Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

182 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Everything Baseball..., 2011 Regular Season Underway!
LoganTyler
post Jun 20 2009, 11:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 12,058

I haven't started a thread in a long time, but seeing as how I love baseball (and most other sports), figured I start a thread since we are in the heart of the season now. Anyway, post anything you want relating to the game itself here.

Tough loss for my Yanks down in FLA, 2-1. Lot of missed oppotunities. Great game pitched by A.J. Burnett, but neither the offense, nor the defense could pick him up.

Jim, I see you are lurking, dare to discuss what must have been another painful Indians loss. If not, I understand. :lol

This post has been edited by LoganTyler: Apr 5 2011, 10:26 PM

--------------------
- Logan -

A.S. in Business Administration-- Broome Comm. College '08
B.S. in Accounting-- Binghamton University '10
M.B.A. in Public Accounting-- SUNY Oswego '12
M.S. in Forensic Accounting-- SUNY Brockport '13
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SnowMan11
post Jun 20 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,017

I was happy when the Marlins beat the Yanks.

--------------------
LETS GO METS

+Quote Post
LoganTyler
post Jun 20 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(SnowMan11 @ Jun 21 2009, 12:33 AM) *
I was happy when the Marlins beat the Yanks.

Say what? This is inter-league play, each league should be rooting for the opposite league since opposite league records have no affect on playoff status. I would rather see the Mets beat the Rays seeing as how well the Rays have been playing of late and are slowly creeping into AL East Contention.

I know your from the City and have to share the limelight with the Yanks on a daily basis, but you can't tell me You were pulling for the Phillies several weeks back when they were in the Bronx. I know I was pulling for the Mets to win up in Boston. Where's the love man? dry.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
- Logan -

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_OHweather2_*
post Jun 20 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE(LoganTyler @ Jun 21 2009, 12:27 AM) *
I haven't started a thread in a long time, but seeing as how I love baseball (and most other sports), figured I start a thread since we are in the heart of the season now. Anyway, post anything you want relating to the game itself here.

Tough loss for my Yanks down in FLA, 2-1. Lot of missed oppotunities. Great game pitched by A.J. Burnett, but neither the offense, nor the defense could pick him up.

Jim, I see you are lurking, dare to discuss what must have been another painful Indians loss. If not, I understand. laugh.gif

I did not see this threat when I was lurking earlier...

Kelly Shopach should be sent down to AAA for continuosly striking out, and throwing the ball into center field during the 13th inning today. IDK what is wrong with Kerry Wood dry.gif

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jun 21 2009, 12:13 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,204

Brian Roberts take a 1-2 pitch to the seats with 2 out and 1 on in the top of the 9th to give the Orioles a 6-5 come from behind victory over the Philadelphia Phillies.

Go Birds.

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
LoganTyler
post Jun 21 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(OHweather2 @ Jun 21 2009, 12:47 AM) *
I did not see this threat when I was lurking earlier...

Kelly Shopach should be sent down to AAA for continuosly striking out, and throwing the ball into center field during the 13th inning today. IDK what is wrong with Kerry Wood dry.gif

Yeah, I think you should be content to sign on the dotted line for your Indians to go 81-81. I can realistically see the Indians finishing under .500 this year after what I've seen from them the last few games. They just seem to invent a new way to lose every night.

--------------------
- Logan -

+Quote Post
SEMIweather
post Jun 21 2009, 09:33 AM
Post #7

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,772

QUOTE(LoganTyler @ Jun 21 2009, 01:46 AM) *
Yeah, I think you should be content to sign on the dotted line for your Indians to go 81-81. I can realistically see the Indians finishing under .500 this year after what I've seen from them the last few games. They just seem to invent a new way to lose every night.

This year's Indians = Last year's Tigers

BTW the Tigers got another really nice win against Milwaukee today. cool.gif After having a horrible offense and not hitting home runs for about a week, they've now hit 10 home runs in the last four games. smile.gif Now in first in the AL Central by 3 games.

--------------------
University of Oklahoma Meteorology Major - Class of 2014

Follow me on Twitter.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_Bl1zzard_*
post Jun 21 2009, 10:14 AM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE(LoganTyler @ Jun 21 2009, 02:46 AM) *

I think .500 is a huge stretch, and I'm not just saying that cause I'm a Tiger's fan. Once Sizemore comes back, healthy, they should start scoring a bit more. Hafner seems to have his power again, 7 homers in about 20 games, slugging up near .600. Their lineup is okay, it's not great, or impressive, but they've got a good leadoff man in Grady, a good middle of the order with Martinez, Derosa and Hafner and a few other players who are having decent years, mainly Cabrera and Choo. The starting pitching is enough to make any manager jump into a river. Cliff Lee is good, really good and he's having another excellent year. But, the rest of the rotation all has ERA's over 6 or so. That just isn't going to get it done. Carmona looks like an even worse version of Dontrelle Willis right now. He can't find the plate, and when he does he gets hit hard. I don't think that will change, ever. Pavano's had good command he just can't get outs, partially the defenses fault also. If I had to guess the BABIP against him is annomalously high, but I don't know for sure. Either way, the rotation on the whole sucks. The bullpen sucks too. Though, now that I look at the stats they've only lost 16 games and won 10. They constantly get brought in with all the left-over men on base from the starters. That wears on a reliever.

For as good as the Indian's looked like they "could" be a few years ago, they sure have fallen a long way. All the prospects are fizzling. Garko can't hit more than .250, Francisco isn't very good, Peralta can't do much of anything well, Carmona doesn't remember the idea of pitching and some of the guys who looked like they'd be mainstays while the young players were improving have faded in the last couple years, Hafner is who I'm talking about here.

So, in my opinion, I don't see them improving much. I wouldn't be surprised to see 70 wins. Everyone wins 60 and loses 60, it's the other 40 that count. I don't expect much out of the "other" 40. Also, if they were to want to turn into a playoff contender they'd need another starter and that would come through a trade. If they wanted someone decent they'd need to offer up Carbrera, Choo, Laporta or other people like that. It would majorly weaken the lineup and they'd lose a few prospects too. I think it's time to throw in the towel on this year. I'll say 72 and 90.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_Bl1zzard_*
post Jun 21 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE(mmi16 @ Jun 21 2009, 02:13 AM) *
Brian Roberts take a 1-2 pitch to the seats with 2 out and 1 on in the top of the 9th to give the Orioles a 6-5 come from behind victory over the Philadelphia Phillies.

Go Birds.

Those Orioles have a heck of a lineup. Everytime we (the Tiger's) play them, Scott goes and hits two homers. I think he's had 5 multi-homer games against us out of about a dozen total. Lot's of young hitting talent on that team. Plenty of time to put together a strong rotation while these guys are still in their primes. In a few years maybe they'll be able to challenge for the Eastern division lead. The owner will probably need to shell out some fairly big bucks for guys like Markakis and Jones though. I wonder if winning a pennant is worth having a payroll over 100 million to the owner?

+Quote Post
SEMIweather
post Jun 21 2009, 01:39 PM
Post #10

Brandon Inge crushes a three run homer, 3-1 Tigers over Brewers after 6.

EDIT: Tigers win 3-2 and run the Brew Crew out of town. cool.gif

--------------------

Follow me on Twitter.

+Quote Post
LoganTyler
post Jun 21 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #11

Another bad loss for my Yankees, 6-5. Fired up a 2-out rally in the 9th against Matt Lindstrom down 6-3. Posada single, Cabrera single, Gardner triple, now 6-5. PH Johnny D walks. Derek J comes up, with the pitcher on the ropes, and swings at the 1st pitch fastball on the inside, gets jammed, and bounces a harmless grounder right to the SS for the 3rd out. mad.gif

This post has been edited by LoganTyler: Jun 21 2009, 07:24 PM

--------------------
- Logan -

+Quote Post
SnowMan11
post Jun 21 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 14,017

QUOTE(LoganTyler @ Jun 21 2009, 12:40 AM) *
Say what? This is inter-league play, each league should be rooting for the opposite league since opposite league records have no affect on playoff status. I would rather see the Mets beat the Rays seeing as how well the Rays have been playing of late and are slowly creeping into AL East Contention.

I know your from the City and have to share the limelight with the Yanks on a daily basis, but you can't tell me You were pulling for the Phillies several weeks back when they were in the Bronx. I know I was pulling for the Mets to win up in Boston. Where's the love man? dry.gif tongue.gif

I was pulling for the Yanks when they were vsing the Phillies. I don't like the Phillies, Yanks and Braves.

QUOTE(mmi16 @ Jun 21 2009, 01:13 AM) *

Go Birds.

Orioles smile.gif

--------------------
LETS GO METS

+Quote Post
WEATHERFAN100
post Jun 21 2009, 11:36 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,459

QUOTE(LoganTyler @ Jun 21 2009, 09:21 PM) *
Another bad loss for my Yankees, 6-5. Fired up a 2-out rally in the 9th against Matt Lindstrom down 6-3. Posada single, Cabrera single, Gardner triple, now 6-5. PH Johnny D walks. Derek J comes up, with the pitcher on the ropes, and swings at the 1st pitch fastball on the inside, gets jammed, and bounces a harmless grounder right to the SS for the 3rd out. mad.gif

I am very tired of seeing the Yankees lose to weak NL teams like Nationals and Florida. It is getting very predictable that we are losing to young pitchers we never seen before. We were leadign the AL East before inter league play started up by 1 game now we are behind Boston by 4 games and only ahead ofthe Bleu Jays by 1 game and rays by 2. I better see the Yanks win the series down in Atlanta this week better yet to sweep!

--------------------
-James

Winter 2013-2014:
December: 12.15"
January:

+Quote Post
WEATHERFAN100
post Jun 21 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 13,459

6/21/09 Final Scores:

Tigers 3 Brewers 2
White Soxs 4 Reds 1
Rays 10 Mets 6
Red Soxs 6 Braves 5
Jays 9 Nationals 4
Orioles 2 Phillies 1
Cardinals 12 Royals 5
Astros 4 Twins 1
Cubs 6 Indians 2
Padres 4 A's 1
Giants 3 Rangers 2
Mariners 3 Diamondbacks 2
Marlins 6 Yankees 5 mad.gif
Dodgers 5 Angels 3
Rockies 5 Pirates 4

This post has been edited by WEATHERFAN100: Jun 21 2009, 11:41 PM

--------------------
-James

Winter 2013-2014:
December: 12.15"
January:

+Quote Post
mmi16
post Jun 22 2009, 02:11 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 13,204

O's 2 - Phils 1 - O's sweep their first series of 2009.

--------------------
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Don't put an age limit on your dreams!

+Quote Post
cactusjack
post Jun 22 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 15,095

How 'bout them Dodgers? Nice win against the Angels last night 5-3 to win the series. We are playing some good sound fundamental baseball. Not too many homers, but we are getting people on base and doing what we have to do to score. Starting pitching is working pretty good. Bullpen is fantastic right now.

I like Manny and what he did for our team, but Pierre is doing good (batting over .330 and he's better defensively than Manny) so I don't know if I want him to come back.

How would you all feel if he was voted into the All-Star Game?

--------------------
"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there." -John Wooden

"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines." -Unknown

+Quote Post
SEMIweather
post Jun 22 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(cactusjack @ Jun 22 2009, 02:44 PM) *
How 'bout them Dodgers? Nice win against the Angels last night 5-3 to win the series. We are playing some good sound fundamental baseball. Not too many homers, but we are getting people on base and doing what we have to do to score. Starting pitching is working pretty good. Bullpen is fantastic right now.

I like Manny and what he did for our team, but Pierre is doing good (batting over .330 and he's better defensively than Manny) so I don't know if I want him to come back.

I wouldn't care if Manny went to the All-Star Game. My main issue would be that he has not produced much this season because of his 50 game suspension. But I don't really care that baseball players use PEDs. I don't know how you can like baseball and still care about baseball players using PEDs, considering that it is probable that a majority of the good players at one time or another have used them. Just my opinion, and I know it's a radical one. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

Follow me on Twitter.

+Quote Post
LoganTyler
post Jun 22 2009, 03:50 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(cactusjack @ Jun 22 2009, 02:44 PM) *

The idea of Manny possibly being voted in by the fans for the all-star game just doesn't sit well with me.

First, he doesn't have the stats this season to back up a position on the All-Star Team. With missing 50 games, his power numbers (aside from .349 Avg) are 6 Hr's/20 Rbi, which should not yield him a spot on the All-star team. There are plenty more deserving outfielders in the NL that should voted in before him just based on production numbers.

Now, I understand this is the "Fan's Game", so their votes should count. But, this is a situation where the fans should be smart enough to do the right thing. Not all the voting, but a large chunk, seems to always be based on popularity versus pure baseball statistics. Every year it seems someone makes it based on popularity versus their season production numbers, and someone with good numbers who is more deserving does not make it. It reminds me of 1 year where Nomar Garciaparra (when he was with the Red Sox) was voted in by the fans, even though he had spent most of the 1st half of the year on the DL.

Should Manny even be voted in by the fans, he still should not accept it. And I don't think he would. He should be smart enough to take himself out of the selection process. He knows he doesn't deserve to be in it, and should he be voted in and accept it, it would be an embarrassment to the ASG, and baseball as a whole. Not to mention, it would draw too much attention and publicity to the game itself for all the wrong reasons. The story of him being in the ASG would no doubt overshadow anything positive that comes about from the ASG weekend.

Not many ASG's in major league sports in America are worth watching. The NBA ASG is a joke, no one plays defense, and it's all about 1 on 1 basketball (as is NBA anyway), and who can wow the crowd the most. The NFL Probowl is also a joke, no one plays hard because they don't want to blow a knee or get injured. To me, the MLB ASG is the only one left that even remotely interests me, and since there is World Series home-field advantage rights on the line, it does make the game worth something, and players/coaches do play to win because of it.

Now that said, the AL has dominated the NL in recent years, with a 11 or 12 year winning streak on the line. The NL has certainly had a few chances during their losing streak to pull a game or two out, but the AL always seems to find a way to get it done. Even still, I do still enjoy watching the MLB ASG.

--------------------
- Logan -

+Quote Post
Firewalled
post Jun 22 2009, 04:39 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 18,398

My son's little league team is 3-0! And my baby got 2 hits, a run, and made a double play last game. We took him to the batting cages this weekend, and once he got the rythm down, he was consistantly hitting 10 out ofthe 12 balls.

/end proud mommy brag

This post has been edited by Firewalled: Jun 22 2009, 04:41 PM

+Quote Post
LoganTyler
post Jun 22 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Firewalled @ Jun 22 2009, 05:39 PM) *
My son's little league team is 3-0! And my baby got 2 hits, a run, and made a double play last game. We took him to the batting cages this weekend, and once he got the rythm down, he was consistantly hitting 10 out of the 12 balls.

/end proud mommy brag

I loved Little League when I was younger. LL is probably my most missed childhood memory from back in the day (9-12 years ago).

Sidenote, our LL here in Maine has become quite a competitive league since we joined forces with our neighboring league on the other side of the school district in Endwell. When I played, it was just the Maine Little League, now it's the Maine-Endwell Little League. Just like our school district is Maine-Endwell. And here's a story to show how quick the success came about.

The very first year we started a joint LL, which was 2007, our 11-12 year old All-Star Team won the single-elimination Western NY Regional Tourament in dramatic fashion. They needed a heroic comeback in the championship game against Fayetteville-Manlius from the Syracuse area. Heading into the top of the 6th inning, down 3-2, with 2 out and 1 runner on, we got a 2-run HR to go up 4-3 and steal a win to advance into the New York Finals. We took out Harlem from NYC in the semi-finals, and then Plainview LL from Nassau County (Long Island) to win the NYS championship.

Went on to play in the Mid-Atlantic Regional Tournament in Bristol, CT with the Champions of Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, and District of Columbia. Our team went 4-0 in pool play, beating Maryland, Pennsylvania, District of Columbia, and New Jersey to earn the #1 seed for the single elimination round. But in a semi-final rematch with West Salisbury, Maryland, our team lost 11-10. We were up 5-2 thru the 4 innings, and then Maryland scored 9 runs in the bottom of the 5th inning to go up 11-5. We rallied to score 5 in the top of the 6th, to make the score 11-10, but that was how the season ended.

The team had won 27 straight games beginning with district play here at home to the final pool play win in the Mid-Atlantic Regional Tournament. Best LL team ever to come out of this area. That team is now working it's way thru the Maine-Endwell JV's for the school district, and should do well in the next couple years as they work into High School. Maine-Endwell Varsity Boys won the Class B New York State Title Baseball last year, and made it to the state semi-finals this year, but fell short of repeating as champions.

2007 Mid-Atlantic Regional Results

This post has been edited by LoganTyler: Jun 22 2009, 05:33 PM

--------------------
- Logan -

+Quote Post

182 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 01:38 AM