Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Comet Catalina, a.k.a. C/2013 US10
MaineJay
post Dec 10 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 28,288

Looks like Catalina is a one and done job. I'll likely turn my attention to her as soon as i get home. Looks like the Geminids will be obscured when I get home.

But, I'm looking forward to this. Only promise I can make, I'll try to capture an image.

Comet Catalina is passing by Venus in the morning sky this week, with only a few degrees separating the two. So let Venus be your guide. Wake up before sunrise, locate the Goddess of Love, and scan the surrounding sky using binoculars. Voilą--a comet! Detailed sky maps may be found in this article from Sky and Telescope.

Why does Comet Catalina have two tails? Almost all comets do. The sun-warmed nucleus of a comet spews a mixture of dust and gas into space. Quickly, the mixture separates into two distinct tails: The gaseous "ion tail" is pushed straight away from the sun by solar wind. The weightier dust tail resists solar wind pressure and aligns itself more or less with the comet's orbit. In Hemmerich's picture of Comet Catalina, the ion tail points up; the dust tail points down.

This is Comet Catalina's first visit to the inner solar system--and its last. The comet's close encounter with the sun in mid-November has placed it on a slingshot trajectory toward interstellar space. It will become easier to see in the weeks ahead as it approaches Earth, possibly brightening to 5th magnitude--barely visible to the naked eye and an easy target for backyard telescopes. Resources: 3D orbit, ephemerides.

http://spaceweather.com/

I'm hoping that Santa brings me a new lens this Christmas.

More info here.
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-n...lina-120320155/

Attached Image

Happy viewing!

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Dec 10 2015, 09:14 PM

--------------------
Maybe the hokey pokey really is what it's all about.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Undertakerson
post Dec 11 2015, 04:33 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 21,746

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Dec 10 2015, 09:16 PM) *
Looks like Catalina is a one and done job. I'll likely turn my attention to her as soon as i get home. Looks like the Geminids will be obscured when I get home.

But, I'm looking forward to this. Only promise I can make, I'll try to capture an image.
http://spaceweather.com/

I'm hoping that Santa brings me a new lens this Christmas.

More info here.
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-n...lina-120320155/

Attached Image

Happy viewing!

Nice - we finally burned off all the low and mid level fog here in the Susq Rvr Vly - so tonight should be clear viewing for this and the Gem's. Speaking of which, I viewed none this early a.m. (fog was very low level ATTM) had great sky conditions, but no show from Castor and Pollux.

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Jan 20 2016, 05:50 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 28,288

Well I finally got out there and took a couple pics this morning. Haven't had time to process them, only snapped a few.

Nikon D3100
Nikon 35mm/f1.8
ISO 3200
13 second exposure

Hind quarters of Ursa Major, aka the big dipper. There's a fuzzy green ball in there, see if you can find it. tongue.gif I'll clean up a couple shots when time permits.

This post has been edited by MaineJay: Jan 20 2016, 05:50 AM

--------------------
Maybe the hokey pokey really is what it's all about.

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jan 22 2016, 11:51 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,204

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Jan 20 2016, 05:50 AM) *
Well I finally got out there and took a couple pics this morning. Haven't had time to process them, only snapped a few.

Nikon D3100
Nikon 35mm/f1.8
ISO 3200
13 second exposure

Hind quarters of Ursa Major, aka the big dipper. There's a fuzzy green ball in there, see if you can find it. tongue.gif I'll clean up a couple shots when time permits.

Saw the fuzzy green spot in the original sized image.

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 05:49 AM