Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Comet Lovejoy; C/2014 Q2, Viewing: Dec-April; peak~ Jan
MaineJay
post Jan 18 2015, 06:43 AM
Post #21

Group: Member
Member No.: 28,288

QUOTE(vomit @ Jan 17 2015, 04:52 PM) *
You're gonna have to head to Michigan's UP and give me a tutorial!

I've driven coast to coast several times, so far have hit 42 of the lower 48 (hopefully I'll hit Hawaii and Alaska someday) but I consider the UP of Michigan as being distinct, would love to see someday. I'm flattered you think enough of my skills to want my tutelage smile.gif , I'd gladly pass along any knowledge and *expertise* I have accumulated. I don't get much time for daylight photography, so shooting the night skies works well for me as I handle the cold pretty well. I need to put enough time in and gain some more experience this winter, because I am dying to go on a trip with this guy, Mike Taylor, he's based in Maine!, and I have at least a million questions to ask. I just wan't a solid knowledge base first, my future sister in law is a professional photographer, so I'm lucky to have someone who can help me. She's been very encouraging and helpful, plus she's a Nikon fan, like myself, nothing again Canon, as I believe Canon to be better with action shots. I just feel Nikon lenses are generally superior, but that's the opinion of a carpenter tongue.gif Although I LOVE my wide angle Tokina, their product line up is not very robust, and don't offer a ton (if any) in the f/1.8 range. My dream is to one day have a Carl Zeiss...a boy can dream. biggrin.gif lenses are so expensive, especially the widest apertures, which are essential for astrophotography.

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Jan 17 2015, 08:56 PM) *
Skies cleared nicely and I got as good a view as my binoculars would allow. But even better - a horizon wide fireball blazed the sky from northwest to southwest at about 33 degrees in me and the Mrs. line of sight.

It lasted about 4-5 seconds and started bright and then "flared up" as it reached the bottom of its arc before fading as it disappeared on the sw horizon. Time spotted was 8:44 give or take a minute.

We go on walks at 5 a.m. most weekdays and see fireballs a couple times a year, but none match this one for length of path and brightness. Very cool - a good omen, we say.

Sweet! I'm very glad that you and the Mrs got out there and the skies were cooperative enough. I'm quite jealous, I love fireballs, I still remember one I saw about 14 years ago that broke into two as it dropped from the sky. Stunning celestial events. Capturing an image of one would likely be more luck than skill, lots of hours out there, and a healthy dose of serendipity required. Thanks for noting the time UTS, when the ASGARD web log updates, I'll check to see if it was detected, maybe we can conjure up an image from there cool.gif. Thanks for adding a third poster to the astronomy sub forum, we get lonely in here. laugh.gif it's like vomit's and mine own little clique.
http://fireballs.ndc.nasa.gov

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Jan 18 2015, 06:45 AM

--------------------
Maybe the hokey pokey really is what it's all about.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Jan 18 2015, 07:37 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 21,746

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Jan 18 2015, 06:43 AM) *
I've driven coast to coast several times, so far have hit 42 of the lower 48 (hopefully I'll hit Hawaii and Alaska someday) but I consider the UP of Michigan as being distinct, would love to see someday. I'm flattered you think enough of my skills to want my tutelage smile.gif , I'd gladly pass along any knowledge and *expertise* I have accumulated. I don't get much time for daylight photography, so shooting the night skies works well for me as I handle the cold pretty well. I need to put enough time in and gain some more experience this winter, because I am dying to go on a trip with this guy, Mike Taylor, he's based in Maine!, and I have at least a million questions to ask. I just wan't a solid knowledge base first, my future sister in law is a professional photographer, so I'm lucky to have someone who can help me. She's been very encouraging and helpful, plus she's a Nikon fan, like myself, nothing again Canon, as I believe Canon to be better with action shots. I just feel Nikon lenses are generally superior, but that's the opinion of a carpenter tongue.gif Although I LOVE my wide angle Tokina, their product line up is not very robust, and don't offer a ton (if any) in the f/1.8 range. My dream is to one day have a Carl Zeiss...a boy can dream. biggrin.gif lenses are so expensive, especially the widest apertures, which are essential for astrophotography.
Sweet! I'm very glad that you and the Mrs got out there and the skies were cooperative enough. I'm quite jealous, I love fireballs, I still remember one I saw about 14 years ago that broke into two as it dropped from the sky. Stunning celestial events. Capturing an image of one would likely be more luck than skill, lots of hours out there, and a healthy dose of serendipity required. Thanks for noting the time UTS, when the ASGARD web log updates, I'll check to see if it was detected, maybe we can conjure up an image from there cool.gif. Thanks for adding a third poster to the astronomy sub forum, we get lonely in here. laugh.gif it's like vomit's and mine own little clique.
http://fireballs.ndc.nasa.gov

Yes - I did report to their site so hopefully others saw it and did as well. Then maybe there will be an image. I checked local news outlets and no one else reported it or they did not think it newsworthy ( I honestly can't imagine that we were the only ones - being how brilliant it was on the otherwise dark sky)

We went out earlier in the evening to see the Mercury, Mars, Venus juxtaposition (alignment?) then watched Jupiter on the eastern sky as we tried to get a good fix on Lovejoy (which was by then almost directly overhead but a bit towards the west). The sky was an active place last night - we are so lucky the cirrus stayed away.

Mrs. UTS was raised, mainly, by her grandparents. Her grandfather is still fondly remembered by the 50+ set as the kind old man who introduced the neighborhood kids (ridge runners) to the night time sky. He used to make his own scopes and all - I still have some of the lenses he bought but didn't manage to work into the scopes - which, by the way, he made so to give away to the "juniors" as he called them. We look for "his" star (Betelgeuse) - for whatever reason, he had an attraction towards that part of Orion. I think Mrs. UTS feels "closer" to him when we venture out for celestial shows.

This post has been edited by Undertakerson: Jan 18 2015, 07:38 AM

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Jan 20 2015, 06:31 AM
Post #23

Despite the occasional clouds, I got out there last night, it was challenging. The residual moisture was really giving quite a red undertone, but I believe Lovejoy is brighter than the other night, and a better tail. I'll be shooting tonight so long as the skies cooperate. Last night efforts. As the clouds got worse, swung over and shot Jupiter through the trees. Enjoy.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Jan 20 2015, 06:33 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Jan 20 2015, 05:41 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 21,746

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Jan 20 2015, 06:31 AM) *
Despite the occasional clouds, I got out there last night, it was challenging. The residual moisture was really giving quite a red undertone, but I believe Lovejoy is brighter than the other night, and a better tail. I'll be shooting tonight so long as the skies cooperate. Last night efforts. As the clouds got worse, swung over and shot Jupiter through the trees. Enjoy.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Wow - very nice indeed Jay! Well done.

Hey, what about this puppy?

Two nights ago, Australian comet observer Michael Mattiazzo took a routine picture of Finlay and discovered it at magnitude +8. Today it's a magnitude brighter and now joins Comet Lovejoy as the second binocular comet of 2015. Comet-wise, we've gone from zero to 60 and the new year's fewer than 3 weeks old!

Comet Finlay's threw its first tantrum last December when it reached binocular visibility (faintly) shortly before Christmas. Discovered by William Henry Finlay from South Africa on September 26, 1886, the comet circles the Sun every 6.5 years. This time around it reached perihelion on December 27th and spent many nights near the planet Mars low in the western sky. Until the new outburst, the comet had returned to its predicted brightness (~10 magnitude) and departed company with the Red Planet.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-01-comet-finlay-...culars.html#jCp

This post has been edited by Undertakerson: Jan 20 2015, 05:43 PM

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Jan 20 2015, 11:44 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Jan 20 2015, 05:41 PM) *
Wow - very nice indeed Jay! Well done.

Hey, what about this puppy?

Thanks!

Nice find, I might have a good location I can set up nearby and try to capture an image. Went over to my buddies house to get 400' extra elevation and better western sky. Temps were dropping into the mid teens on stiff NW winds, anyone tired of Lovejoy yet? tongue.gif tonight's effort, these might be my best.

Attached Image

Attached Image

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Jan 20 2015, 11:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
vomit
post Jan 21 2015, 05:59 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 22,287

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Jan 20 2015, 11:44 PM) *
Thanks!

Nice find, I might have a good location I can set up nearby and try to capture an image. Went over to my buddies house to get 400' extra elevation and better western sky. Temps were dropping into the mid teens on stiff NW winds, anyone tired of Lovejoy yet? tongue.gif tonight's effort, these might be my best.

Attached Image

Attached Image

You have outdone yourself, sir! I LIKE IT!

I managed to get out last night & get the binos on the comet.....sweeet! Could see a very faint tail. If the weather is clear over the next few nights, I am going to try & get some scope time on it!

Good times!

--------------------
"All our lives we sweat and save building for a shallow grave." J.D. Morrison

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Jan 21 2015, 06:25 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(vomit @ Jan 21 2015, 05:59 AM) *
You have outdone yourself, sir! I LIKE IT!

I managed to get out last night & get the binos on the comet.....sweeet! Could see a very faint tail. If the weather is clear over the next few nights, I am going to try & get some scope time on it!

Good times!

I'm flattered smile.gif to be honest, I haven't even got the scope on it, I have been so focused with the camera, and limited on time, that I have neglected to bring it out. Last night was almost optimal conditions save the wind, so I focused sorely on capturing an image. Unfortunately, I'm realizing that my 35mm f/1.8 has some issues, namely, the last 1/5 or so if the image has some pretty bad distribution, especially wide open. Not a huge deal as I have been keeping my subjects to the right, and it's an entry model Nikon lens. I am now saving my pennies for this baby, if I could have had it in my hand last night, I would have found a way to buy it tongue.gif .

Attached Image

My dream would be to mate it to a Nikon D750. But that's a pricey endeavor... if I could sell pictures I would do in a heart beat.

If the skies cooperate I'm gonna take the scope out tonight.

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Jan 21 2015, 06:28 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 02:58 PM