Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I-75 in Detroit is about to be reopened, Opening Day is June 29
TJ Schulte
post Jun 17 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 13,616

It's about time. After the long wait 1-75 is set to re-open which will make life much easier for many of us who consistently use it to get up there, especially for Tigers and Red Wings games as well as some College Hockey @ the Joe. I got sick and tired of taking 75 to 275 to 94 in the city. It was so much easier to just hop on 75 and ride it all the way up to Detroit, I mean come on I don't wanna head all the way out to the airport. Anyways here's the story from the Free Press...

Metro Detroiters, rejoice: I-75 in Detroit is now set to reopen in early July, nearly half a year ahead of schedule for the massive project to rebuild the freeway and its connections to the Ambassador Bridge.

The Michigan Department of Transportation hasn’t set an exact date but hopes to have the main freeway open to traffic by the Fourth of July holiday, if the weather cooperates. The state has scheduled a ribbon-cutting ceremony with regional leaders and those affected by the project for June 29.

“We’re five months early on the opening,” said MDOT senior resident engineer Victor Judnic, who has overseen the $170-million project to revamp I-75, part of I-96 and the freeway interchange at the busy border crossing with Ontario.

There’s still plenty of work ahead. Judnic said ramps at the bridge interchange will reopen as they’re ready through the fall, as will a corresponding upgrade to the bridge plaza. Traffic between the bridge and freeway will continue on detours largely unchanged while the work continues. Some work, including landscaping, will last into May 2010.

MDOT spokesman Bill Shreck said the department wanted an early finish for the project, the largest single contract in MDOT history. It kicked off February 2008, diverting drivers to detours using I-94 in combination with I-275, Telegraph and Southfield roads.

“We understood that this was a hardship to the motoring public” and residents of southwest Detroit, Shreck said.

Judnic said contractors may earn up to $6.5 million in incentives for reopening early. The work had been scheduled to last into December.

“It’s great news,” said driver Karyn Delier of St. Clair Shores. “I’ve been avoiding it and using the I-94 loop around.”

--------------------
NW Ohio's First Poster

Weather Blog

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Maw
post Jun 18 2009, 07:23 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,971

QUOTE(TJ Schulte @ Jun 18 2009, 12:08 AM) *
It's about time. After the long wait 1-75 is set to re-open which will make life much easier for many of us who consistently use it to get up there, especially for Tigers and Red Wings games as well as some College Hockey @ the Joe. I got sick and tired of taking 75 to 275 to 94 in the city. It was so much easier to just hop on 75 and ride it all the way up to Detroit, I mean come on I don't wanna head all the way out to the airport. Anyways here's the story from the Free Press...

Are ya kidding???? This is incredible news. This affects me like you wouldn't believe. I work in Downtown Detroit and live 25 miles south of the city, so this freeway closure has been quite a doozy to deal with. What will I do with all of this extra time on my hands?

Thanks for the update. I can't believe I haven't hear of this until now.

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Rather it should be to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand and the Good Book in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

+Quote Post
TJ Schulte
post Jun 18 2009, 09:00 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,616

QUOTE(Maw @ Jun 18 2009, 08:23 AM) *
Are ya kidding???? This is incredible news. This affects me like you wouldn't believe. I work in Downtown Detroit and live 25 miles south of the city, so this freeway closure has been quite a doozy to deal with. What will I do with all of this extra time on my hands?

Thanks for the update. I can't believe I haven't hear of this until now.

Yup. I saw it in the Free Press yesterday, it was front page I believe

--------------------
NW Ohio's First Poster

Weather Blog

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_wfreeck_*
post Jun 19 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #4

Guests

This is indeed great news. I'm sure it will make things much easier for the folks that live downriver & use I-75 to reach Detroit or go to Canada. This will also be a relief on some of the Mexcantown businesses along Vernor Ave. that were affected by this closure. smile.gif

As a far eastsider, it never did affect me directly (unless I was going to Cedar Point), and even then the I-94 loop or cutting through some surface streets wasn't a big deal to me.

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jun 21 2009, 12:19 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,204

With all the auto plant reductions they could probably close a couple of lanes.

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_wfreeck_*
post Jun 21 2009, 01:16 AM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE(mmi16 @ Jun 21 2009, 02:19 AM) *
With all the auto plant reductions they could probably close a couple of lanes.

Metro Detroit still has around 5 million people (which has been stagnent since the 1960s), so the infrastructure is fine for now. It doesn't make sense to have large scale changes like lane reductions in a recession (especially when the state and its largest cities are broke).

This post has been edited by wfreeck: Jun 21 2009, 01:20 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 04:43 AM