Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maw's Friday Questions Week 52, It's been a year folks!
Rukia
post Jan 23 2009, 05:19 PM
Post #21

Group: Member
Member No.: 15,643

QUOTE(Bl1zzard @ Jan 23 2009, 05:57 PM) *
The name is Ayn Rand. She happens to have a mild understanding of what happens to economies when they aren't free.

I meant to go back and fix that, but you cut me off at the pass.

I hate that woman. I only read her to make myself really, really angry.

XD

--------------------
It is easier to break away than to embrace.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bubbles
post Jan 24 2009, 03:36 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 15,013

QUOTE(Bangkok Jah @ Jan 23 2009, 03:02 PM) *
10. Do you like to look at your reflection in mirrors? And I guess, more importantly, do you have a reflection in mirrors?
Yup. I look at myself and say, "you *bleep* beast"... laugh.gif

rolleyes.gif A few people were actually discussing this very comment today tongue.gif lol

--------------------
Nobody enjoys a red X.

+Quote Post
randyfawn
post Jan 24 2009, 07:43 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 15,667

1. Imagine some random alien space-ship lands in your backyard. You have the opportunity to be the first human to speak with them. (For the sake of argument, assume you communicate with them telepathically and also that they look exactly like the aliens in Close Encounters, and also, they don’t seem to be hostile. Yet...) What would you ask them? Got room for one more?

2. If you could go anywhere on a date where would it be? (Particular restaurant, place…) Memphis in may, the music festival. or bonaroo in nashville. Or ozzfest.

3. What book, if any, has had the most impact on your life? I can read, and i do, but mostly news and short stories. I don't have the time to read a whole book. I usually only "read" technical manuals or drawings.
4. Do you collect anything from places you visit? If so, what? Sometimes, i know it may sound weird, but if theres an unusual rock or stone that 'speaks to me' ill pick it up.

5. What song stirs up the most emotion in you? Why? Into the mystic, van morrisson. Long story short, it just holds some special memories for me.

6. If you could give a single piece of advice to someone what would it be? Smile! People will wonder what your up to.

7. Which do you appreciate more, good lyrics or good music? Music no doubt. Like black label society 'fire it up' the lyrics don't mean anything, but the beat makes me have to bang my head.

8. Do your first impressions of people often turn out to be accurate? Undoubtedly almost never. I'm a bad judge of character. I trust people to much and therefore get burned alot. sad.gif

9. Would you prefer hiking through a mountain forest or strolling through the downtown of a big city (Barcelona for example)? I'll take the city. I pretty much live in the forest as it is..

10. Do you like to look at your reflection in mirrors? And I guess, more importantly, do you have a reflection in mirrors? When i brush my teeth. Honestly i've only seen the reflection with the lights on, so i dont know if its there in the dark? tongue.gif

--------------------
A single death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic-- "Big Joe" Stalin

+Quote Post
Rbrtkln
post Jan 24 2009, 08:14 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 12,261

1. Imagine some random alien space-ship lands in your backyard. You have the opportunity to be the first human to speak with them. (For the sake of argument, assume you communicate with them telepathically and also that they look exactly like the aliens in Close Encounters, and also, they don’t seem to be hostile. Yet...) What would you ask them? Are you here to greet me or eat me? laugh.gif

2. If you could go anywhere on a date where would it be? (Particular restaurant, place…) Peter Luger's in NYC. Heard a lot about it. Waiting list is like months long.

3. What book, if any, has had the most impact on your life? Don't do as much reading as I should and when I do, its mostly fiction, so I can't really come up with one.

4. Do you collect anything from places you visit? If so, what? Magnets

5. What song stirs up the most emotion in you? Why? Led Zeppelin's Hey Hey What Can I Do. Not real sure why other than it is a great tune but it stirs up the butterflies in my stomach.

6. If you could give a single piece of advice to someone what would it be? No matter how much certain things and occurrences knock you down in life, get the heck back up.

7. Which do you appreciate more, good lyrics or good music? Good music for sure.

8. Do your first impressions of people often turn out to be accurate? Usually yes, but I keep an open mind in case I am wrong.

9. Would you prefer hiking through a mountain forest or strolling through the downtown of a big city (Barcelona for example)? Probably City, although id appreciate both.

10. Do you like to look at your reflection in mirrors? And I guess, more importantly, do you have a reflection in mirrors? Yeah, but my face is red with horns coming out of my head. laugh.gif

--------------------
My Winter 08/09 Snow Tally: 29.1"
My Winter 09/10 Snow Tally: 56.5"
My Winter 10/11 Snow Tally: 54.8"
My Winter 11/12 Snow Tally: 5.7"
My Winter 12/13 Snow Tally: 20.9"
My Winter 13/14 Snow Tally: 58.8"

Everything Else- The most fun you can have with your clothes on. For Real! Not kidding!

+Quote Post
I-95blizzard
post Jan 24 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 13,770

1. Imagine some random alien space-ship lands in your backyard. You have the opportunity to be the first human to speak with them. (For the sake of argument, assume you communicate with them telepathically and also that they look exactly like the aliens in Close Encounters, and also, they don’t seem to be hostile. Yet...) What would you ask them? You mean aliens actually exist? blink.gif

2. If you could go anywhere on a date where would it be? (Particular restaurant, place…) My local brick oven pizza place

3. What book, if any, has had the most impact on your life? All the ones I've read for reports and gotten good grades on smile.gif

4. Do you collect anything from places you visit? If so, what? Seashells

5. What song stirs up the most emotion in you? Why? No idea.

6. If you could give a single piece of advice to someone what would it be? Try your hardest, never give up.

7. Which do you appreciate more, good lyrics or good music? Good music, I couldn't care less about the lyrics.

8. Do your first impressions of people often turn out to be accurate? 50% of the time, yes.

9. Would you prefer hiking through a mountain forest or strolling through the downtown of a big city (Barcelona for example)? Downtown of a big city

10. Do you like to look at your reflection in mirrors? And I guess, more importantly, do you have a reflection in mirrors? Yes, I like to make funny faces. tongue.gif

--------------------
Lead forecaster for Foot's Forecast SE PA Team
Follow my forecasts for eastern PA on Twitter and Facebook

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_Bl1zzard_*
post Jan 24 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #26

Guests

QUOTE(I-95blizzard @ Jan 24 2009, 11:41 AM) *
1. Imagine some random alien space-ship lands in your backyard. You have the opportunity to be the first human to speak with them. (For the sake of argument, assume you communicate with them telepathically and also that they look exactly like the aliens in Close Encounters, and also, they don’t seem to be hostile. Yet...) What would you ask them? You mean aliens actually exist? blink.gif

Yes, aliens exist. This was not a purely hypothetical situation. You better get your tin-foil hat out now. smile.gif

+Quote Post
robofishvselvis
post Jan 24 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 14,471

QUOTE(Bl1zzard @ Jan 24 2009, 12:23 PM) *
Yes, aliens exist. This was not a purely hypothetical situation. You better get your tin-foil hat out now. smile.gif

I want to believe

*cue x-files music*

--------------------
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.

-Douglas Adams

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jan 25 2009, 12:14 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 13,204

1. Imagine some random alien space-ship lands in your backyard. You have the opportunity to be the first human to speak with them. (For the sake of argument, assume you communicate with them telepathically and also that they look exactly like the aliens in Close Encounters, and also, they don’t seem to be hostile. Yet...) What would you ask them? Are you lost?

2. If you could go anywhere on a date where would it be? (Particular restaurant, place…)Ruth's Chris

3. What book, if any, has had the most impact on your life?Book of Operating Rules - kept me employed

4. Do you collect anything from places you visit? If so, what? Mostly just memories

5. What song stirs up the most emotion in you? Why?Star Spangled Banner - been to Fort McHenry and can visualize the conditions under which it was written.

6. If you could give a single piece of advice to someone what would it be?Don't put an age limit on your dreams...keep working to make them come true.

7. Which do you appreciate more, good lyrics or good music?Lyrics without music is only poetry and generally a lesser grade of poetry...Good music can always stand alone; bad poetry can't.

8. Do your first impressions of people often turn out to be accurate? Generally!

9. Would you prefer hiking through a mountain forest or strolling through the downtown of a big city (Barcelona for example)? City's are exciting places with adventure around every corner.

10. Do you like to look at your reflection in mirrors? And I guess, more importantly, do you have a reflection in mirrors? As I get older I keep wondering who that is in the mirror staring back at me.

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
bubbles
post Jan 25 2009, 03:50 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 15,013

QUOTE(randyfawn @ Jan 24 2009, 06:43 AM) *
2. If you could go anywhere on a date where would it be? (Particular restaurant, place…) Memphis in may, the music festival. or bonaroo in nashville. [b]Or ozzfest.[/b]

Ozzfest is a good choice! But I think they just call it U-Fest over here now...
I had so much fun when I went to Ozzfest! Even though it was the middle of the summer in Phx, so it was about 110 degrees and we were sitting in lawn seats tongue.gif lol

--------------------
Nobody enjoys a red X.

+Quote Post
TheWatch
post Feb 1 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 13,836

1. Imagine some random alien space-ship lands in your backyard. You have the opportunity to be the first human to speak with them. (For the sake of argument, assume you communicate with them telepathically and also that they look exactly like the aliens in Close Encounters, and also, they don’t seem to be hostile. Yet...) What would you ask them?
I would probably pester them with questions: Who are you? Where do you come from? Why are you here? What type of propulsion travel do you utilize to make your trips? Have you encountered other forms of life that are self aware? What is your planet like? How did you get around the physics of space travel? The list goes on and on....

2. If you could go anywhere on a date where would it be? (Particular restaurant, place…)
Someplace I've never been before, hopefully it would involve some sort of physical activity with lots of people around and then someplace secluded where we could talk. Activity usually puts me in a good mood and I really enjoy learning about people.

3. What book(s), if any, has had the most impact on your life?
1. Dragonlance:The Legend of Huma - It's a fairy tale with a very memorable main character. When I read it the first time I was about 12 and really identified with the ideas of loyalty and honor. I was able to decide at that point that it was okay to have my own set of morals and they didn't have to coincide with the role models I had or with what society thinks.

2. Island, by: Aldous Huxley - It tells about a slightly utopian society and uses a very Zen philosophy to talk about life. It inspired me to remember "Patience, Listen, and Compassion".

3. Illusions, by: Richard Bach - Philosoical allegory about the nature of reality and being. Reading this is one of the few things that ever made me feel truly optimistic. It reaffirmed in me that it is good to question everything.

4. Do you collect anything from places you visit? If so, what?
When I was a kid I collected porcelin cats from different places, I liked cats is the only reason I can guess as to why. Then I started collecting rocks. Typically speaking I am not a collecter now, I am much more likely to collect random things that remind me of people more than places.

5. What song stirs up the most emotion in you? Why?
Sad emotions: Amazing Grace - Because religious things tend to effect me that way and I don't really know why and this song particularly because I sang it at my Grandfather's funeral.

Happy emotions: Come On Eileen - When I hear the verse "We are far too young and clever" I honestly feel pumped and giddy. I'll sing that song obnoxiously loud run around with the kind of energy the Energizer Bunny would envy.

6. If you could give a single piece of advice to someone what would it be?
Work to see both sides of everything so that you can understand the "why" of people and events, but don't forget to look for yourself in everything so you understand where you belong in all of it.

7. Which do you appreciate more, good lyrics or good music? Good music, I couldn't care less about the lyrics.
That is a really tough choice because I love both, if I had to, I'd say I am a touch more of a lyric lover though because I am so caught up in words.

8. Do your first impressions of people often turn out to be accurate?
Often, but I try to really get a feel for a person before I let myself settle on an opinion about them. I take more care because my friends often use me to size up other people and I don't want to jump to conclusions if I can help it.

9. Would you prefer hiking through a mountain forest or strolling through the downtown of a big city (Barcelona for example)?
I love the outdoors for it's beauty but I think I'd opt for the energy of a city. I like the energy of the crowds as long as I haven't burnt myself out on it.

10. Do you like to look at your reflection in mirrors? And I guess, more importantly, do you have a reflection in mirrors?
I switch back and forth between being very excited about things I like about the way I look and having fun with make-up and messing with my hair which means looking in a mirror a lot, to avoiding mirrors like the plague. I guess it depends on my mood.

This post has been edited by TheWatch: Feb 1 2009, 04:02 PM

--------------------
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

--Albert Einstein--

+Quote Post
raughammer
post Feb 7 2009, 04:11 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 14,542

1. Imagine some random alien space-ship lands in your backyard. You have the opportunity to be the first human to speak with them. (For the sake of argument, assume you communicate with them telepathically and also that they look exactly like the aliens in Close Encounters, and also, they don’t seem to be hostile. Yet...) What would you ask them?

Howdy, you aint from around here, are you?

2. If you could go anywhere on a date where would it be? (Particular restaurant, place…)

Peppers. It's a nice resturaunt where my wife and i shared our first date.

3. What book, if any, has had the most impact on your life? Matthew

4. Do you collect anything from places you visit? If so, what? Not really.

5. What song stirs up the most emotion in you? Why? Hank Williams, I saw the Light, reminds me of my dad.

6. If you could give a single piece of advice to someone what would it be?
Pay yourself first.

7. Which do you appreciate more, good lyrics or good music?
Good music.

8. Do your first impressions of people often turn out to be accurate?
Yes, almost always.

9. Would you prefer hiking through a mountain forest or strolling through the downtown of a big city (Barcelona for example)?
Forest...

Yes and Yes.

--------------------
In his farewell address (September 19, 1796), President George Washington told the nation: "Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. . . . Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government."

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 06:06 AM