Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> California Weather 'El-Lipsis' ..., "Discuss amongst yourselves" Forecasts, guests, and fun
idecline
post Apr 4 2017, 07:32 PM
Post #161

Group: Member
Member No.: 22,866

...more flora...

Attached File  33552587161_7b0a5643f6.jpg ( 118.62K ) Number of downloads: 0

...and fauna...

Attached File  33552585081_ebe7bc5fa8.jpg ( 89.37K ) Number of downloads: 0

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/news/a...a-borrego/80767

--------------------

"Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve."
- Max Planck

"I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness." - Max Planck

“Alice laughed. “There’s no use trying,” she said: “one can’t believe impossible things.” “I daresay you haven’t had much practice,” said the Queen. “When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” —Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass”
― Bruce Rosenblum, Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
idecline
post Apr 10 2017, 07:08 PM
Post #162

Lots of rain and wind over the last few days...Sunday was dry...today has a few fair weather cumulus clouds with a layer of high clouds signalling the arrival of another storm...
Attached File  isanepac.gif ( 760.25K ) Number of downloads: 0

The IR satellite view shows the quickly developing storm looming offshore...the local forecasters seem to be ignoring the fact that we have had a winter that had a series of sub-tropically influenced storms rolling through California over this 'wet' season...and the IR shows how quickly the storm seems to be 'blooming' in this unusually convective environment that the jet stream has provided us with so often...

El-Lipsis weather is inclined to believe that more energy and wind and rain will reach into California starting on Tuesday evening...and with the link-up to sub-tropical moisture that the WV loop seems to show...
Attached File  isawvcnepac.gif ( 625.99K ) Number of downloads: 0

A conduit of moisture goes all the way to Hawaii...and with this being an exceptional year...El-Lipsis is mouthing off about a big one/two punch coming through this week...first a moisture rich front...and then the colder, jet stream propelled storm that is roaring down from the southern GOA...
OPC Pacific 48hr map:
Attached File  P_48hrsfc.gif ( 295.64K ) Number of downloads: 0

This map appears to show the front having pushed ashore bringing with it a large amount of residual moisture from the sub-tropics (i.e. warm front section over Central California)...a larger amount of showers than forecast could be in line for early Wednesday...with a more vigorous impulse to come through Thursday into Friday
OPC Pacific 96hr:
Attached File  P_96hrsfc.gif ( 278.53K ) Number of downloads: 0

This leads to the conclusion of storms over the second half of the weekend...as a massive low creates a 'buckle' behind the current stream...and ushers in a blocking high...this should send a big storm 'over the top' for the central CONUS to enjoy next week as severe storms...

Or perhaps...the consistent 'weakness' in the upper air ridges will bring another series of ...

'Atmospheric River' storms until late April...(we are omitting the fact that either alternative is possible at this point...)

...as our previous host of what was called "Coffee Talk" would say...

Linda Richman...

More records...more late season storms...and a continued tropically influenced jet stream in California?

Discuss... rolleyes.gif

--------------------

"Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve."
- Max Planck

"I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness." - Max Planck

“Alice laughed. “There’s no use trying,” she said: “one can’t believe impossible things.” “I daresay you haven’t had much practice,” said the Queen. “When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” —Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass”

+Quote Post
idecline
post Apr 12 2017, 07:19 PM
Post #163

A lot of clouds, wind and brief drops of rain is all the day had to offer...comfortable temperatures
Attached File  isanepac.gif ( 772.77K ) Number of downloads: 0

The IR shows a quickly moving front has moved into a negative position...with strong winds and convection
...it looks to bring in a good dose of rain moving north to south over the Bay Area tonight...with another little 'swirly' thing following later...(a second developing little front will follow the low as begins to retrograde back towards the GOA...

...more on the way in a day or two...
OPC 96hr:
Attached File  P_96hrsfc.gif ( 274.25K ) Number of downloads: 0

...so April is still under the influence of a strong jet stream...a lack of high pressure with it's usual buoyancy
...and a very persistent pattern of 'parent' low(s) forming in the GOA...(acting as a kind of 'wave guide') huh.gif

...meanwhile...this has been a 'Bonus Round' for West Coast weather aficionados...delaying the fog season.
cool.gif

--------------------

- Max Planck

+Quote Post
idecline
post Apr 18 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #164

We had another impulse or two come through over the weekend into Tuesday morning...now a brief respite
Attached File  isawvcnepac.gif ( 613.67K ) Number of downloads: 0

...another little 'wave' of energy is trailing behind the front that moved out over the Nevada/Utah area today...in it's wake another low is developing in the strong jet-influenced flow (unusual for April)...

...at least it appears from the following maps that the fronts will continue to be shunted more to the north as the low pressures are pulled to the N then NW as th still are migrating around stubborn low pressure in the GOA...and a W. Canada high pressure flow...

48hr OPC:
Attached File  P_48hrsfc.gif ( 276.43K ) Number of downloads: 0

...this seems to show another vigorous storm that approaches the coast and veers northward as the SouthWestern desert/Great Basin area heats up and establishes a bit more high pressure influence upon the storms eastwards progress...
96hr OPC:
Attached File  P_96hrsfc.gif ( 278.97K ) Number of downloads: 0

...this obviously does not prevent the jet stream from continuing to send storms across the Pacific Ocean towards the West Coast...even if the foci for the pattern seems to be progressing north...(for now) blink.gif

...in El-Lipsis weather terminology...this implies an 'omission' of some possibilities...which is our 'definition' ...and our commitment to try to decipher the small piece of the puzzle that is our weather... dry.gif

--------------------

- Max Planck

+Quote Post
idecline
post Apr 19 2017, 08:19 PM
Post #165

Clear this morning...then puffy cumulus clouds coming in from the SW in the afternoon...light rain tonight...
Attached File  isawvcnepac.gif ( 640.83K ) Number of downloads: 0

...after the light rain showers overnight...it should begin to be the beginning of a several day dry period...
OPC 48hr:
Attached File  P_48hrsfc.gif ( 281.17K ) Number of downloads: 0

...not really sure the HP will push back as strongly as predicted...next week may turn out to be wet by Tuesday...

--------------------

- Max Planck

+Quote Post
idecline
post Apr 21 2017, 07:44 PM
Post #166

Next weeks QPF's...close calls and severe in the center of the CONUS
Attached File  p168i.gif ( 48.29K ) Number of downloads: 0

Wonderful day...highs in the 70's and 80's in warmer sections of the Bay Area...cooler tomorrow then...
Attached File  isawvcnepac.gif ( 705.32K ) Number of downloads: 0

...looks like a 'real' ridge building in...just wondering on orientation again...the jet has made everything oblong this winter and spring... huh.gif

48hr OPC shows front coming through...perhaps mostly dry...and a possibility for rain next week...?
Attached File  P_48hrsfc.gif ( 281.41K ) Number of downloads: 0

...in a strange year...what else can you do but sing..."People are Strange"...(and so is the weather... dry.gif )

El-Lipsis weather signing off...and my take on the ENSO possibilities and update on 1st Atlantic tropical system of the year...

This post has been edited by idecline: Apr 21 2017, 07:48 PM

--------------------

- Max Planck

+Quote Post
idecline
post Apr 24 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #167

Windy and mild all day Sunday...persistent north wind was the precursor to...another failing ridge... dry.gif
Attached File  isawvcnepac.gif ( 644.87K ) Number of downloads: 0

Cloudy all day on Monday with a hint of rain in the air...possible light precipitation overnight and Tuesday...
OPC Pacific 48hr:
Attached File  P_48hrsfc.gif ( 260.51K ) Number of downloads: 0

...cannot seem to trust any of these 'laydown' high pressure systems...as the jet flows up and over...
96hr OPC:
Attached File  P_96hrsfc.gif ( 280.47K ) Number of downloads: 0

...will the high pressure resist...will rain continue to fall every few days...will this pattern last into May?...

RRWT may be 'in a groove'...especially with cold air still bottled up in the far north...

'El-Lipsis' weather is keeping the RRWT(Recurring Rossby Wave Train) and the strong jet as the Idée Fixe unsure.gif

Idée fixe, ( French: “fixed idea”) in music and literature, a recurring theme or character trait that serves as the structural foundation of a work.

--------------------

- Max Planck

+Quote Post
idecline
post Apr 26 2017, 06:34 PM
Post #168

Hello...Western Ridge calling...? dry.gif

Attached File  isawvcnepac.gif ( 682.66K ) Number of downloads: 0

rolleyes.gif ...just sayin' that this ridge seems to be orientated E/W again...and too far West...

48 hr surface OPC shows more "over the top of the 'dirty' ridge" behavior...with brisk winds from the north
Attached File  P_48hrsfc.gif ( 283.01K ) Number of downloads: 0

...but is a pattern change imminent...? ...96hr OPC shows perhaps a 'Kona Low' forming N of Hawaii...
Attached File  P_96hrsfc.gif ( 259.82K ) Number of downloads: 0

...this may finally 'tilt' the ridge more upright...as the upper air 96hr OPC 500mb shows more 'blocking'
Attached File  P_96hr500.gif ( 247.96K ) Number of downloads: 0

...which would eventually coincide with more 'waviness' in the atmosphere and jet stream...

...especially over the central CONUS...where it looks to be a battle...cold air to the N...warm to the S...

...check your local RRWT or 'organic' type of long term output... cool.gif

This post has been edited by idecline: Apr 26 2017, 06:41 PM

--------------------

- Max Planck

+Quote Post
idecline
post Apr 28 2017, 04:18 PM
Post #169

So this is the example of our High Pressure ridges...?
Attached File  isawvcnepac.gif ( 666.07K ) Number of downloads: 0

rolleyes.gif ...looks like it too is being pushed west(?) by the jet stream...lots of overrunning high clouds...

...breezy winds from the the N/NW...but will the ridge build in like climatology would say for April...?

OPC 48hr surface:
Attached File  P_48hrsfc.gif ( 274.24K ) Number of downloads: 0

...we here at 'El-Lipsis' weather are highly skeptical of any ridges building...due to the recent pattern...

Fair weather ahead ? ...too much discrepancy between "what is" and "what it should be"...

"Not Gonna Do It"..."Wouldn't be prudent"... laugh.gif

This post has been edited by idecline: Apr 28 2017, 04:19 PM

--------------------

- Max Planck

+Quote Post
idecline
post May 3 2017, 08:43 PM
Post #170

High temperatures were in the 80's and 90's this week...as high pressure had a good run...now...?
Attached File  isawvcnepac.gif ( 707.22K ) Number of downloads: 0

...a weakness is beginning to form in the strength of the high...cool north flow will meet up with some southern moisture by this weekend...possibly bringing thunderstorms?...and perhaps a cut-off low off SoCal
Attached File  P_24hrsfc.gif ( 209.02K ) Number of downloads: 0

...the OPC Pacific 24hr shows...thunderstorms offshore to the north...

48hr OPC:
Attached File  P_48hrsfc.gif ( 269.21K ) Number of downloads: 0

rolleyes.gif ...El-Lipsis weather can only ask...what now?...in this wacky weather year...

--------------------

- Max Planck

+Quote Post
idecline
post May 5 2017, 07:17 PM
Post #171

Heat wave is over!

Cooler weather and fog began this weekend..Cinco de Mayo...Mucho Bueno! laugh.gif

Attached File  isawvcnepac.gif ( 714.34K ) Number of downloads: 0

...a weak cold front is draped across the area...with strong high pressure creating a very steep gradient...

...cool winds and a chance for unsettled weather tomorrow...and then a very active coastline...
OPC 96hr:
Attached File  P_96hrsfc.gif ( 269.32K ) Number of downloads: 0

...cooler conditions and more of a fog intrusion this week as a trough lingers along the coast...with our weak high pressure regime...(exception: last few days heatwave_off-shore flow)...it may rain? later this week... unsure.gif

--------------------

- Max Planck

+Quote Post
idecline
post May 8 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #172

Okay...it has been windy, warm inland and cool along the coast...Normal Spring?... unsure.gif
Attached File  isawvcnepac.gif ( 615.51K ) Number of downloads: 0

'El-Lipsis' weather has a possible hiccup in the high pressure system(s) predicted for this week...
We are omitting the long-winded 'explanation' for this 'possible forecast'...but the anomalous SoCal low was spot on...
It looks as if a tropical version of zonal flow will try to ride the jet into our area...with slight amounts of precipitation for later this week...this is based on the recent 'weakness' and E-W orientation of the high pressure off the California coast...especially the 'upper air' ridging...

48hr OPC surface:
Attached File  P_48hrsfc.gif ( 262.13K ) Number of downloads: 0

...looks to be the beginning of the undermining of the high pressure ridge by Wednesday...with an interesting look by Friday morning...
96hr OPC:
Attached File  P_96hrsfc.gif ( 277.8K ) Number of downloads: 0

...this looks like a front will be draped across the area...any convective clouds(it is May!) could generate
instability showers (if El-Lipsis is not mistaken dry.gif )...

and 96hr OPC upper air seems to show a large trough digging into the CWA...
Attached File  P_96hr500.gif ( 247.96K ) Number of downloads: 0

...let's hope 'climatology' wins over 'what our eyes are telling us'... laugh.gif

Warning: 'El-Lipsis' weather takes no responsibility for being wrong or obtuse about our forecasts...

This post has been edited by idecline: May 8 2017, 05:57 PM

--------------------

- Max Planck

+Quote Post
idecline
post May 10 2017, 08:32 PM
Post #173

Hi...right in time for the 'Ides of March'...whoops...the 'Ides of May'...here comes a trough digging down the coast...
Attached File  isawvcnepac.gif ( 638.88K ) Number of downloads: 0

...what is it doing here?...and why?...
rolleyes.gif
...windy, unsettled mild weather for the next few days as this system and trough lingers...
OPC 96hr:
Attached File  P_96hrsfc.gif ( 259.43K ) Number of downloads: 0

...not necessarily a lot of precipitation...nevertheless...it will not be warm as last week's heatwave...

...and the giant Pacific high (1036mb)...is still positioned about 250 miles west of 'normalcy'... dry.gif

This post has been edited by idecline: May 10 2017, 08:33 PM

--------------------

- Max Planck

+Quote Post
idecline
post May 15 2017, 08:45 PM
Post #174

The unseasonably chilly weather and strong NW flow continue as the trough to our north digs down...
Attached File  isawvcnepac.gif ( 601.47K ) Number of downloads: 0

...look for possible instability showers in far Northern California...with perhaps gale force winds along the coast...colder air will settle over our area through mid-week...as the trough slowly moves east...then NE flow will keep us in cooler air until the weekend when a large warm high should build in... dry.gif

OPC 24hr:
Attached File  P_24hrsfc.gif ( 217.03K ) Number of downloads: 0

...the warmth should be most notable towards central California into the Desert Southwest...OPC still has large unseasonable low pressure systems riding the jet stream across the Pacific Ocean..."waviness" wink.gif

OPC 96hr:
Attached File  P_96hrsfc.gif ( 256.2K ) Number of downloads: 0

...updates soon...as sever weather sets up in the lower/central Plains this week...more energy injected later this week into the middle of next week...keep your hat on....

--------------------

- Max Planck

+Quote Post
idecline
post May 19 2017, 05:51 PM
Post #175

Warm to hot over the Bay Area into the weekend...a high pressure has nosed into our area...warm & windy
Attached File  isawvcnepac.gif ( 721.63K ) Number of downloads: 0

...the high is keeping cooler air away...still...'El-Lipsis" says "Do not let down your guard"...a ~981mb low is lurking out in the Pacific...(the green and yellow 'swirly thing below the Aleutians... dry.gif

...cooling later in the weekend into next week...and the 96hr OPC shows the unseasonable LP perhaps...
OPC 96hr:
Attached File  P_96hrsfc.gif ( 271.55K ) Number of downloads: 0

...perhaps it can even make headway into our area...bringing maybe even unsettled weather

--------------------

- Max Planck

+Quote Post
idecline
post May 22 2017, 08:22 PM
Post #176

The heat wave continued inland today...the coastal and bay-side regions have cooled considerably...
Attached File  isawvcnepac.gif ( 734.64K ) Number of downloads: 0

...the storm track is well to the north...with low pressure troughs riding on the underside of a NW ridge...

...the map from OPC gives the appearance of California soon being under a more sub-tropical feel...
...would you believe a mini-'ring of fire' outbreak of thunderstorms later this week...only time will tell...
rolleyes.gif ...or maybe we here at El-Lipsis weather are already bored with the beginning of the 'doldrums'...
OPC 24hr upper air (500mb):
Attached File  P_24hr500.gif ( 248.88K ) Number of downloads: 0

...this map looks highly suspicious to us 'Native' Californians...and the 48hr surface map... unsure.gif Attached File  P_48hrsfc.gif ( 268.51K ) Number of downloads: 0

...in an 'unusual' weather year...who's to say the active Eastern Pacific won't send 'monsoon' weather into California?...
Attached File  color_newdisp_anomaly_global_lat_lon_ophi0.png ( 424.54K ) Number of downloads: 0

...warm waters everywhere...well...at least a large amount off the California coast

--------------------

- Max Planck

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017 - 04:35 AM