Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com
We have updated our Privacy Policy and our Cookie Policy effective May 25, 2018. Please review them.
X

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

47 Pages V  « < 45 46 47  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dec. 22-25 S.ON, S.Que Storm
GreatWhiteTornad...
post Dec 23 2013, 09:46 AM
Post #921

Group: Member
Member No.: 28,279

Attached File  BcJUQlFCEAAKhay.jpeg ( 46.1K ) Number of downloads: 12

This picture vaughanweather posted on the onstorm twitter feed
I was shocked and had to share what was on there
Great picture very sad situation
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HoBOonFiRE
post Dec 23 2013, 12:44 PM
Post #922

Member No.: 24,813

Power has returned. 38 hours it lasted..I'm not getting ready to celebrate yet, I'm still hearing outages being reported across the city still. My backyard is a disaster with trees constantly buckling under the weight. What an eerie feeling listening to them snap and crash to the ground the last 2 nights

+Quote Post
Torontoweather
post Dec 23 2013, 05:33 PM
Post #923

Member No.: 19,500

Hey everyone. Really bad situation in Toronto right now, particularly north of St. Clair and on the side streets where there are lots of trees in close proximity to wires. The power at my house has been off now for 39 hours and continues to be off. My family and I have moved into my aunt and uncles home (which is south of St. Clair) which has power. Ironically, other extended family members are here as well. We will definitely be spending the night here, and had to empty the radiators and pipes so they don't freeze. I've taken many awesome, yet scary pictures, and will try to post over the next couple of days. There are people worse off than my family and I though, we have been pretty lucky considering. What is also weird is that I am close to Yonge, and Yonge has power in general between Wilson and Eglinton, but when you look west at the side streets complete blackness. In other words, two different worlds, pretty eerie stuff.

Anyways, it's certainly been an experience, an amazing one meteorologically and historically speaking, but pretty scary in all other senses. Stay safe everyone and hope to be up and tracking soon enough!

--------------------
McGill University graduate in Atmospheric Science. Class of 2017.

When feeling lost, follow the path of strongest warm air advection ;)

+Quote Post
plowguy
post Dec 23 2013, 05:54 PM
Post #924

Member No.: 17,615

QUOTE(Torontoweather @ Dec 23 2013, 05:33 PM) *
Hey everyone. Really bad situation in Toronto right now, particularly north of St. Clair and on the side streets where there are lots of trees in close proximity to wires. The power at my house has been off now for 39 hours and continues to be off. My family and I have moved into my aunt and uncles home (which is south of St. Clair) which has power. Ironically, other extended family members are here as well. We will definitely be spending the night here, and had to empty the radiators and pipes so they don't freeze. I've taken many awesome, yet scary pictures, and will try to post over the next couple of days. There are people worse off than my family and I though, we have been pretty lucky considering. What is also weird is that I am close to Yonge, and Yonge has power in general between Wilson and Eglinton, but when you look west at the side streets complete blackness. In other words, two different worlds, pretty eerie stuff.

Anyways, it's certainly been an experience, an amazing one meteorologically and historically speaking, but pretty scary in all other senses. Stay safe everyone and hope to be up and tracking soon enough!

Glad your safe

+Quote Post
Canuk
post Dec 23 2013, 06:50 PM
Post #925

Member No.: 12,906

Hello everyone. My thoughts are with everyone affected with the ice storm. Coming back to the city tonight for Christmas and work I could see some of the damage.
Up north we had mostly all snow mixed with snow gains and some freezing rain. I did not measure but I believe we received approx. 12cm.
The pics thru the weekend were great but sad.
Take care be safe and warm people.

+Quote Post
GreatWhiteTornad...
post Dec 23 2013, 11:52 PM
Post #926

Member No.: 28,279

At Rutherford and Islington there are side streets that it looks like a tornado went through
Very brutal and amazing how many trees are damaged.
I would estimate 25-30 percent of all trees took damage.
We have over 300 my guess at our building and every single one of them is bent totally over
Something like you would see in a war.
It is going to take years to cover the scars in some neighborhoods.
I will attempt to get daylight pictures tomorrow
I have night ones and they are not clear
Amazing more people were not hurt.
Almost seemed like some of the houses deflected the trees

+Quote Post
Lake effect
post Dec 24 2013, 04:35 AM
Post #927

Member No.: 27,345

That is so sad to hear. It's amazing and great news that no one has been killed by this storm (yet...people -power and-20 not good), but trees make a neighbourhood, and this is a great loss.

Does anyone know what has happened in Barrie, it says they got 20 mm of freezing rain, but the local paper is not reporting power outages or much damage. Hoping I won't go back to burst pipes...I shut the water off, but didn't drain the system.

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Dec 24 2013, 07:44 AM
Post #928

Member No.: 23,784

EC - http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=son

Colder temperatures with northwesterly winds 20 km/h today.

The ice left behind from the ice storm of last weekend combined with a return to well below freezing temperatures and moderate northwesterly winds will still cause considerable impact for these regions for the next few days. There is the potential that more of the ice covered tree branches will fall due to the moderate winds expected today.

Temperatures have fallen well below freezing as expected this morning and will drop off further tonight to near minus 15 across many of the regions tonight. Niagara will be a few degrees higher, but northern and eastern parts of the Greater Toronto area will dip to near minus 18 tonight. Overnight low temperatures of minus 20 to minus 25 are expected from about Port Hope and Peterborough east to Cornwall. Temperatures will remain well below freezing on Christmas day.

To those who are still without power due to continued challenges in getting the hydro lines up and running it is advised to seek warm shelter and prepare for the colder than average temperatures that are expected.

Furthermore, given the well below freezing temperatures, much of the ice will not melt and will likely remain on many surfaces through Christmas and boxing day until the end of the week.

+Quote Post
snowgeek93
post Dec 24 2013, 10:20 AM
Post #929

Member No.: 19,154

Just got my power back after 60 hours of darkness. Just a horrible storm here. Never seen anything like this in my life. Just so much damage to trees and infrastructure in my area. At least my snow pack survived though.

--------------------
Thornhill, Ontario Snowfall (Buttonville Airport):

2017/2018: 151.5cm (Weak La Nina)
2016/2017: 142.6cm (Weak La Nina)
2015/2016: 96.4cm (Strong El Nino)
2014/2015: 118.7cm (Weak El Nino)
2013/2014: 184.8cm (Neutral)
2012/2013: 151.6cm (Neutral)
2011/2012: 99.9cm (Weak La Nina)
2010/2011: 168.1cm (Moderate La Nina)
2009/2010: 71.3cm (Moderate El Nino)
2008/2009: 253cm (Weak La Nina)
2007/2008: 251.6cm (Moderate La Nina)

+Quote Post
Ryan45
post Dec 24 2013, 02:39 PM
Post #930

Member No.: 21,757

Estimated power restoration time in country area Burlington is tomorrow 12pm.

--------------------
Join the Observations/Livestream Facebook Group for updated LIVE Observations during storms!

+Quote Post
SmoothTofu
post Dec 24 2013, 04:08 PM
Post #931

Member No.: 28,246

Here are some pictures after the storm in Brampton. Our street suffered heavy tree damage; thankfully we never lost power.

+Quote Post
SmoothTofu
post Dec 24 2013, 04:08 PM
Post #932

Member No.: 28,246

+Quote Post
gurtej101
post Dec 24 2013, 05:40 PM
Post #933

Member No.: 23,423

QUOTE(SmoothTofu @ Dec 24 2013, 04:08 PM) *

i didnt lose any power either luckily !

+Quote Post
barrieON
post Dec 24 2013, 06:52 PM
Post #934

Member No.: 12,910

QUOTE(Lake effect @ Dec 24 2013, 04:35 AM) *
That is so sad to hear. It's amazing and great news that no one has been killed by this storm (yet...people -power and-20 not good), but trees make a neighbourhood, and this is a great loss.

Does anyone know what has happened in Barrie, it says they got 20 mm of freezing rain, but the local paper is not reporting power outages or much damage. Hoping I won't go back to burst pipes...I shut the water off, but didn't drain the system.

We did get the freezing rain, but what mostly fell was a mix of snow and ice pellets. No outages or reports of significant damage, trees or otherwise. Your home should be ok.

+Quote Post
Torontoweather
post Dec 24 2013, 10:30 PM
Post #935

Still without power another night staying with aunt and uncle rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bigmt
post Dec 25 2013, 05:33 AM
Post #936

Member No.: 23,784

QUOTE(Torontoweather @ Dec 24 2013, 10:30 PM) *
Still without power another night staying with aunt and uncle rolleyes.gif

Hopefully you can get home within the next couple of days, officials are aiming for the majority of those remaining without power to have it restored by the weekend.

+Quote Post
Torontoweather
post Dec 25 2013, 05:32 PM
Post #937

QUOTE(bigmt @ Dec 25 2013, 05:33 AM) *
Hopefully you can get home within the next couple of days, officials are aiming for the majority of those remaining without power to have it restored by the weekend.

Power back! Got it back this morning which put total time without power at around 75 hours or so. Glad to be back home, but was certainly very lucky we had relatives with power and welcoming to us.

--------------------

+Quote Post
HoBOonFiRE
post Apr 14 2018, 12:56 PM
Post #938

Member No.: 24,813

Thought I would bump this thread to look back at and compare to today and tomorrow's event.

+Quote Post
rjb
post Apr 14 2018, 04:54 PM
Post #939

Member No.: 29,482

QUOTE(HoBOonFiRE @ Apr 14 2018, 01:56 PM) *
Thought I would bump this thread to look back at and compare to today and tomorrow's event.

for what I know, ZR totals in the GTA will be considerably less than in the 2013 storm.

However, the 2013 storm affected only the GTA and a little more while the current storm affects nearly all of Southern Ontario.

On the positive side, today and tomorrow's storm is in April, which means that people won't be freezing overnight if they lose power and the April sun (when it eventually shows its face) will help melt the ice.

In 2013 there was a massive drop in temperature after the storm and it caused many people to take desperate measure to try to warm up.

+Quote Post

47 Pages V  « < 45 46 47
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2018 - 02:04 PM