Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aurora Borealis, viewing information
MaineJay
post May 8 2014, 06:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 28,288

As I have only witnessed the Aurora Borealis once in October of 2003 , I'm keen to seen them again. Here is a site that shows viewing ability in real time.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ovation/index.html
Example

This post has been edited by MaineJay: May 8 2014, 06:26 PM
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
The Solar Eclipse is coming!! Thread

"z = z2 + c" - Benoit Mandelbrot

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kagy
post May 8 2014, 09:21 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 26,614

Very nice, thank you Jay! I've only seen them a couple times myself over the years.

--------------------
Ken was here!!!

+Quote Post
kagy
post May 8 2014, 09:23 PM
Post #3

And keep an eye to the sky May 23rd about midnight. Did you ever get that new scope?

This post has been edited by kagy: May 8 2014, 10:25 PM

--------------------
Ken was here!!!

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post May 9 2014, 05:05 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(kagy @ May 8 2014, 10:23 PM) *
And keep an eye to the sky May 23rd about midnight. Did you ever get that new scope?

Thanks! I'll mark my calendar.

I did, I have just been so busy, only taken it out a few times. It was a cold winter also, was usually going solo. Apparently, not everyone enjoys sitting out in the frigid cold, in the dead of night, to peer into space.

I did some awesome Jupiter viewing though, could see 4 moons, and with a little more magnification (need a couple accessories) I hopefully be able to see the giant red spot.

--------------------

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
kagy
post May 11 2014, 06:10 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(MaineJay @ May 9 2014, 06:05 AM) *
Thanks! I'll mark my calendar.

I did, I have just been so busy, only taken it out a few times. It was a cold winter also, was usually going solo. Apparently, not everyone enjoys sitting out in the frigid cold, in the dead of night, to peer into space.

I did some awesome Jupiter viewing though, could see 4 moons, and with a little more magnification (need a couple accessories) I hopefully be able to see the giant red spot.

Nice! What did you get? I've been using the same old ETX90 EC that I bought at a garage sale for 25 bucks years ago. It's not too often that you can see Saturn's rings with a 25 dollar scope! I'll have to blow the dust off it after the winter we had.

--------------------
Ken was here!!!

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post May 12 2014, 05:13 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(kagy @ May 11 2014, 07:10 PM) *
Nice! What did you get? I've been using the same old ETX90 EC that I bought at a garage sale for 25 bucks years ago. It's not too often that you can see Saturn's rings with a 25 dollar scope! I'll have to blow the dust off it after the winter we had.

I found a 13 year old 125 ETX that had never been opened. Literally was brand new. I hear Saturn is going to slide behind the moon on May 14th, only happens about every 18 years. I think prime viewing for that is in New Zealand and Australia however.

That's a great deal for a good score, I paid over 400 bucks for mine, but I'm very happy with it. I did finally order a T adapter, more I can hook my dslr up to it, should be here in a couple days, hopefully I'll get some pictures to post.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vomit
post May 12 2014, 07:30 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 22,287

Thanks for the heads up. Haven't seen the Northern lights in 8+ years.

I haven't had my LX200 out since last November. Worst winter in memory. Hope to rectify that soon.

--------------------
"All our lives we sweat and save building for a shallow grave." J.D. Morrison

+Quote Post
kagy
post May 12 2014, 06:00 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(vomit @ May 12 2014, 08:30 AM) *
Thanks for the heads up. Haven't seen the Northern lights in 8+ years.

I haven't had my LX200 out since last November. Worst winter in memory. Hope to rectify that soon.

Since I got my ETX, the LX series has been my dream scope.

--------------------
Ken was here!!!

+Quote Post
kagy
post May 12 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(MaineJay @ May 12 2014, 06:13 AM) *
I found a 13 year old 125 ETX that had never been opened. Literally was brand new. I hear Saturn is going to slide behind the moon on May 14th, only happens about every 18 years. I think prime viewing for that is in New Zealand and Australia however.

That's a great deal for a good score, I paid over 400 bucks for mine, but I'm very happy with it. I did finally order a T adapter, more I can hook my dslr up to it, should be here in a couple days, hopefully I'll get some pictures to post.

That's a sweet scope! Would love to see some pics.

--------------------
Ken was here!!!

+Quote Post
vomit
post May 14 2014, 08:05 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(MaineJay @ May 12 2014, 06:13 AM) *

I loved my ETX. As noted in another thread I was kind of bummed they discontinued the ETX-125. But going up through the LX90 and now the LX 200, I have been pretty happy with Meade. Not happy with the non-stop clouds though. This weekend I am on midnights....which means clear skies.

LOL.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post May 15 2014, 05:16 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(kagy @ May 12 2014, 07:03 PM) *
That's a sweet scope! Would love to see some pics.

Looking forward to the may 23rd meteor shower, from what I gather, it's relatively new and could hold some surprises.

Just got my #64 t adapter, now I just need to get out on some crisp clear nights, I'll try to get out tonight if the clouds hold at bay. I'm very green behind the camera and with a telescope, so it may take me a few attempts to capture any decent images, but I'm ready to try! biggrin.gif

Attached Image

Sorry about the sideways picture.

QUOTE(vomit @ May 14 2014, 09:05 AM) *
I loved my ETX. As noted in another thread I was kind of bummed they discontinued the ETX-125. But going up through the LX90 and now the LX 200, I have been pretty happy with Meade. Not happy with the non-stop clouds though. This weekend I am on midnights....which means clear skies.

LOL.

I feel spoiled, and at the same time intimidated by my scope. Viewing looks sketchy here for the next week or so.

This post has been edited by MaineJay: May 15 2014, 05:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
kagy
post May 15 2014, 06:13 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(MaineJay @ May 15 2014, 06:16 PM) *
Looking forward to the may 23rd meteor shower, from what I gather, it's relatively new and could hold some surprises.

Just got my #64 t adapter, now I just need to get out on some crisp clear nights, I'll try to get out tonight if the clouds hold at bay. I'm very green behind the camera and with a telescope, so it may take me a few attempts to capture any decent images, but I'm ready to try! biggrin.gif

Attached Image

I feel spoiled, and at the same time intimidated by my scope. Viewing looks sketchy here for the next week or so.

Awesome setup! looking forward to the pics! I too am looking forward to the 23rd, but it's been so cloudy, not getting my hopes up too high. Crossing my fingers though.

--------------------
Ken was here!!!

+Quote Post
vomit
post May 16 2014, 08:42 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(MaineJay @ May 15 2014, 06:16 PM) *

Attached Image

Nice! That brings back a lot of good memories for me. The ETX is a good little scope. Don't be intimidated....it's very forgiving. Clear skies!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post May 17 2014, 06:17 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(kagy @ May 15 2014, 07:13 PM) *
Awesome setup! looking forward to the pics! I too am looking forward to the 23rd, but it's been so cloudy, not getting my hopes up too high. Crossing my fingers though.

The f/15 aperture will be slooooow, so my plan is to go with the highest iso settings and work from there. I'll sacrifice the grainyness (not sure that's a real word). This will be a learning experience so I hope I'm not getting your hopes too high. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(vomit @ May 16 2014, 09:42 PM) *
Nice! That brings back a lot of good memories for me. The ETX is a good little scope. Don't be intimidated....it's very forgiving. Clear skies!

I love how you call it a little scope. I really appreciate your assistance with the decision.

I'm hoping for some breaks in the clouds tonight. Still about 50% clouds, but the winds seem to be light and dry. NWS has got my hopes up.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM SUNDAY MORNING/...
THE COLD FRONT IS MOVING VERY SLOWLY EAST AND MUCH DRIER AIR IS
MOVING INTO THE WESTERN PORTION OF THE FORECAST AREA AT THE
MOMENT. SKIES ARE CLEARING FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST. WITH THE
FRONT STALLING JUST TO OUR EAST DEWPOINTS IN THE EASTERN PART OF
THE FORECAST AREA WILL REMAIN HIGHER THAN TO THE WEST. EXPECT SOME
FOG TO DEVELOP LATE TONIGHT IN EASTERN AREAS. HOWEVER MOST OF THE
REGION WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE MOUNTAINS SHOULD SEE VERY LITTLE
SKY COVER TONIGHT.
LOW TEMPERATURES TONIGHT SHOULD REMAIN IN THE
UPPER 40S TO AROUND 50 IN THE EAST WITH LOWER TO MID 40S WEST AND
UPPER 30S TO LOWER 40S IN THE MOUNTAINS USED A BLEND OF MODELS FOR
LOW TEMPS.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?si...p;highlight=off

--------------------

+Quote Post
vomit
post May 17 2014, 09:45 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(MaineJay @ May 17 2014, 07:17 PM) *
I love how you call it a little scope. I really appreciate your assistance with the decision.

No problem. I started with the ETX-90....quickly got the ETX-125, and have since been upping the aperture. I cannot see going past the 10" LX200. Unless I do a permanent mount. I have all I can do to move the LX200. And have yet to haul it to camp.....

Clear skies!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post May 20 2014, 04:35 AM
Post #16

Got a couple of shots thought I the clouds ands haziness. I clearly over compensated and over exposed, shutter was too slow. Lesson learned.

Here is Mars, I may get some clearing tonight. Here's to hoping!

This post has been edited by MaineJay: May 20 2014, 04:36 AM
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
vomit
post May 20 2014, 07:47 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(MaineJay @ May 20 2014, 05:35 AM) *
Got a couple of shots thought I the clouds ands haziness. I clearly over compensated and over exposed, shutter was too slow. Lesson learned.

Here is Mars, I may get some clearing tonight. Here's to hoping!

Mars---even under the best of circumstances----is a tough one to crack. had very little luck with it. Have you tried Saturn?

Another thing to assure a good pic is to buy/make a bahtinov mask for good focus. I cannot emphasize this enough. It works!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telescopes-5-5-8-5...s-/380379895503

That is the BEST advice I could give you. Being a rank amateur, I need every edge I can get. As noted in the other post I am moving on from my Meade LPI camera. Primarily because the software does not work with Windows 7.
I am hoping the new Celestron camera will keep me busy for a year or two. Than....maybe....onto a DSI, and some deep sky stuff.

But, again, the learning curve looks pretty steep. I wish I could take a course in astrophotography. Nothing like "hands on" to get your feet wet.

Clear skies to you all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post May 20 2014, 06:42 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(vomit @ May 20 2014, 08:47 AM) *
Mars---even under the best of circumstances----is a tough one to crack. had very little luck with it. Have you tried Saturn?

Another thing to assure a good pic is to buy/make a bahtinov mask for good focus. I cannot emphasize this enough. It works!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telescopes-5-5-8-5...s-/380379895503

That is the BEST advice I could give you. Being a rank amateur, I need every edge I can get. As noted in the other post I am moving on from my Meade LPI camera. Primarily because the software does not work with Windows 7.
I am hoping the new Celestron camera will keep me busy for a year or two. Than....maybe....onto a DSI, and some deep sky stuff.

But, again, the learning curve looks pretty steep. I wish I could take a course in astrophotography. Nothing like "hands on" to get your feet wet.

Clear skies to you all.

There is a guy near me that takes people out for Astrophotography, but with just a dslr I think. It's like 300 bucks, one of these days I hope to treat myself.

http://miketaylorphoto.smugmug.com/About

My plan was to try and get a shot of Saturn, so I was trying to practice on mars since it was easy to see all night, and I was waiting for Saturn to come into view. I should go down to the lake for more sky, I plan to when the clouds break, but that won't be for a week it looks like. Tonight was supposed to clear out, but it's solid cloud cover.

Thanks for the bahtinov mask information, that looks very helpful. I plan on constructing one soon. I notice my scope's focal length changes from 1900mm to 2310mm when using the t adapter. I plan on making two, one to each specifications. They came out a but different upon generation, so it made sense to me to make both.

Clear skies my friend!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post May 20 2014, 08:11 PM
Post #19

Find another cool site, this one monitors meteors.
http://fireballs.ndc.nasa.gov/
couple of example images
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Sep 11 2014, 04:09 PM
Post #20

Interesting mention from my local weather office today, heads up for all you that live in the northern reaches.

CLEAR SKIES AND CALM WINDS FRIDAY NIGHT WILL ALLOW TEMPERATURES TO
FALL QUICKLY INTO THE 40S AT MOST LOCATIONS IN THE CWA. WITH THE
FORECAST OF INCREASED AURORAL ACTIVITY TOMORROW NIGHT AND CLEAR
SKIES...THERE COULD BE A GOOD CHANCE TO SEE A NICE AURORA BOREALIS
EVENT.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?si...p;highlight=off

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2017 - 10:45 PM