Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Perseid Meteor showers 2016, Est. Peak: August 11-12; up to 200/hr!
MaineJay
post Aug 4 2013, 06:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 28,288

One of the more reliable meteor showers is just about a week away. The Perseids are forecast to peak between August the 11-13, and the moon appears to be cooperating and gracing us with dark skies. Let's hope for cool, dry, and cloudless weather.

Comet ISON May become visible as well around this time apparently. I really want a telescope.
http://www.space.com/22216-august-perseid-...comet-ison.html

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Aug 2 2016, 05:04 AM

--------------------
The Solar Eclipse is coming!! Thread

"z = z2 + c" - Benoit Mandelbrot

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vomit
post Aug 8 2013, 06:12 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 22,287

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Aug 4 2013, 07:12 PM) *
One of the more reliable meteor showers is just about a week away. The Perseids are forecast to peak between August the 11-13, and the moon appears to be cooperating and gracing us with dark skies. Let's hope for cool, dry, and cloudless weather.

Comet ISON May become visible as well around this time apparently. I really want a telescope.
http://www.space.com/22216-august-perseid-...comet-ison.html

Hopefully will be good. Saw a stray Perseid last night (with a laundry list of other things covered in another thread).

I have to work midnights thru Monday, but plan on being at camp under very dark skies Tuesday night with my boys and a couple of there friends. Should be a classic. Saw quite a few last year....hoping for an even better viewing this year. Clear skies to you all.

--------------------
"All our lives we sweat and save building for a shallow grave." J.D. Morrison

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 13 2013, 04:38 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(vomit @ Aug 8 2013, 07:12 PM) *
Hopefully will be good. Saw a stray Perseid last night (with a laundry list of other things covered in another thread).

I have to work midnights thru Monday, but plan on being at camp under very dark skies Tuesday night with my boys and a couple of there friends. Should be a classic. Saw quite a few last year....hoping for an even better viewing this year. Clear skies to you all.

Well, the skies did not cooperate last night IMBY, tonight looks even more socked in with clouds. I did see a singular Perseid Sunday night that was amazing, left a vapour trail that lingered for a moment directly overhead.

Good luck tonight Vomit! Hoping for clear skies for you guys, have fun!

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Aug 13 2013, 04:39 AM

--------------------

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
vomit
post Aug 15 2013, 05:02 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Aug 13 2013, 05:38 AM) *
Well, the skies did not cooperate last night IMBY, tonight looks even more socked in with clouds. I did see a singular Perseid Sunday night that was amazing, left a vapour trail that lingered for a moment directly overhead.

Good luck tonight Vomit! Hoping for clear skies for you guys, have fun!

Bummer.

My boys & I got up to camp and although the skies were clear it was so cold we only lasted about an hour. We managed maybe a half dozen persieds. Had a great time, even though its been pretty frigid around here.

Clear skies to all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 15 2013, 05:44 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(vomit @ Aug 15 2013, 06:02 AM) *
Bummer.

My boys & I got up to camp and although the skies were clear it was so cold we only lasted about an hour. We managed maybe a half dozen persieds. Had a great time, even though its been pretty frigid around here.

Clear skies to all.

You saw more than I did biggrin.gif , to bad about the cold, it is a bit early this year. Hasn't been cold here, but definitely cooler than it should be.

So,I might call this guy tonight, seems like a good deal, it doesn't have the auto star controller, but I'm pretty sure I would only need the actual auto star hand controller.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/pho/3998955139.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
vomit
post Aug 15 2013, 02:00 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Aug 15 2013, 06:44 AM) *
You saw more than I did biggrin.gif , to bad about the cold, it is a bit early this year. Hasn't been cold here, but definitely cooler than it should be.

So,I might call this guy tonight, seems like a good deal, it doesn't have the auto star controller, but I'm pretty sure I would only need the actual auto star hand controller.
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/pho/3998955139.html

Well worth a look. The Autostar (I believe) is $149. If you go & look at it, be sure to power it up and do the alignment procedure.....even if it's during the day. Be sure to look at the optical surfaces. Listen to the way it sounds......I think it could be a great bargain. Keep me posted.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 15 2013, 04:12 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(vomit @ Aug 15 2013, 03:00 PM) *
Well worth a look. The Autostar (I believe) is $149. If you go & look at it, be sure to power it up and do the alignment procedure.....even if it's during the day. Be sure to look at the optical surfaces. Listen to the way it sounds......I think it could be a great bargain. Keep me posted.

Just talked to him, it's still in the original box, never assembled

--------------------

+Quote Post
vomit
post Aug 28 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Aug 15 2013, 05:12 PM) *
Just talked to him, it's still in the original box, never assembled

Did you buy? Let us know. A pic too if you purchased. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 30 2013, 05:53 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(vomit @ Aug 28 2013, 01:43 PM) *
Did you buy? Let us know. A pic too if you purchased. tongue.gif

Hehehe, yeah I did it. I have been wicked busy, and the weather has not cooperate at all. I did bring set it up at my jobsite which has panoramic views of the white mountains, and we could see a guy in a fire tower like 15 miles away.

So it had never been out of the box. Having never checked collimation before in my life, I did some research. I used a point of light off a car bumper, we did the deal in a Kmart parking lot, to focus and subsequently, un-focus into those concentric circles. It seemed like a sharp, crisp view. It does not have the uhtc, just multi coatings, gives the lens a purple hue.

Motors were quiet and and slewed in all speeds and directions like I expected. Got it for 500. Only issue is a bad casting on the tripod head. It's two concentric rings, and the inner 1 1/2" is raised up about 1/32" higher than the outer 4" ring. Makes it prone to vibration. I am in the process of figuring a 1 /16 nylon shim to stabilize it.

The box was printed in 1999. Can find a "made in xyz" anywhere.

Thanks for the help! I'll get some pics up for you this weekend.

Jay

--------------------

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Sep 8 2013, 03:04 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,204

NASA's video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omkXIVtcMqw...player_embedded

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
vomit
post Sep 12 2013, 05:22 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Aug 30 2013, 06:53 AM) *
Hehehe, yeah I did it. I have been wicked busy, and the weather has not cooperate at all. I did bring set it up at my jobsite which has panoramic views of the white mountains, and we could see a guy in a fire tower like 15 miles away.

So it had never been out of the box. Having never checked collimation before in my life, I did some research. I used a point of light off a car bumper, we did the deal in a Kmart parking lot, to focus and subsequently, un-focus into those concentric circles. It seemed like a sharp, crisp view. It does not have the uhtc, just multi coatings, gives the lens a purple hue.

Motors were quiet and and slewed in all speeds and directions like I expected. Got it for 500. Only issue is a bad casting on the tripod head. It's two concentric rings, and the inner 1 1/2" is raised up about 1/32" higher than the outer 4" ring. Makes it prone to vibration. I am in the process of figuring a 1 /16 nylon shim to stabilize it.

The box was printed in 1999. Can find a "made in xyz" anywhere.

Thanks for the help! I'll get some pics up for you this weekend.

Jay

Congrats. Let me know if you get an Autostar; this is a really good scope. Had years of use with mine, and it worked like a champ. If you ever feel you need service I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Clay Sherrod's "Supercharge" service. I had that done to my ETX-125 and it was worth every penny.

Here is his site:

http://www.arksky.org/supercharge.htm

Clear skies!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Sep 25 2013, 05:57 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(vomit @ Sep 12 2013, 06:22 AM) *
Congrats. Let me know if you get an Autostar; this is a really good scope. Had years of use with mine, and it worked like a champ. If you ever feel you need service I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Clay Sherrod's "Supercharge" service. I had that done to my ETX-125 and it was worth every penny.

Here is his site:

http://www.arksky.org/supercharge.htm

Clear skies!

Thanks again Vomit! Great link, book marked! That supercharging service looks real nice. My plan is to get a set of eyepieces and really try to learn how to locate stars. Save up some cash and buy the autostar and supercharge this baby next summer, hopefully. Business has been better this year, but I also have a wedding to pay for. Just have to skin off the wedding fund, hehe.

Otherwise, this weather has teased me with lower dew points, but clouds have been persistent, and dedicating time difficult.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 9 2015, 10:29 AM
Post #13

It's that time of year. The moon phase looks favorable, peak should be ~100/hr. Unfortunately, is progged to be quite cloudy in my neighborhood. dry.gif hopefully someone seems something. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Aug 11 2015, 04:23 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 21,746

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Aug 9 2015, 11:29 AM) *
It's that time of year. The moon phase looks favorable, peak should be ~100/hr. Unfortunately, is progged to be quite cloudy in my neighborhood. dry.gif hopefully someone seems something. smile.gif

CF moved through at about Noon - hoping this clearing holds up for tonight/tomorrow a.m. As you know, I awake at 3 - might be able to shake the sandman out of the optics in time to see 'em.

Next year, I want to get back to the PA Darksky project at Cherry Springs SP http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/fin...skies/index.htm. Mrs UTS and I saw hundreds and hundreds last time we made it up - and the Milky Way is plainly visible, as if you could actually touch it. Growing up in the Pocono's of PA as a boy, the MW was in most clear winters skies. Now, darn light pollution has ruined even that locale except for really remote pockets

+Quote Post
stxprowl
post Aug 11 2015, 08:38 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 20,184

Live stream starts at 10pm. Just got a heavy shower IMBY. Hoping it clears up by midnight to check the skies in SJ.
http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-tv-...-shower-program

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Aug 12 2015, 03:27 AM
Post #16

Saw 4 in just under 15 minutes so far this morning, the skies are cooperating here in CTP land. biggrin.gif (happy dance)

+Quote Post
vomit
post Aug 12 2015, 06:18 AM
Post #17

I saw one dim Perseid about 515AM this morning. Will try again tomorrow......

--------------------

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 12 2015, 07:37 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 16,666

Read that the best viewing begins just after midnight. Was not too good a show at that time. My daughter saw 2 a bit earlier. I only saw one quick one in 15 minutes. Granted, I was dealing with a half sky at best, as a cloud cover was moving in that eventually was to take over. Sounds like early bird UT had better viewing. Also read that anywhere in the sky is good view. Hoping for better show tonight.

+Quote Post
stxprowl
post Aug 12 2015, 10:15 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 20,184

The clouds took forever to move out of SJ. I got tired of waiting and went to bed at 1AM. Fingers crossed tonight is better...

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Aug 12 2015, 11:41 AM
Post #20

Y'all should take a page from my playbook. Early to bed, early to rise - leads to better viewing of the heavenly skies smile.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2017 - 10:25 AM