Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MERCURY TRANSIT!, Science transit mayhem
vomit
post May 9 2016, 07:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 22,287

Well, I got the scope set up this morning (the LX-200 with the piggybacked Coronado solar scope) and it was a great success. Clear skies, and the transit was on!! I set up my rig in the neighbors yard, so he could keep viewing even as I went to work. My kids & neighbors all saw a bit, and now I suffer at work. Anyone else viewing this spectacle?

What has science done????
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
"All our lives we sweat and save building for a shallow grave." J.D. Morrison
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vomit
post May 9 2016, 07:12 AM
Post #2

Neighbor giving it a look-see!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post May 9 2016, 05:03 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 28,288

I was wondering if you were going to get out there.

Nice! I didn't get out there sad.gif I have a piece of welders glass that I keep nearby too. Darn.

Get any pictures?

--------------------
The Solar Eclipse is coming!! Thread

"z = z2 + c" - Benoit Mandelbrot

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
vomit
post May 11 2016, 04:31 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(MaineJay @ May 9 2016, 06:03 PM) *
I was wondering if you were going to get out there.

Nice! I didn't get out there sad.gif I have a piece of welders glass that I keep nearby too. Darn.

Get any pictures?

Unfortunately no pix. We three that were viewing tried our smartphones to no avail. I should have set up my camera and all that but honestly I am on a work jag (86 hours this week) so I just didn't have the ambition. It was way cool, and am hoping the 2019 transit is clear.....

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post May 11 2016, 04:45 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(vomit @ May 11 2016, 05:31 PM) *
Unfortunately no pix. We three that were viewing tried our smartphones to no avail. I should have set up my camera and all that but honestly I am on a work jag (86 hours this week) so I just didn't have the ambition. It was way cool, and am hoping the 2019 transit is clear.....

No worries. smile.gif 86 hours, ugh. Hope you are taking care of yourself. I've been slacking. There was a decent comment last month, and auroras fired up recently, but I didn't get out for either. The black flies are out en force, so it takes Zen like patience to bear their wrath for any length of time. I have to deal with that all day, so I enjoy some time away from the biting insects.

--------------------

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
vomit
post May 12 2016, 04:31 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(MaineJay @ May 11 2016, 05:45 PM) *
No worries. smile.gif 86 hours, ugh. Hope you are taking care of yourself. I've been slacking. There was a decent comment last month, and auroras fired up recently, but I didn't get out for either. The black flies are out en force, so it takes Zen like patience to bear their wrath for any length of time. I have to deal with that all day, so I enjoy some time away from the biting insects.

All is well here...and actually as far as taking care of myself. I dropped 25# since the turn of the year....eating 100% better & working out 5+ times a week! So there is that. I am doubling down on the OT so I can put a garage up at camp. I wish I had a bit more time to get the scope out, but it has not happened. As June winds down I should have more time for fun.....not to mention the fact that we are going on a family vacation to Utah. Bryce & Zion parks....and I do believe both have astronomy programs at night. I am looking forward to that.

And don't mention the black flies. They are like a plague here (especially at camp)!

Clear skies to you & all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post May 12 2016, 05:43 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(vomit @ May 12 2016, 05:31 AM) *
All is well here...and actually as far as taking care of myself. I dropped 25# since the turn of the year....eating 100% better & working out 5+ times a week! So there is that. I am doubling down on the OT so I can put a garage up at camp. I wish I had a bit more time to get the scope out, but it has not happened. As June winds down I should have more time for fun.....not to mention the fact that we are going on a family vacation to Utah. Bryce & Zion parks....and I do believe both have astronomy programs at night. I am looking forward to that.

And don't mention the black flies. They are like a plague here (especially at camp)!

Clear skies to you & all.

Awesome job on health kick! Kudos. smile.gif

That's a great trip. I have visited most, if not all the Utah national parks/monuments, the rock formations are incredible. I think Bryce is one of the darkest spots in the lower 48. Unfortunately I wasn't into astronomy or photography type stuff at the time, so didn't take advantage of that. Have yourself a wonderful trip!

--------------------

+Quote Post
vomit
post May 13 2016, 05:49 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(MaineJay @ May 12 2016, 06:43 PM) *
Awesome job on health kick! Kudos. smile.gif

That's a great trip. I have visited most, if not all the Utah national parks/monuments, the rock formations are incredible. I think Bryce is one of the darkest spots in the lower 48. Unfortunately I wasn't into astronomy or photography type stuff at the time, so didn't take advantage of that. Have yourself a wonderful trip!

Thank you sir.

Am really looking forward to out west. Since we are flying I will not be bringing the scope mad.gif .
But I may pack a pair of binos. I have to buy some hiking stuff & get the family trained up. I will definitely report back on the astronomy aspects when we return.

Clear skies to you all.....looks like crappy weather here all weekend again.....alas, the joy of living in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2017 - 10:23 AM