Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Topical Storms/Hurricane have you experienced?, Have you been in the face of tropical weather- tell your story!
tdp146
post May 2 2008, 12:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
From: South Shore of Long Island about 20 miles east of NYC
Member No.: 11,969

After hearing paps story on the other thread about experiencing Hurricane Hugo in 1989, I thought I would open up a thread to discuss our own personal tropical 'storm stories.' Since the season still has a month before it is underway, I think this would be a good thread to get some traffic over to the tropical board..

I have been through 3 storms of note..

1. Hurricane Gloria on Long Island in August of 1985. Ok so I was only 9 months old, but I like to think this is the reason I became fascinated with tropical weather. The eye of the storm literally went over my house and my parents remember taking me outside in the calm eye and all the neighbors came out quickly to check on one another before the backside of the storm came through. I think overall that storm spared the Island. Gloria weakened to a Cat 1 (although with fast forward motion it is still considered a Cat 2) and came in at low tide.

2. Hurricane Bob, Long Island in August 1991. I was still fairly young but remeber the rain blowing down my block in giant sheets all afternoon. Afterwards, my town was a mess with tree limbs down on nearly every other block. However, this storm actually only brought tropical storm force winds to my area while eastern LI and RI took the direct hit.

3. Hurricane Charlie, Florida August 2004. I was actually on the EAST coast of Florida and thankfully not on the west coast where the storm came in from the Gulf. Even still, the strom was still quite strong for having trekked the entire state of Florida. I recall watching transformers explode from the window of my hotel. It would come in spurts of 3 or 4 and looked like bombs going off in the distance. The next day we drove to Orlando which was much harder hit. Trees along the roadways were snapped everywhere you looked. Debris was laying across homes and in the streets (even in Disney!). And gaint billboards were torn to shreds along the major roads.

please share your experience!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hurricaneman
post May 2 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,548

Hurricane Bob was the one I remember most, Its not very often that you have winds over 100 mph in eastern Massachusetts

+Quote Post
Evanswood
post May 3 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 14,741

I live in the heart (there's a few hearts) of the Gulf storms here in the panhandle of FLA! I've run from Ivan and Dennis while living here. From Emily '85 in central FL I love it! But have never experienced the ruin a storm can leave personally. DH is retired USN and has been forefront of a few biggies.
I respect the storms but equally in awe of the furosity!

--------------------
From the Panhandle of Florida, near the best beaches in the world

+Quote Post
Sagebrusher
post May 7 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #4

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 2,132

Here in Iowa the only storm I have experienced was Gilbert in '88. It was still a tropical depression.

+Quote Post
MAG5035
post May 7 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,487

Central PA gets run over by the remnants of a tropical storm or hurricane every once in awhile, so i've experienced a few systems.

Isabel in 2003 was the first and only time i've seen our region in an "inland tropical storm wind warning" and actually canceled all area schools for that friday. Our school had homecoming that week and got the bright idea to have the football game and homecoming a day early, so when isabel came roaring up the coast... it struck here just in time for the game making for a very windy and rainy time. Then at about 2:30 in the morning a storm associated with one of the bands came through with two huge wind gusts knocked trees over the local road and also took the power out for a whole day.

The remnants of Frances and Ivan in 2004 hit one week apart and caused some of the worst flooding this part of PA has seen since Agnes in 1972.. and in some cases worse. You can still see along the Little Juniata River sections where the floodwaters toppled all the trees along the bank.

--------------------
Michael Glunt
PSU grad
B.S Meteorology/GIS minor

MLWX Forecasting
forecasts by MAG5035 and LoganTyler

+Quote Post
tdp146
post May 7 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #6

From: South Shore of Long Island about 20 miles east of NYC
Member No.: 11,969

I actually remember those events as well. Isabell was my freshman year at Penn State and in true penn state fashion we had a party and drank 'Hurricanes' of course. Isabel was a very impressive category 5 storm at one point. ended up weakening to a 2 before landfall. made a mess of the PSU capmus as well.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
windman
post Jun 8 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #7

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,928

I remember Bertha affecting NYC back in 1996... I was only 8 at the time, and i went out with my dad to get the paper that morning and i got stuck in the middle of the street when the wind caught my umbrella... laugh.gif We had gusts up to about 45 mph with that storm... Possibly a little higher because one of the stores a few blocks away had the awning ripped off... Also had a few big trees come down.

Floyd in 1999 actually hit the metro harder than Bertha did, but for some reason i don't remember much from that storm. All i remember was that school was cancelled that day... tongue.gif

More recently, we had Isabel in 2003... I was up all night watching that one... Gusts up to 55 mph... Some trees & branches down in the area, but nothing too bad considering the long duration & strength of the winds.

Also the remnants of Ernesto in 2006 were pretty impressive with gusts up to 50 mph... Had a large tree uproot onto a house on the next block...

Still waiting for "the big one" though... I think it's only a matter of time...

+Quote Post
Rbrtkln
post Jul 8 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,261

Gloria in 1983? or was it 1985? Anyway I was a kid and spent the entire time watching out my window. Saw a tree come down and poke a hole in my neighbor's roof. This was in Bergen County a good distance away from where she made landfall.

Floyd in 1999. Wasn't as bad along the NJ coast as it was inland with the rain, but still pretty bad.

Isabel in 2003. Before it made landfall it was forecast to possibly hit the NYC metro area, just as my wife was about to give birth to our daughter. Had it hit us, we would have named her Isabel laugh.gif . As is, it didn't even rain, but we kept a newspaper the day she was born that had the headline "Here she comes" laugh.gif

--------------------
My Winter 08/09 Snow Tally: 29.1"...............My Winter 09/10 Snow Tally: 56.5"
My Winter 10/11 Snow Tally: 54.8"...............My Winter 11/12 Snow Tally: 5.7"
My Winter 12/13 Snow Tally: 20.9"...............My Winter 13/14 Snow Tally: 58.8"
My Winter 14/15 Snow Tally: 46.0"...............My Winter 15/16 Snow Tally: 25.8"

My Winter 16/17 Snow Tally: 22.2"

12-17-16 - 2.0"
01-06-17 - 0.8"
01-07-17 - 7.0"
01-31-17 - 0.2"
02-09-17 - 5.0"
03-10-17 - 3.0"
03-14-17 - 4.0"
03-15-17 - 0.2"

Everything Else- The most fun you can have with your clothes on. For Real! Not kidding!

+Quote Post
I-95blizzard
post Jul 16 2008, 10:40 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,770

2003: Hurricane Isabel. I remember getting about 3 inches of rain and 60-mph wind gusts. We were under a tropical storm wind warning.

2004: Remnants of Ivan and Jeanne both brought lots of heavy rain and wind to the Northeast.

2005: Remnants of Hurricane Katrina gave us a rainstorm.

2006: Tropical Storm Ernesto. That one gave us about 6 inches of rain, and some strong wind gusts.

2007: Outer bands of Hurricane Noel. Does that count? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lead forecaster for Foot's Forecast SE PA Team
Follow my forecasts for eastern PA on Twitter and Facebook

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 08:50 AM