Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Geminid Meteor Shower, Est. Peak 12/13/16; 120/hr; mag ~2.6; velocity ~35km/s
MaineJay
post Nov 30 2014, 05:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 28,288

Trying to give folks a bit more lead time till the Geminid shower, could be good this year. Perhaps even coupled with some auroras. I'd love to get a photo of that!! biggrin.gif I'm optimistic

GEMINID METEOR SHOWER: Mark your calendar: The annual Geminid meteor shower peaks this year on Dec. 14th when dark-sky observers around the world could see as many as 120 meteors per hour. The source of the display is "rock comet" 3200 Phaethon. As November comes to a close, Earth is entering the outskirts of 3200 Phaethon's debris stream, and this is causing some Geminids to appear weeks ahead of peak night. The first Geminid fireball of the season was detected on Nov. 26th by NASA's network of all-sky meteor cameras

http://spaceweather.com

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Dec 8 2016, 06:14 AM

--------------------
The Solar Eclipse is coming!! Thread

"z = z2 + c" - Benoit Mandelbrot

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vomit
post Nov 30 2014, 06:29 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 22,287

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Nov 30 2014, 05:35 AM) *
Trying to give folks a bit more lead time till the Geminid shower, could be good this year. Perhaps even coupled with some auroras. I'd love to get a photo of that!! biggrin.gif I'm optimistic
http://spaceweather.com

Good luck. Keep us posted.

--------------------
"All our lives we sweat and save building for a shallow grave." J.D. Morrison

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Dec 16 2014, 06:48 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(vomit @ Nov 30 2014, 06:29 PM) *
Good luck. Keep us posted.

Clouds hung around, imagine that.. did see a nice rogue find the other night when it finally cleared. But nothing much otherwise.

--------------------

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Dec 5 2015, 06:12 AM
Post #4

It's Geminid time! The annual Geminid meteor shower is upon us. Peak looks like Dec 13-14. Moon phase looks very favorable, and widespread mild temperatures should help encourage viewing. Let's h hope we can get a few more replies this go round.

I'm departing for the British virgin islands tomorrow, and have been debating whether or not to bring my camera. I wasn't going to, but I think I must try and get a picture of the southern cross. I'll be home for the peak, so weather permitting, I'll have some images to share hopefully.

Clear skies!!

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Dec 5 2015, 01:53 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Dec 9 2015, 05:44 AM
Post #5

So I lugged my camera and tripod down here to 18N. I have some challenges. Clouds are the obvious due to the 80 water, second, I have 1,400 feet of Gorda peak blocking my southern view. It may require a long walk down the beach to get the shot I want. I will be scouting locations today. Can't promise anything, but I will be home for the events peak, but just barely. My window of opportunity is slim but if conditions allow, I'll be out there.

Side note, auroras could fire up tonight.

Away we go.

THE GEMINID METEOR SHOWER IS UNDERWAY: Canada's Meteor Orbit Radar (CMOR) is picking up echoes from the constellation Gemini. It's a sign that the annual Geminid meteor shower is underway. The bright pink "hot spot" in this radar sky map shows where Geminid meteoroids are hitting the atmosphere:

Geminid meteors are gravelly debris from "rock comet" 3200 Phaethon. They hit Earth's atmosphere traveling ~35 km/s (78,000 mph) and typically disintegrate about 80 km (50 miles) above Earth's surface. While many Geminids are faint, bright fireballs are not unusual. Indeed, NASA's all-sky network of meteor cameras recorded 5 Geminid fireballs over te USA just last night.

The debris zone of 3200 Phaethon is broad, and Earth is only in the outskirts now. Meteor sightings will increase in the nights ahead as Earth plunges deeper into the swarm of meteoroids. Forecasters expect peak rates to occur on Dec. 13-14, when dark-sky observers in both hemispheres could see as many as 120 meteors per hour. Observing conditions will be nearly ideal because the shower peaks just a few days after the New Moon

http://spaceweather.com/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Dec 11 2015, 04:37 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 21,746

So far, no good as far as conditions. Had good cond's this morning but sad.gif

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Dec 12 2015, 03:50 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,204

Overnight fog has hampered viewing the sky.

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Dec 12 2015, 07:26 PM
Post #8

Conditions in the B.V.I. were quite variable, and clouds would move in and out rather quickly. I was impressed with the clarity of the sky. I honestly didn't get out as much as I wanted, but please forgive me, as I was distracted. smile.gif got a couple milky way shots but didn't see any Geminids.

Unfortunately, it's a near certainty that I'll be clouded out of the peak mad.gif I'll still try in the days following. Besides, I'm taking the red eye home, not sure I'll have enough in the tank tomorrow night anyhow.

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Dec 12 2015, 07:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Dec 13 2015, 04:58 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Dec 12 2015, 07:26 PM) *
Conditions in the B.V.I. were quite variable, and clouds would move in and out rather quickly. I was impressed with the clarity of the sky. I honestly didn't get out as much as I wanted, but please forgive me, as I was distracted. smile.gif got a couple milky way shots but didn't see any Geminids.

Unfortunately, it's a near certainty that I'll be clouded out of the peak mad.gif I'll still try in the days following. Besides, I'm taking the red eye home, not sure I'll have enough in the tank tomorrow night anyhow.

laugh.gif

I would surmise that those two bolded statement go together somehow wink.gif (sorry to pick the low hanging fruit)

Here in Jolly Old London town, I mean CTP land. The constant plague of foggy mornings continues - breaks, if there are any, in the clouds and fog do not last. For once I would be able to view the Gem's without freezing my "you know what" off - and we get too much ambient moisture to ruin it. sad.gif

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Dec 13 2015, 08:15 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Dec 13 2015, 05:58 AM) *
laugh.gif

I would surmise that those two bolded statement go together somehow wink.gif (sorry to pick the low hanging fruit)

Here in Jolly Old London town, I mean CTP land. The constant plague of foggy mornings continues - breaks, if there are any, in the clouds and fog do not last. For once I would be able to view the Gem's without freezing my "you know what" off - and we get too much ambient moisture to ruin it. sad.gif

I can't wait to go back. biggrin.gif

Through the miracle of modern technology I'm able to post from 35,000 feet. Approaching JFK now, one more leg to get home.
No Geminids, but hers a pic of the sunrise from the stratosphere. I'm on the west facing side of the plane, so not a direct shot. But cool none the less. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
vomit
post Dec 14 2015, 12:15 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 22,287

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Dec 13 2015, 08:15 AM) *
I can't wait to go back. biggrin.gif

Through the miracle of modern technology I'm able to post from 35,000 feet. Approaching JFK now, one more leg to get home.
No Geminids, but hers a pic of the sunrise from the stratosphere. I'm on the west facing side of the plane, so not a direct shot. But cool none the less. cool.gif

Very cool! The clouds & rain are nonstop here........

--------------------
"All our lives we sweat and save building for a shallow grave." J.D. Morrison

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Dec 15 2015, 05:32 AM
Post #12

Had a ten minute window of clouds breaking up at about 5 a.m. today. Residual clouds from the overnight showers were breaking up and the sky behind was crystal clear - but there was only a "window" in the middle of the sky (IOW directly overhead was clear, but there were clouds at the horizon)
Saw two Geminids in quick succession during that period. Then the clouds moved back in from the west northwest mad.gif

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Dec 15 2015, 06:24 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(vomit @ Dec 14 2015, 12:15 PM) *
Very cool! The clouds & rain are nonstop here........

Thanks! I thought it might stay clear on Sunday, but the clouds ended up rolling in and they have persisted ever since. Oh well, we win some, we lose some. There's always another. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Dec 15 2015, 06:26 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Dec 15 2015, 05:32 AM) *
Had a ten minute window of clouds breaking up at about 5 a.m. today. Residual clouds from the overnight showers were breaking up and the sky behind was crystal clear - but there was only a "window" in the middle of the sky (IOW directly overhead was clear, but there were clouds at the horizon)
Saw two Geminids in quick succession during that period. Then the clouds moved back in from the west northwest mad.gif

Nice that you saw something UTS. Zero opportunity here. Turning my attention to the comet first chance I get.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Dec 15 2015, 08:42 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Dec 15 2015, 06:26 AM) *
Nice that you saw something UTS. Zero opportunity here. Turning my attention to the comet first chance I get.

I have to imagine this year's show is decent, given that I saw those two despite the very limited opportuities we've had. By the time the ideal conditiosn seem to be here, the show will be all but over sad.gif

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Dec 8 2016, 06:17 AM
Post #16

We gotta fight the effects of a full moon, but imma gonna try.

December 13-14 is peak.

Clear skies!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2017 - 10:40 PM