Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com
We have updated our Privacy Policy and our Cookie Policy effective May 25, 2018. Please review them.
X

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> META: Should we have generic cold and hot weather threads?
knorthern_knight
post Jan 2 2018, 12:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 24,490

It's relatively easy to define synoptic storm systems. They have distinct low pressure centres and precipitation areas and they move through a limited area in a few days. The current cold outbreak is different. It's countrywide, and long-lasting depending on where you are in Canada. There'll be a break for southern Ontario in a few days. But Manitoba, central+northern Ontario, and Quebec will still see the same outbreak continuing. Is it considered 2 cold snaps (southern Ontario) or 1 cold snap (most of the rest of Canada)?

I propose more generic threads to address this problem of defining cold (and hot) outbreaks; e.g.

"Cold Wx Winter 2017-2018" and "Heat Waves 2018"

I remember a few hot early Junes, not to mention late March, April, May, and even early October. That's why I'm not sticking the word "Summer" in the proposed title. Comments?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lake effect
post Jan 2 2018, 06:44 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 27,345

QUOTE(knorthern_knight @ Jan 2 2018, 12:12 AM) *
It's relatively easy to define synoptic storm systems. They have distinct low pressure centres and precipitation areas and they move through a limited area in a few days. The current cold outbreak is different. It's countrywide, and long-lasting depending on where you are in Canada. There'll be a break for southern Ontario in a few days. But Manitoba, central+northern Ontario, and Quebec will still see the same outbreak continuing. Is it considered 2 cold snaps (southern Ontario) or 1 cold snap (most of the rest of Canada)?

I propose more generic threads to address this problem of defining cold (and hot) outbreaks; e.g.

I remember a few hot early Junes, not to mention late March, April, May, and even early October. That's why I'm not sticking the word "Summer" in the proposed title. Comments?

I see what you are saying, but there is a chance that unique events will get lost in the noise. It depends whether we want to be able to go back later and look at threads about specific hot or cold events or not. Personally I don't go back, but some might.

+Quote Post
GreatWhiteTornad...
post Jan 2 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 28,279

QUOTE(knorthern_knight @ Jan 2 2018, 12:12 AM) *

You make a great point I think cold and heat can be seasonal in my opinion.
Storm threats perhaps could be individual which would make sense. That being said, it would be fair if the treat fails us or becomes a miss on the models it shouldn't be a big deal, sharing info is great sometimes we win, many we lose smile.gif

This post has been edited by GreatWhiteTornado: Jan 2 2018, 09:57 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2018 - 07:44 PM