Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Perseid Meteor showers 2016, Est. Peak: August 11-12; up to 200/hr!
MaineJay
post Aug 12 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #21

Group: Member
Member No.: 28,288

Whoa, this is the most "active" as I've seen an astronomy thread.

I had dense fog all night and morning, showers and thunder are popping in the area. It was a humid, low 80s day up here, to humid, the kind of humid that can ruin stargazing. I'm hoping to get very little sleep tonight, smile.gif will certainly post any pictures that I'm able to get.

Good luck!!

--------------------
Maybe the hokey pokey really is what it's all about.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 12 2015, 07:37 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 16,666

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Aug 12 2015, 12:41 PM) *
Y'all should take a page from my playbook. Early to bed, early to rise - leads to better viewing of the heavenly skies smile.gif

Well that's just not gonna happen. I may take a page out of me own playbook and bull right through till about 3 am. Was not much action around 12:30 last night. I do luv your prose though biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 12 2015, 07:48 PM
Post #23

And on a related note, I mentioned to MJ last night that I was worried about forecasts for tonight being inaccurate as far as cloud cover. Seems as if that was warranted, as cloud cover is ominous. Not thick, as attached is standard satellite radar, but that is the best one for viewing purposes. Enhanced shows thin cover, not thick. Local reports are saying should average about 100 per hour later tonight, and best viewing toward NE sky. So I am about to wire myself into the IV chair for a straight caffeine shot, but am debating as this cloud cover may ruin the show. Dilemma. Caffeine rocks me, and if I do may be up for 2 days straight with nothing to show for it ohmy.gif

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/pennsylvania/satellite-ir

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 12 2015, 08:52 PM
Post #24

Someone turned the blowers on high speed. Thanks Accu, there is hope:
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/pennsylva...llite-ir?play=1

+Quote Post
stxprowl
post Aug 13 2015, 01:38 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 20,184

Seen about 20 in the last hour. Most were short. Some really bright some dim. Highlight was one that looked blue and left a trail that just slowly faded away after 2-3 seconds! Came in bunches. Lots of sets of 2. They were all over the sky. Not one particular area at all. Of course the clouds the were not supposed to be here tonight are really filling in now. Ughhh sad.gif

+Quote Post
stxprowl
post Aug 13 2015, 02:31 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 20,184

Not much action the last 45 min but just saw 5 in the spand of 2 minutes with one of them being the best ive ever seen at 3:24am! It was multi colored with a long tail, Super bright and took what felt like 6-8 seconds to fade! Still partly cloudy. Smh

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Aug 13 2015, 03:00 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 21,746

Wow - Stx, that's not too shabby.

RT - those clouds collapsed once the sun angle left last night - plenty of dark sky out here right now. Let the counting begin.

Let's see how many we get this next hour. So far, I've seen 10 and I've only been out here about 15 minutes. Reclining lawn chair in position in T minus 5-4-3-2-1, full recline mode initiated. See you in about an hour or so. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Aug 13 2015, 03:49 AM
Post #28

20 spotted in the past 48 minutes - about the same as Stx observed. Only 5 that were above average. Hoping against hope for the elusive "fireball".

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Aug 13 2015, 04:25 AM
Post #29

Final tally over the past 80 minutes = 30 meteors. Oddly, the last half dozen (from 4:55 to about 5 minutes ago) were the brightest. And they did not emanate from the Pleiades - they were along the northern horizon (east to west). Most that did emanate from Pleiades were the short and not so bright kind of meteor.

Good morning MJ smile.gif

This post has been edited by Undertakerson: Aug 13 2015, 04:26 AM

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 13 2015, 04:30 AM
Post #30

Hard to say how many I saw. I was out for about 3 hours, and saw 3 notable Perseids streaking from the NE->SW one that was spectacular. In fact, I saw it as I was setting up, so naturally I was excited. I use the method where you hold you arm out and use the width of your hand to gauge distance, I've heard that one hand width =~5 of sky. The biggest I saw was 8 "handwidths" I calculate that as 40 across the sky! And it did feel like it cruised about 1/4 of the sky. I did see a what looked like a fireball falling in the northeast sky somewhere between midnight and 1am, I lost track of time out there. At one point I thought the ISS was moving from the northwest sky to the east, it was brighter than any star, but halfway through the sky, it just faded. I may have caught a picture if that, I haven't even looked at a single image I snapped. Doing that soon. Will post pics when I can.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 13 2015, 04:35 AM
Post #31

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Aug 13 2015, 05:25 AM) *
Final tally over the past 80 minutes = 30 meteors. Oddly, the last half dozen (from 4:55 to about 5 minutes ago) were the brightest. And they did not emanate from the Pleiades - they were along the northern horizon (east to west). Most that did emanate from Pleiades were the short and not so bright kind of meteor.

Good morning MJ smile.gif

Morning UTS. smile.gif

, I noticed many east-west moving along the northern horizon also, including a very bright bluish one. The skies were perfect, especially after the lightning from surrounding storms finally died off. Wasn't initially worried about that form of light pollution, but the milky way was quite visible up here.

In total I'm sure I saw at least 100 different steaks, most minor, but certainly not disappointed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Aug 13 2015, 04:40 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Aug 13 2015, 05:30 AM) *
Hard to say how many I saw. I was out for about 3 hours, and saw 3 notable Perseids streaking from the NE->SW one that was spectacular. In fact, I saw it as I was setting up, so naturally I was excited. I use the method where you hold you arm out and use the width of your hand to gauge distance, I've heard that one hand width =~5 of sky. The biggest I saw was 8 "handwidths" I calculate that as 40 across the sky! And it did feel like it cruised about 1/4 of the sky. I did see a what looked like a fireball falling in the northeast sky somewhere between midnight and 1am, I lost track of time out there. At one point I thought the ISS was moving from the northwest sky to the east, it was brighter than any star, but halfway through the sky, it just faded. I may have caught a picture if that, I haven't even looked at a single image I snapped. Doing that soon. Will post pics when I can.

Probably not the ISS MJ - I don't think it passed after 11:39 p.m. last night. Then again, I have no idea when you went out - and I can't find any other sat's in the sky during that span.

http://heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?...lt=0&tz=UCT

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 13 2015, 04:58 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Aug 13 2015, 05:40 AM) *
Probably not the ISS MJ - I don't think it passed after 11:39 p.m. last night. Then again, I have no idea when you went out - and I can't find any other sat's in the sky during that span.
http://heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?...lt=0&tz=UCT

It wasn't a satellite (unless it was burning up) it went from the brightest thing in the sky, then fade to black, poof it was gone. Still uploading pics to the pc, haven't spied an image yet, 326 images, 30 second exposure each one, I'm giddy here waiting for the images to load....

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Aug 13 2015, 04:59 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 13 2015, 05:45 AM
Post #34

So I had to crop or resize to get these on here. I've saving my best for when I get some time for a little post processing time. tongue.gif

A few rough shots

Nikon 3100D
Tokina 12-24mm f/4 (set to 12)
30 sec exposure
iso hi2 (I believe it's about 12,800)
Manfrotto tripod

This one was moving left to right, and what I thought might be the ISS when it first came into view. Took almost all the 30 seconds to move that far.

Attached Image

Attached are some crops with double meteorites

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Aug 13 2015, 05:49 AM
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 13 2015, 09:31 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Aug 13 2015, 04:00 AM) *
Wow - Stx, that's not too shabby.

RT - those clouds collapsed once the sun angle left last night - plenty of dark sky out here right now. Let the counting begin.

Let's see how many we get this next hour. So far, I've seen 10 and I've only been out here about 15 minutes. Reclining lawn chair in position in T minus 5-4-3-2-1, full recline mode initiated. See you in about an hour or so. smile.gif

Sadly UT, that did not happen. Saw very few when went out at 11, and then at 11:45. That was expected as real show was supposed to start after 12, and start rocking about 2 am. Problem was when went outside a little after midnight, the low cloud cover had completely enveloped all. Could see that coming earlier. It got so bad here, that we actually had a light rain and heavy drizzle. I knew that would not be real short term, so I gave up. You could see these stubborn clouds on the satellite in the eastern half of the state. Your locale was fine. Glad for all that saw great viewing, and thanks for the great pics MJ et al!

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Aug 13 2015, 11:40 AM
Post #36

sad.gif sorry to hear that Rick - maybe tonight? I guess you may be out of patience given that you've had back to back poor conditions.

MJ - agree with Rick, thanks for sharing those smile.gif

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 13 2015, 04:26 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Aug 13 2015, 12:40 PM) *
sad.gif sorry to hear that Rick - maybe tonight? I guess you may be out of patience given that you've had back to back poor conditions.

MJ - agree with Rick, thanks for sharing those smile.gif

Was going to ask, as tonight looks like the clear one, although have early tee time tomorrow. Did I read or see you or MJ say that tonight might still have lots of space debris flying around, plus think it is a new moon so very dark skies????

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 13 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(rtcemc @ Aug 13 2015, 05:26 PM) *
Was going to ask, as tonight looks like the clear one, although have early tee time tomorrow. Did I read or see you or MJ say that tonight might still have lots of space debris flying around, plus think it is a new moon so very dark skies????

It's a pleasure to share the pictures, it's why I take them. It's funny, I try to encourage folks to go out and check this stuff out by taking pictures, but the "law of unintended consequences" set in. Since I always share my pictures, everyone just says, " I don't need to go out there, Jay will have pictures." So, instead of "inspiring" people to watch these celestial spectacles, I've only heaped pressure upon myself to get the shot. laugh.gif I've decided I need to start borrowing a second camera...

That said, can't be sure there will be any left over Perseids tonight, but I'm planning on going out there again. I'm certainly no expert, but it appeared to me that there were many "non-Perseid" related streaks last night. I think of it as a numbers game, there will be some, certainly less than last night, and further between, I'm banking on there being some opportunities. Plus, being surrounded by wilderness, there's lots of "interesting noises" one hears deep into the night. smile.gif

Little cloudy now, but last night was worse.

Here's one of my best from last night. Note the milky way going from lower left to upper right. At this point, I think I'm constrained by my equipment, but upgrading would be far to costly. Large aperture lenses and high iso cameras get pricey quick. Any way, I'll post more pictures as I find time to get the best out of them.

Hope folks Enjoy.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Aug 13 2015, 06:29 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Aug 13 2015, 06:45 PM) *
It's a pleasure to share the pictures, it's why I take them. It's funny, I try to encourage folks to go out and check this stuff out by taking pictures, but the "law of unintended consequences" set in. Since I always share my pictures, everyone just says, " I don't need to go out there, Jay will have pictures." So, instead of "inspiring" people to watch these celestial spectacles, I've only heaped pressure upon myself to get the shot. laugh.gif I've decided I need to start borrowing a second camera...

That said, can't be sure there will be any left over Perseids tonight, but I'm planning on going out there again. I'm certainly no expert, but it appeared to me that there were many "non-Perseid" related streaks last night. I think of it as a numbers game, there will be some, certainly less than last night, and further between, I'm banking on there being some opportunities. Plus, being surrounded by wilderness, there's lots of "interesting noises" one hears deep into the night. smile.gif

Little cloudy now, but last night was worse.

Here's one of my best from last night. Note the milky way going from lower left to upper right. At this point, I think I'm constrained by my equipment, but upgrading would be far to costly. Large aperture lenses and high iso cameras get pricey quick. Any way, I'll post more pictures as I find time to get the best out of them.

Hope folks Enjoy.

Attached Image

Great stuff MJ - truly appreciate your sharing.
It's been a while since I've seen the MW in the sky (far too long, really)

I would think there will be some "debris" when I shake the sand out of the eyes ~3:15 (or s0). Tiangong 1 makes an appearance near 4:30 - although at only 1.8mag, it should equal its appearance from two mornings past http://heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=37820

RT - you sure you don't need the rest? Meteor watching an early T times don't mix for guys our age. tongue.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 13 2015, 07:59 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Aug 13 2015, 07:29 PM) *
Great stuff MJ - truly appreciate your sharing.
It's been a while since I've seen the MW in the sky (far too long, really)

I would think there will be some "debris" when I shake the sand out of the eyes ~3:15 (or s0). Tiangong 1 makes an appearance near 4:30 - although at only 1.8mag, it should equal its appearance from two mornings past http://heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=37820

RT - you sure you don't need the rest? Meteor watching an early T times don't mix for guys our age. tongue.gif laugh.gif

tongue.gif Oh trust me bud, I need the rest. The heck with them meteors. As long as you and MJ are into "where is this quote/line from", I give you this, that I am saying to the alleged meteor showers "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Hint: Since I am not deep, don't think of the original quoter. Think of who this shallow human being would get it from rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 06:56 AM