Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> weather stations used for schools
tony.s
post Jul 10 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 18,605

Hi All,

I have a question you might have some ideas for me on……Our educational outreach effort for schools is trying to develop a wind site pre-assessment activity for high schoolers utilizing a weather station and data logger system we just purchased. One of the superintendents we’re talking with about doing this in his school wants us to have the capacity for the kids to see the instantaneous data on a “hallway” computer. Do you have any ideas how to display data instantaneous or graphic images.

Thank you in advance,

-Tony

This post has been edited by tony.s: Jul 16 2009, 01:56 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tony.s
post Jul 13 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #2

Hey all again,

Our current difficulty is finding a clear way to represent the data once it is transferred over to a computer kiosk, preferably in real-time.

+Quote Post
missmarisa
post Jul 13 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #3

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 11,489

Hi Tony!!

Welcome to the forums. smile.gif

I think if you sent a PM to our Forum administrator and Accuweather Meteorologist Jesse Ferrell (WeatherMatrix) he might be able to help you out with what you are asking here. He's up on all those gadgets and gizmos, and if doesn't know what you are trying to do, he might know someone who does.

Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
tony.s
post Jul 14 2009, 09:02 AM
Post #4

Thanks for the advice!

Luckily it is the summer time so we have some time to work out the bugs. We are experimenting with a free program at the moment but it is not very user friendly, atleast for us.

But I will contact your suggestion and see what road that leads.

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Jul 14 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #5

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(tony.s @ Jul 13 2009, 03:54 PM) *
Hey all again,

Our current difficulty is finding a clear way to represent the data once it is transferred over to a computer kiosk, preferably in real-time.

Hi Tony,

It would be impossible to say without knowing what hardware & software you are using (for the weather station & on the kiosk), but there are a number of possible solutions involving web pages, flash, windows applications, or even L.E.D. signs.

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF

+Quote Post
tony.s
post Jul 14 2009, 01:52 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(WeatherMatrix @ Jul 14 2009, 03:38 PM) *
Hi Tony,

It would be impossible to say without knowing what hardware & software you are using (for the weather station & on the kiosk), but there are a number of possible solutions involving web pages, flash, windows applications, or even L.E.D. signs.

Onset U30 Hobo Weather station.

The Hobo comes with software but we determined it was too complicated for school usage. Thank you for bearing with us and our lack of knowledge on the subject. This project was sort of sprang upon us so we are just learning. We are hoping to start late august or early september.

We do have our own web page though.

As for the kiosk, the superintedent was hoping for a computer display. Something easy for kids to see and understand.

+Quote Post
BeckyMarie
post Jul 15 2009, 03:03 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 11,905

Hi Tony,

I would be interested in talking to your Superintendent about forming AccuKidz Weather Teams in your school. It is a great way to get the students involved in a hands on activity with the ability to not only discuss weather with other students but also upload photos and rate and comment on other student's photos and forum posts in a moderated setting.

If you would like to learn more please contact Ron Shawley or I through the PM function on the forums.

Enjoy your summer!

Becky Marie
AccuKidz Director

+Quote Post
tony.s
post Jul 15 2009, 11:27 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(BeckyMarie @ Jul 15 2009, 05:03 AM) *
Hi Tony,

I would be interested in talking to your Superintendent about forming AccuKidz Weather Teams in your school. It is a great way to get the students involved in a hands on activity with the ability to not only discuss weather with other students but also upload photos and rate and comment on other student's photos and forum posts in a moderated setting.

If you would like to learn more please contact Ron Shawley or I through the PM function on the forums.

Enjoy your summer!

Becky Marie
AccuKidz Director

That does sound pretty interesting but we are really just trying to develop our curriculum based on wind assessments and wind energy opposed to weather. I don't feel it is in my place to push this upon him but as things develop I will keep it in mind as a resource for them.

UPDATE

Right now we are having a lot of trouble with software. It turns out that hobo dataloggers do not work well with others. Here is the datalogger on our system

http://www.onsetcomp.com/products/data-loggers/u30-nrc

+Quote Post
tony.s
post Jul 20 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #9

I have had a few recommendations for the Hobo pro software but it does not seem to mesh with what we would like for a display. The superintendent has a small weather station that has a wireless display in his home that reads out wind speed, direction, temperature and all that. Is there a program that we could use to project something similar? We are trying to get this up and running so we can get all the kinks out prior to school starting.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 01:55 PM