Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Solar Eclipse, August 21, 2017
happyff
post Aug 26 2017, 01:48 PM
Post #21

Group: Member
Member No.: 20,453

QUOTE(MaineJay @ Aug 21 2017, 01:59 PM) *
That bites sad.gif , hope you get a glimpse
I hear you cannot compare totality to anything else... smile.gif I'll be driving to see totality in 2024 for sure!

Man, I wish I saw this thread earlier...

You are correct, Totality is ONE MILLION times more Awesome than 99%.

My 12 yr old daughter and I went to SC and were fortunate enough to see it. My only regret is that everybody I know wasn't right beside me. In 2024, it is something you must see, at any cost.

After Totality ended, everybody got in there car and left. There was still an hour plus of the partial left, but it just did not remotely compare to totality.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MaineJay
post Aug 28 2017, 04:58 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 28,288

QUOTE(happyff @ Aug 26 2017, 02:48 PM) *
Man, I wish I saw this thread earlier...

You are correct, Totality is ONE MILLION times more Awesome than 99%.

My 12 yr old daughter and I went to SC and were fortunate enough to see it. My only regret is that everybody I know wasn't right beside me. In 2024, it is something you must see, at any cost.

After Totality ended, everybody got in there car and left. There was still an hour plus of the partial left, but it just did not remotely compare to totality.

That's awesome that you and you daughter were able to experience totality. smile.gif

I believe for any one location the return interval for a total soar eclipse is on the order of 375 years. I think Carbondale, Illinois was in the path this time, and will be again on April 8, 2024.

The 2024 eclipse totality goes through Maine. My dream would be to climb Katahdin and watch from the as it's on the centerline of the path, but that's a very difficult hike in April, more like ice climbing. But making it to chimney pond might not be so bad. My daughter will only be 7 at that time, so I'm going to find a better alternative and attempt to convince others to make a short journey.

--------------------
The Solar Eclipse is coming!! Thread

"z = z2 + c" - Benoit Mandelbrot

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
Gnutella
post Sep 5 2017, 05:26 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 20,211

I traveled to Cape Girardeau, MO to see the eclipse. During the totality, the horizon looked like a 360-degree twilight. It was surreal. The street lights turned on about five minutes before the totality, and motorists on I-55 had to turn on their headlights. MoDOT also had several electronic signs on I-55 and U.S. 60 with messages warning motorists of the eclipse within 24 hours of the event. It was neat.

I'll be back in Cape Girardeau on April 8, 2024 so I can say that I've seen two different total solar eclipses from the same exact point on planet earth (weather permitting). smile.gif

This post has been edited by Gnutella: Sep 5 2017, 05:28 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2017 - 05:32 PM