therapeudic....... laugh.gif

I need one too, please! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
winter48
post Dec 31 2014, 02:25 PM
Post #20

And the number one sign winter is a real dud so far......drum roll please......you have a "complaints " thread added to your local forum! Has this EVER happened before? I fear this may put a jinx on what's left of this winter! wink.gif

This post has been edited by winter48: Dec 31 2014, 02:26 PM

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th January 2015 - 10:22 PM