Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> October 4, 1987 Heavy Wet Snowstorm
hugehail
post Mar 7 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 22,249

I am currently creating a web page on the October 4, 1987 heavy wet snowstorm that affected NY/MA/CT and VT. The snow totals for this storm were really not documented very well. I am contacting local historians, newspapers, libraries and other sources to help augment the previous storm documentation. Totals were dramatically underdone across southeastern NY including Dutchess, Putnam and Westchester counties. I will also include a meteorological study of the event with surface and 500mb loops. I plan to dispute the notion that cooling from the melting of snowflakes was the primary reason why rain changed to snow(There was cold/dry advection and wet bulbing). Also, I dont think the liquid ratios were 3.5 to 1. Lots of melting was occurring as the snow was falling (from underneath), especially since heavy rains occurred before the storm. This resulted in slush beneath a layer of snow. Places reporting 22" of snow probably had more like 28" of snowfall. Liquid ratios are always tough to calculate. In the plains they tend to be overestimated since it is hard to catch precip that is falling almost horizontally. But they tend to be underestimated with the heavy wet snows on the east coast due to melting, warm ground, settling and previous rains.

Your help in documenting this rare storm would be greatly appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_TNsnowgoose_*
post Mar 23 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #2

Guests

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_TNsnowgoose_*
post Mar 23 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #3

Guests

This is the most in depth study that I have seen of this storm.http://ams.allenpress.com/archive/1520-049...119-12-2831.pdf

+Quote Post
4Oct1987
post Feb 14 2014, 10:04 AM
Post #4

Group: Member
Member No.: 29,240

I chose my screen name based on my favorite weather event that I experienced - and here's a thread about it. No one's looked at it in a while but I'll relate my experience.

I was 15; my family and I lived in Poestenkill in central Rensselaer County NY. near 42d41'N, 73d28'W, elevation about 1400'.

I went to bed having heard forecasters mention a chance of "flurries", and woke up to 21 inches of the heaviest, wettest snow imaginable (that was a post-event yardstick measurement).

I recall that Columbia County, just to the south, was entirely shut down - they didn't want anybody going anywhere and nobody could anyway. With leaves still on the trees the damage was astounding. Our power was out from Sunday to Wednesday and school was closed for the entire week.

I still have a little bit of trouble reading through the history of this storm and figuring out exactly what happened. I'm spoiled with the quality of maps/radar/satellite imagery today and it'd be nice to have all that for this storm. I have experienced bigger storms (24" up there from the '93 superstorm, and 31" near Philly, Jan 96) but due to the surprise factor this one's at the top.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2017 - 10:08 AM