Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Perseid Meteor showers 2016, Est. Peak: August 11-12; up to 200/hr!
MaineJay
post Aug 11 2016, 04:22 AM
Post #61

Group: Member
Member No.: 28,288

I thought last night was going to allow something, even checked at 1am, and there was still low ocean stratus blocking the view. It had finally cleared by 430, but was too late for any meaningful viewing.

I'm still planning on heading north tomorrow, but my optimism is faltering. I'll put full effort into tonight, just need the weather to cooperate...

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Aug 11 2016, 04:22 AM

--------------------
The Solar Eclipse is coming!! Thread

"z = z2 + c" - Benoit Mandelbrot

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Richie14
post Aug 11 2016, 02:38 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 28,137

I am surprised this thread is so dead. I'm beyond excited for tonite and l to will be putting full effort in seeing it. Living right on the beach in Atlantic city leaves it way to light polluted so I'm gonna venture out to the pine barrens later smile.gif

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 11 2016, 05:59 PM
Post #63

There's a slight chance we get some clear skies tonight tonight, the activity is supposed to be...active. tongue.gif I'm hoping to get little sleep tonight.

Attached Image
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/satellite.php

Thin clouds now, but much more promising than last night.

--------------------

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 11 2016, 08:11 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 16,666

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Aug 11 2016, 06:59 PM) *
There's a slight chance we get some clear skies tonight tonight, the activity is supposed to be...active. tongue.gif I'm hoping to get little sleep tonight.

Attached Image
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/satellite.php

Thin clouds now, but much more promising than last night.

Ugh. same deal last year mad.gif So satellite is not looking good, yet the precip will stay to the north. Geez, that's just perfect mad.gif
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/pennsylva...atellite?play=1

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Aug 12 2016, 03:48 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 21,746

Lucky break in the sky in the wee hours. From 4:30-4:45 we saw 15 Perseid meteors and two satellites smile.gif. Then, the cloud deck moved in from the N and is wiping out the clear sky that was available

This post has been edited by Undertakerson: Aug 12 2016, 03:48 AM

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 12 2016, 04:22 AM
Post #66

Nice UTS, I was worried the clouds would roll in, so I got out early, and made it to 1230. I wish I was able to stay up longer, but it was a very long day, and I have to work today. I did take 387 30 second exposures, haven't checked to see if I caught any.

Certainly saw over a hundred. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Aug 12 2016, 04:27 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 21,746

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Aug 12 2016, 05:22 AM) *
Nice UTS, I was worried the clouds would roll in, so I got out early, and made it to 1230. I wish I was able to stay up longer, but it was a very long day, and I have to work today. I did take 387 30 second exposures, haven't checked to see if I caught any.

Certainly saw over a hundred. biggrin.gif

Just grateful that we had any clearing what so ever. Had we had a bigger window, definitely would have filled the bill for the best show ever. A couple of the nicer ones we saw left trails. The clearing was from ~3:30 until 4:45 (start time, according to Mrs UTS who got out of the sack earlier than I did).

I could lament not having clear skies for longer, but we'll take what we can get - considering that I expected zero oppt'y with the gross humidity levels.

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 12 2016, 05:04 AM
Post #68

The adverse sky conditions were certainly hindering my ability to capture many streaks. I am certainly glad to have just had a window to peer through. Just feel like I missed an opportunity, but I was literally falling asleep out there, and the mosquitoes...

Here are my best. The humidity can be seen in the red hue that plagued me all night.

Straight out of the camera, no post processing.

This one has a Perseid and a satellite (left).

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Aug 12 2016, 05:14 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 12 2016, 05:11 PM
Post #69

Hoping for better luck tonight. satellite has a chance but this pattern is so steamy and blocked up that everything just moving so slowly...
Thinking the Persieds need to move their annual event. This is typical weather round these parts this time of year. Perhaps they should pick a later date, say about 2 weeks later. Usually our BH has pulled up stakes by then...

+Quote Post
Richie14
post Aug 12 2016, 10:49 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 28,137

Saw a little over 150 mentors last night between 12:30 and 2 am. Really lucked out with a clear sky the entire time right over the field I was at while clouds were all around the field itself. Definitely something I will never forget. Gonna try to check it out tonite but considering I'll be at home in Atlantic city the light pollution will real put a damper on things.

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 12 2016, 11:12 PM
Post #71

QUOTE(Richie14 @ Aug 12 2016, 11:49 PM) *
Saw a little over 150 mentors last night between 12:30 and 2 am. Really lucked out with a clear sky the entire time right over the field I was at while clouds were all around the field itself. Definitely something I will never forget. Gonna try to check it out tonite but considering I'll be at home in Atlantic city the light pollution will real put a damper on things.

That is awesome. Glad someone got a good shot! Tonight's window looking better. This satellite is overdone. Lots of stars out but need bout half hour yet to kill that moon. Way too bright.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/pennsylva...llite-ir?play=1

+Quote Post
stxprowl
post Aug 12 2016, 11:14 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 20,184

I've seen about 5 in the last hour and a half in evesham NJ.

+Quote Post
stxprowl
post Aug 12 2016, 11:35 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 20,184

Just saw 2 really ,long ,bright white and blue meteors in he last 10 min!

+Quote Post
rtcemc
post Aug 13 2016, 08:54 AM
Post #74

C'mon UT, MJ. Updates!! I lasted till 1:20, but the moon was not quite buried yet. It had cleared out partly, but not great. I could see that the clearing was definitely progressing. However, just didn't see anything in 10 minutes. Will check with my son when he gets up later, as he was going to keep checking later. Hope you guys got to see a better show.

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 13 2016, 12:31 PM
Post #75

QUOTE(rtcemc @ Aug 13 2016, 09:54 AM) *
C'mon UT, MJ. Updates!! I lasted till 1:20, but the moon was not quite buried yet. It had cleared out partly, but not great. I could see that the clearing was definitely progressing. However, just didn't see anything in 10 minutes. Will check with my son when he gets up later, as he was going to keep checking later. Hope you guys got to see a better show.

I was completely clouded out last night, I have little hope for tonight, but it's still possible

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2017 - 10:23 AM