Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> General question about the NAM
CCinCT
post Jan 22 2016, 05:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 24,676

The following is a paraphrase of a tweet from Ryan Hanrahan, a met in CT:

"Using a non-hydrostatic mesoscale (he's referring to the NAM here) model for complex synoptic stuff is asking for trouble"

Can someone explain a couple things about this comment:

1) What does he mean by "non-hydrostatic"? It sounds like he's saying the NAM doesn't account for moisture content on some level, but that would be silly. So obviously I am not correctly understanding what he means by this. If anyone can set me straight I'd really appreciate it.

2) From my uneducated perspective, it would seem to me that a hi-res model like the NAM would do a BETTER job and deciphering synoptic stuff, at least in the short run. This would be tempered by the notion that the more minutia you have in your model, the further off course you can go the further out you go. But in the short term, I would think that having a more defined modeling environment would lead to more accuracy. But again, I am obviously wrong here because so many people discount the NAM entirely, or at least more than 24/36 hours out. So could someone explain why using a model like the NAM would be "asking for trouble" as he put it?

And just to keep clear, I'm not looking to counter his points. He's a smart guy and knows his stuff. So when he says things like this, I find it's in my best interest to really try to understand him to the best of my abilities. And before you ask me to ask him directly, I don't do twitter smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 03:21 AM