Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Perseid Meteor showers 2016, Est. Peak: August 11-12; up to 200/hr!
MaineJay
post Aug 14 2015, 04:54 AM
Post #41

Group: Member
Member No.: 28,288

The showers may not have been as nice as the other night, but I was still very pleased with what I saw. However, my night was a cautionary tale about checking your settings... Yup, took 2 hours worth of pictures on the wrong iso setting. Didn't notice till I checked out the pictures on the computer, couldn't pick up a single streak. As punishment, I headed back out for another hour, didn't get a whole lot, but still not bad.

--------------------
The Solar Eclipse is coming!! Thread

"z = z2 + c" - Benoit Mandelbrot

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 14 2015, 07:35 PM
Post #42

Did I overdo it on the brightness?

From last night

Attached Image

--------------------

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 14 2015, 08:44 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 16,666

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Aug 14 2015, 08:35 PM) *
Did I overdo it on the brightness?

From last night

Attached Image

Nope that's fine. Do we have ANY shot tonight??

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 15 2015, 05:11 AM
Post #44

QUOTE(rtcemc @ Aug 14 2015, 09:44 PM) *
Nope that's fine. Do we have ANY shot tonight??

Apologies I didn't see this last night Rick, I passed out literally seconds after that post, running on fumes, got a hard deadline looming, so getting a little work in this morning.

Technically, I believe that you could see a "Perseid" for a few more days. I think that the earth can be under the effect of the debris from Swift-Tuttle for days, if not weeks surrounding the peak. I always associate the greenish ones with the Perseids.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 15 2015, 12:18 PM
Post #45

Did a little "extra"to get this, it's actually 30 or so images overlayed, so like 15 minutes of elapsed time Who can find the north star. tongue.gif
Attached Image

I'm contemplating doing this to some other pictures.

Which one is better?
Attached Image

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Aug 15 2015, 12:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 15 2015, 03:52 PM
Post #46

Hopefully this is the last one I'll bore everyone with, this is about 40 minutes worth of shots ~75 images. The keen observer will notice I must have space and missed a single frame. dry.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 15 2015, 08:44 PM
Post #47

MJ, never have I seen a pic from you that is boring. Keep em coming, they are awesome. Thanks again. I may try a new way to observe tonight. Really hot here, and so is the pool. So may try leaving the cover off, floating on a raft, and checking some debris out. Risky, albeit, as there is a drink holder in the raft and it will be occupied. Hope I don't roll off the raft and drown. However, the thirst for knowledge, exploration, is fraught with risk. Every step up the ladder of science......... uh, is mined with banana peels blink.gif But I digress. Hope I see some streaks, but thinking one way or another I may. A lightning bug on coke may do it.

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 16 2015, 06:43 AM
Post #48

QUOTE(rtcemc @ Aug 15 2015, 09:44 PM) *
MJ, never have I seen a pic from you that is boring. Keep em coming, they are awesome. Thanks again. I may try a new way to observe tonight. Really hot here, and so is the pool. So may try leaving the cover off, floating on a raft, and checking some debris out. Risky, albeit, as there is a drink holder in the raft and it will be occupied. Hope I don't roll off the raft and drown. However, the thirst for knowledge, exploration, is fraught with risk. Every step up the ladder of science......... uh, is mined with banana peels blink.gif But I digress. Hope I see some streaks, but thinking one way or another I may. A lightning bug on coke may do it.

tongue.gif
Attached Image

The meteor shower app I have on my phone indicates one could see a stray "Perseid" up until 8/24.

Thanks for the kind words. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sagebrusher
post Aug 26 2015, 01:56 PM
Post #49

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 2,132

I missed a really good one, it lit up the sky like lightning, but a building was in the way!
mad.gif

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 2 2016, 05:15 AM
Post #50

It's looking like it may be a good year for the Perseids. Although the moon phase isn't terribly favorable (within a week of full), it could make up for it in shear numbers. The "peak" time is still an estimate. I honestly haven't ventured out at all, but I may tonight. Sites haven't really cooperated, but tonight looks better, plus there's a chance at auroras as well tonight.

I was going the peak would be over the weekend, as I am heading 2 hours north to my dad's call for darker skies. Really looking forward to it as my niece and nephew will be joining me. They are very excited, so I really hope the weather behaves.

I've seen a few outlets calling for a good show.

Attached Image

Snippet
In 2016, astronomers expect an outburst of Perseid meteors! The prediction is for 200 meteors per hour seen on the peak night, August 11-12 (evening of August 11, morning of August 12). Thatís about double the usual rate. From southerly latitudes in the Southern Hemisphere, youíll enjoy the shower, too, with about a third as many meteors expected. In 2016, the waxing gibbous moon sets before the predawn hours. So if the outburst occurs before dawn for you, the moon wonít be in the way. Will you see the outburst? Maybe. The peak rates are predicted to last about half a day, from late August 11 to mid-August 12 UTC. But, outburst or no outburst, the Perseids are always a treat. Follow the links below to learn more:

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/e...d-meteor-shower

--------------------

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Aug 3 2016, 04:57 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 21,746

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Aug 2 2016, 06:15 AM) *
It's looking like it may be a good year for the Perseids. Although the moon phase isn't terribly favorable (within a week of full), it could make up for it in shear numbers. The "peak" time is still an estimate. I honestly haven't ventured out at all, but I may tonight. Sites haven't really cooperated, but tonight looks better, plus there's a chance at auroras as well tonight.

I was going the peak would be over the weekend, as I am heading 2 hours north to my dad's call for darker skies. Really looking forward to it as my niece and nephew will be joining me. They are very excited, so I really hope the weather behaves.

I've seen a few outlets calling for a good show.

Attached Image

Snippet

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/e...d-meteor-shower

Watching the weekend forecast and seeing the Dp's all but disappear for the entire northeast, in the Saturday evening time period. Could be the best chance in the short range. Looking forward, it may return to humid down this way, come the 11-12th.

Here's to hoping we get a couple nights nearer the anticipated peak (early mornings not looking as good, if I read correctly)

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 3 2016, 08:08 PM
Post #52

So we meet again, same time each year. Thanks MJ, UT my son has a flash picture connected to his telescope now and has it working, so this might be a great time to try it. That being said, last year was not a good show here. I believe we did struggle with some clouds both nights, but cleared out and just couldn't find the good time. So we are looking at next Thurs and Fri, and is there some viewing the few nights before??? Uh, yes I am too lazy to look it up laugh.gif

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 3 2016, 08:14 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(rtcemc @ Aug 3 2016, 09:08 PM) *
So we meet again, same time each year. Thanks MJ, UT my son has a flash picture connected to his telescope now and has it working, so this might be a great time to try it. That being said, last year was not a good show here. I believe we did struggle with some clouds both nights, but cleared out and just couldn't find the good time. So we are looking at next Thurs and Fri, and is there some viewing the few nights before??? Uh, yes I am too lazy to look it up laugh.gif

Uh RC, realize you are a bit lazy, but you can't even scroll back to the wonderful link MJ provided? Even for you, this is a new low, and you have already pretty much lowered the bar to ground level huh.gif

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Aug 4 2016, 04:18 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 21,746

Note to self: Start walk up UTS Hill by 4:15 instead of 4:45 - the sky lightens too quickly if you wait.

Mrs UTS and I did get to see a really good'n as we hit the eastern part of the climb towards the top of the ridge. It was a really bright (yellow) one and lasted a bit longer than a full second as it made a nearly full arc across the sky, from s/w - n/e. smile.gif

A good omen as we are not even close to the peak activity time period.

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 4 2016, 07:11 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(rtcemc @ Aug 3 2016, 09:08 PM) *

It's difficult to get a picture of a shooting star with a telescope because it has such a narrow field of view, in addition to is essentially being a very "slow" lens.

I use a wide angle lens. 12mm, unfortunately it's not wicked fast, only f/4. And I'm not rocking a full frame (35mm) DSLR. So I "manage" with what I got. smile.gif My brother is bringing an additional camera "upta camp", so I'll set up a 35mm f/1.8 on that. Not as wide a field of view, but catches way more light, as it's much "faster".

I try to use the lowest ISO possible to reduce "noise", and the longest exposure possible. If you don't mind star trails, you can just go with 30 seconds (longest my camera goes). I find that at 12mm, I don't get trails at about 10 seconds if memory serves. The 35mm begins getting trails at like 4-5 seconds.

I'm a Nikon guy, with my camera I turn off the noise reduction, otherwise each image takes time to process, and you can miss one.

Some lenses can simply be set to "infinity" for focus. I normally take test shoot and zoom in with the viewfinder, slowly tweaking till I get those sharp "points"

Tripod and remote shutter release are essential.

Not sure you wanted a tutorial, but there's that. Happy to answer any questions I can. Everything I know is from trial and error, and maybe reading a bit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 5 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #56

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Aug 4 2016, 08:11 PM) *
It's difficult to get a picture of a shooting star with a telescope because it has such a narrow field of view, in addition to is essentially being a very "slow" lens.

I use a wide angle lens. 12mm, unfortunately it's not wicked fast, only f/4. And I'm not rocking a full frame (35mm) DSLR. So I "manage" with what I got. smile.gif My brother is bringing an additional camera "upta camp", so I'll set up a 35mm f/1.8 on that. Not as wide a field of view, but catches way more light, as it's much "faster".

I try to use the lowest ISO possible to reduce "noise", and the longest exposure possible. If you don't mind star trails, you can just go with 30 seconds (longest my camera goes). I find that at 12mm, I don't get trails at about 10 seconds if memory serves. The 35mm begins getting trails at like 4-5 seconds.

I'm a Nikon guy, with my camera I turn off the noise reduction, otherwise each image takes time to process, and you can miss one.

Some lenses can simply be set to "infinity" for focus. I normally take test shoot and zoom in with the viewfinder, slowly tweaking till I get those sharp "points"

Tripod and remote shutter release are essential.

Not sure you wanted a tutorial, but there's that. Happy to answer any questions I can. Everything I know is from trial and error, and maybe reading a bit.

No MJ, wanted all the advice we could get and thank you. My brilliant, physicist son is working on the whole camera/telescope thing. Yea, agree won't be good for meteors, but he has now gotten everything functioning. Did I tell you I still haven't figured out who the Mrs. slept with to get his brains ohmy.gif Just can't be my genes laugh.gif

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 7 2016, 07:08 PM
Post #57

Skies appear to be clearing, I might venture out for more than a peak tonight. We'll see. I pulled the trigger, and ordered a fisheye lens specifically for meteor showers. No promises...

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 8 2016, 05:03 AM
Post #58

Saw a few Perseids, and a few "others". Lots of space junk burning up, and dozens of satellites. I'm attempting something with the pictures from last night, it's a bit of a test, hopefully I'll have something here in a bit...

--------------------

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 9 2016, 09:46 AM
Post #59

Saw a few with the naked eye last night around 11 pm, MJ. Son may take scope out tonight as we grow nearer the peak.

+Quote Post
stxprowl
post Aug 10 2016, 09:29 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 20,184

The light pollution map is cool. http://www.nj.com/articles/19046047/meteor...eak_viewing.amp

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2017 - 10:45 PM