Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Full "Snow" Moon/Jupiter, February 3-5 2015
Undertakerson
post Feb 4 2015, 04:39 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 21,746

There is a great chance to see two sky giants in the same part of the evening sky (providing that there are no clouds of course)

I tried to get a good picture but I have a cheap camera, decent lens combo so not sure how this rates. But I think it's kind of cool.

Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Feb 4 2015, 06:03 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 28,288

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Feb 4 2015, 04:39 AM) *
There is a great chance to see two sky giants in the same part of the evening sky (providing that there are no clouds of course)

I tried to get a good picture but I have a cheap camera, decent lens combo so not sure how this rates. But I think it's kind of cool.

Attached Image

I'm impressed! I'm totally a trial and error guy with photography.

Looks awesome! It's not easy to resolve Jupiter with that moon so bright and close to it. I should have put my big boy pants on last night, I had a feeling I'd see an ice halo. Despite temps around 0, the air seemed to have a "dampness" to it. I had to hold my breath for like 20 seconds, else the moon looked blurry and had a mini halo that would linger in my breath. Which was pretty cool itself. I toyed with taking a picture like that, but I didn't. Darn.

Thanks for sharing the image, especially since I didn't capture one. smile.gif

--------------------
Maybe the hokey pokey really is what it's all about.

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Feb 4 2015, 06:35 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Feb 4 2015, 06:03 AM) *
I'm impressed! I'm totally a trial and error guy with photography.

Looks awesome! It's not easy to resolve Jupiter with that moon so bright and close to it. I should have put my big boy pants on last night, I had a feeling I'd see an ice halo. Despite temps around 0, the air seemed to have a "dampness" to it. I had to hold my breath for like 20 seconds, else the moon looked blurry and had a mini halo that would linger in my breath. Which was pretty cool itself. I toyed with taking a picture like that, but I didn't. Darn.

Thanks for sharing the image, especially since I didn't capture one. smile.gif

Thx MJ - the lens is a Schneider Kreunhauz 45.5mm-55mm (whatever that mean - a pro once told me it is respectable given that it is on an EasyShare Camera)

I had a hard time setting up the tripod and had to take 12 images to get this, the best one.

Glad you enjoyed. smile.gif

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Feb 4 2015, 06:54 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 28,288

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Feb 4 2015, 06:35 AM) *
Thx MJ - the lens is a Schneider Kreunhauz 45.5mm-55mm (whatever that mean - a pro once told me it is respectable given that it is on an EasyShare Camera)

I had a hard time setting up the tripod and had to take 12 images to get this, the best one.

Glad you enjoyed. smile.gif

Very much, I often take 100-200 images when I go out, completely understand the difficulties. I used to think it was easy with the tripod, I was wrong. Having the remote shutter release helps immensely.

I had never heard of those lenses, but I just googled it. Those Schneider Kreunhauz lenses appear to be of the highest quality, I'll be looking into them for a f/1.4 now. Have to price compare to the Zeiss.

Sounds like it's has a bit of zoom if it goes from 45.5-55mm. Divide this number by the sensor size to determine zoom.

The lens I use is a 35mm, my camera has a dx format cmos 18mm sensor (basically the film size) fx format are full 35mm sensors (these cameras are $1500+) So my 35mm/18mm sensor gives a 2x zoom, on a full format it would be 1:1.

--------------------
Maybe the hokey pokey really is what it's all about.

+Quote Post
vomit
post Feb 4 2015, 04:49 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 22,287

QUOTE(Undertakerson @ Feb 4 2015, 04:39 AM) *

Attached Image

I LIKE IT! I know there are ways (probably 2 shots) to change the exposure level and combine them. but who am I to complain? You do nice work. Wish I had your ambition. Cheers....and clear skies.

--------------------
"All our lives we sweat and save building for a shallow grave." J.D. Morrison

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Feb 4 2015, 08:04 PM
Post #6

I saw the ISS tonight but it cost me a nice shot of both Venus and Mars on the western horizon. The ISS vis pass was very bright but short so I was too focused on that. By the time I turned around, the cloud deck from tonight's storm had moved in sad.gif Then the clouds also ruined a round two of Jupiter and the Full Snow Moon as neither was high enough up for me to see yet mad.gif

Oh well, we try and sometimes win sometimes lose.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 10:56 PM