Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Radar Anomalies, Catch NEXRAD doing something funny? Post here.
WeatherMatrix
post Jan 21 2009, 01:15 PM
Post #1

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

I'll start us out. Like the Chicago NEXRAD did last summer, the Fresno radar is detecting cars on the highway today. I assume this because

1.) The echoes are only along the highway and
2.) The echoes don't move over time.

Here are a couple of shots, and there are some movies here (right-click/Save As required for IE).

Attached File  radanom1_21_2009_1_13_02_PM.png ( 46.69K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  radanom1_21_2009_1_13_18_PM.png ( 39.78K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  inxr1kfata121a.gif ( 220.3K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  inxv1kfata121b.gif ( 224.69K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AnthonyS
post Jan 22 2009, 11:06 AM
Post #2

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,182

I've never seen this one before -- very interesting.

Anthony

--------------------

+Quote Post
SEMIweather
post Jan 22 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #3

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,772

Never heard of this before, just read your blog entry on this Jesse, interesting stuff!

--------------------
University of Oklahoma Meteorology Major - Class of 2014

Follow me on Twitter.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_Bl1zzard_*
post Jan 22 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #4

Guests

It could be picking up the water being sprayed up by cars. The highways it's present on here clearly just had heavy rain go over them. It wouldn't necessarily account for the strong returns, but it would make sense for there to be some returns.

+Quote Post
SEMIweather
post Jan 22 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #5

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,772

QUOTE(Bl1zzard @ Jan 22 2009, 12:29 PM) *
It could be picking up the water being sprayed up by cars. The highways it's present on here clearly just had heavy rain go over them. It wouldn't necessarily account for the strong returns, but it would make sense for there to be some returns.

Hmm...good thought Bl1zzard, definitely believable. cool.gif

--------------------
University of Oklahoma Meteorology Major - Class of 2014

Follow me on Twitter.

+Quote Post
AnthonyS
post Jan 22 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #6

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,182

QUOTE(Bl1zzard @ Jan 22 2009, 12:29 PM) *

Looking at the velocity imagery reveals two items of interest: stationary and non-stationary returns along Interstate 5.

After looking at Google Earth for the better part of an hour, it seems that the areas of higher reflectivity, which correspond to the stationary returns, are associated with large elevated objects such as overpasses, silos, etc. along I-5 (looks like a beautiful stretch to drive, by the way).

The radar is likely not picking up spray along the roads because the drop sizes are too small, and too low to the ground. Coincidentally, part of this is also the reason why the cars have low reflectivity; i.e., cars are large objects, but near the ground, so the beam returns only a slight echo.

There was probably an inversion in the Fresno Valley, which caused the HNX radar to bend back to the ground and reflect the objects along the fairly isolated interstate. If you look at the imagery, the cars, overpasses, etc. are not the only things being reflected. There are houses, buildings, hills, mnts, all sorts of things. I-5 sticks out because, again, it is fairly isolated.

Anthony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_Bl1zzard_*
post Jan 22 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE(AnthonyS @ Jan 22 2009, 03:41 PM) *
Looking at the velocity imagery reveals two items of interest: stationary and non-stationary returns along Interstate 5.

After looking at Google Earth for the better part of an hour, it seems that the areas of higher reflectivity, which correspond to the stationary returns, are associated with large elevated objects such as overpasses, silos, etc. along I-5 (looks like a beautiful stretch to drive, by the way).

The radar is likely not picking up spray along the roads because the drop sizes are too small, and too low to the ground. Coincidentally, part of this is also the reason why the cars have low reflectivity; i.e., cars are large objects, but near the ground, so the beam returns only a slight echo.

There was probably an inversion in the Fresno Valley, which caused the HNX radar to bend back to the ground and reflect the objects along the fairly isolated interstate. If you look at the imagery, the cars, overpasses, etc. are not the only things being reflected. There are houses, buildings, hills, mnts, all sorts of things. I-5 sticks out because, again, it is fairly isolated.

Anthony

Fair enough.

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Jan 23 2009, 01:27 PM
Post #8

Admin

QUOTE(AnthonyS @ Jan 22 2009, 03:41 PM) *

Anthony

That's a definite, because normally NEXRAD beam would be higher than city buildings, much less cars. But why would it reflect off the interstate (or objects near it) and not the ground itself, which you often see it doing with high dBZ anomalous propagation (even at flat places like the coast)?

--------------------

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Jan 23 2009, 01:36 PM
Post #9

Admin

Spikes appeared on several NEXRADS in the Plains today around 1 PM, at one point three radars were contributing spikes, see images below. Normally spikes only occur at sunrise or sunset, but other reflections or software issues can cause them to happen at any time.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  anomaly1_23_2009_1_42_49_PM.png ( 124.54K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  inxrekddca123a.gif ( 187.57K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  inxrekhsia123b.gif ( 268.07K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  inxrekmkca123a.gif ( 193.67K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------

+Quote Post
futureweatherman...
post May 2 2009, 04:07 PM
Post #10

Group: Member
Member No.: 15,447

Something odd happened today with TDWR tower at the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Base Velocity 3 scans over an area of light rain skyrocketed to the 100s, both towards and away from the radar site. The next scan returned normal again:

Attached File  Radar_spaz.png ( 322.64K ) Number of downloads: 0

You can clearly see the "spaz" in one area.

Attached File  Radar_spaz2.png ( 419.58K ) Number of downloads: 0

The next image appears normal.

Attached File  Radar_spaz3.png ( 309.5K ) Number of downloads: 0

Then the next frame, you see the spike again

Attached File  Spaz.png ( 466.04K ) Number of downloads: 0

And there were multiple spikes for the next few scans

This post has been edited by futureweatherman12: May 2 2009, 04:17 PM

--------------------

QUOTE(SEMIweather @ Oct 17 2010, 02:10 AM) *
i was lclicking on it going pelasejk not nicki minaj m-please not micni minaj hughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 01:04 PM