Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Program to draw isopleths, Can't seem to find one...
ForensicMeteoBoy
post Mar 2 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,393

Alright, this is a tough question, but I hope someone can help me out.

I'm looking for a program (ideally free) that will allow me to plot data and have it automatically create contours (aka isopleths). As a met student I've done this by hand many times, but I was wondering if there are any programs out there designed to do this. I'm guessing GIS software (like Arc GIS) can do this, but I would love to find something that could draw contours for me with as little effort as possible (meaning something easier than just drawing them myself).

I'm looking to do this for two things: one is a research proposal I would like to present, and the other is to create snow depth report contours... I want to combine eVeRyThInG!! Kidding aside, I really do... weathermatrix data, nws spotters, cocorahs, forums... everything!

Thanks for any tips or advice!

--------------------
Millersville Meteorology
Class of 2011
Blog (weather forecasts, analysis, etc.): Coming back soon...
Twitter: http://twitter.com/wxjoe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AnthonyS
post Mar 3 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,182

QUOTE(ForensicMeteoBoy @ Mar 2 2009, 08:08 PM) *
Alright, this is a tough question, but I hope someone can help me out.

I'm looking for a program (ideally free) that will allow me to plot data and have it automatically create contours (aka isopleths). As a met student I've done this by hand many times, but I was wondering if there are any programs out there designed to do this. I'm guessing GIS software (like Arc GIS) can do this, but I would love to find something that could draw contours for me with as little effort as possible (meaning something easier than just drawing them myself).

I'm looking to do this for two things: one is a research proposal I would like to present, and the other is to create snow depth report contours... I want to combine eVeRyThInG!! Kidding aside, I really do... weathermatrix data, nws spotters, cocorahs, forums... everything!

Thanks for any tips or advice!

I'm trying to figure out whether or not you sat next to me in Met. 241 with DeCaria last semester.

At any rate, a search provided me with no evidence of such a program, proprietary or not -- though I am sure one exists. Also, I am not familiar with GIS software, so I cannot help you in that regard.

I don't know if you are familiar with MATLAB or IDL, but you could probably write you own program to do this relatively easily. You biggest obstacle would be the fact that you would need to devise some sort of coordinate system to apply the snowfall data (or whatever other data) to. I would go and talk with Dr. DeCaria, as he is very familiar with programming languages (I have him this semester for IDL) and Dr. Clark, as he is head of the department and of research. I'm sure they could both provide you with good insight, and they're always willing to help.

Sorry I could not help more, I could use a program like this too!

Anthony

This post has been edited by AnthonyS: Mar 3 2009, 01:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ForensicMeteoBoy
post Mar 3 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,393

Haha, yes it is the person you sat next to in 241.

Thanks for looking, and I'll be sure to talk to Dr. DeCaria when we get back from break. See you around!

--------------------
Millersville Meteorology
Class of 2011
Blog (weather forecasts, analysis, etc.): Coming back soon...
Twitter: http://twitter.com/wxjoe

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2014 - 07:01 PM