Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some noob help please
cwhite
post Sep 22 2009, 02:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 19,253

I just bought my wife a Davies wireless vantage Pro2 for Christmas. She's all into the weather and stuff so hopefully she'll be really suprised. Anyway, since I really know very little about this stuff and am still a bit confused after looking at various websites is - what ELSE do I need?

1) I want to be able to read the information on my home PC.
2) I would like historical data to be maintained on my pc.

I thought about virtual weather station (http://www.ambientweather.com/puviwestined.html).
But then reading around do I also need some sort of data logger?

I just don't want to come Christmas time and be like "Oh, we need to order this thing here too."

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
talbert1952
post Sep 22 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #2

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,350

QUOTE(cwhite @ Sep 22 2009, 04:23 PM) *
what ELSE do I need?

At a minimum you will need a Davis Weatherlink package. The package contains a logger that you install in the console and the Weatherlink software. There are several versions of Weatherlink. Each version has a different type of computer connection. The standard serial version is what I use. There is a USB version which has given many users lots of headaches. There is an Ethernet version but I don't have any experience with it. There are several other versions for specific applications.

The Weatherlink software has excellent logging, archiving and analysis tools but it is pretty basic if you want to drive a fancy website. I use the Weatherlink software and it has been totally adequate for my needs.

--------------------
Tom
W4SNA

http://tobaccovilleweather.com/
Davis wireless VP2 with fan aspirated radiation shield, WMR968, Boltek Stormtracker PCI
Weatherlink, VWS, Image Salsa, Lightning/2000

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Sep 22 2009, 08:17 PM
Post #3

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(cwhite @ Sep 22 2009, 03:23 PM) *
I just bought my wife a Davies wireless vantage Pro2 for Christmas. She's all into the weather and stuff so hopefully she'll be really suprised. Anyway, since I really know very little about this stuff and am still a bit confused after looking at various websites is - what ELSE do I need?

1) I want to be able to read the information on my home PC.
2) I would like historical data to be maintained on my pc.

I thought about virtual weather station (http://www.ambientweather.com/puviwestined.html).
But then reading around do I also need some sort of data logger?

I just don't want to come Christmas time and be like "Oh, we need to order this thing here too."

Thanks!

The weatherlink package (includes logger & software) will be sufficient, though if you want to go nuts you may want to get the VWS software.

I also had no end of trouble from the USB (and even Serial) WeatherLink... plus I hated having a 2nd computer on all the time (I didn't want it using memory on my main computer) so I ended up switching to the WeatherLinkIP which doesn't require a computer. You can still use the WeatherLink software that comes with it to read and store the data over your home network if you want to (otherwise your history will only be maintained online at 15 minute intervals).

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF

+Quote Post
cwhite
post Sep 23 2009, 10:55 AM
Post #4

Thanks, both replies were very helpful.

Looks like I'm in the hole for at least another $165.00 mellow.gif This is not a cheap hobby. O well, what ever makes them happy.

+Quote Post
cwhite
post Oct 14 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #5

Well *bleep* after looking at the installation instructions I'm not liking what I'm seeing. I was assuming the USB would communicate wirelesly (sp). But now I see you need to run a cable from the station to the computer. That would severely limit where I could put the main station/display. Where I was wanting to put it isn't even close to a pc. Are there any wireless options out there?

+Quote Post
Bugs
post Oct 22 2009, 05:20 AM
Post #6

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 296

QUOTE(cwhite @ Oct 15 2009, 06:01 AM) *
Well *bleep* after looking at the installation instructions I'm not liking what I'm seeing. I was assuming the USB would communicate wirelesly (sp). But now I see you need to run a cable from the station to the computer. That would severely limit where I could put the main station/display. Where I was wanting to put it isn't even close to a pc. Are there any wireless options out there?

Wirless as in 802.11 etc directly No, indirectly Yes.

This post has been edited by Bugs: Oct 22 2009, 05:21 AM

+Quote Post
mistral
post Nov 11 2009, 05:33 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 19,704

QUOTE(Bugs @ Oct 22 2009, 11:20 AM) *
Wirless as in 802.11 etc directly No, indirectly Yes.

Another noobie here with much the same potential problem. I'm looking at purchasing a Davis system, want to both archive the weather for personal use and and feed to external websites, e.g. the one run by the village mayor.

I'm thinking of getting the WeatherlinkIP with Ethernet interface( right/wrong?). However because of our house structure I'm going to end up with the console about 30' from my PC and the existing wireless router and also inbetween will be two thick masonary walls. Since I already have a wireless LAN set up it seems to me a no-brainer to connect the data logger to the Router wirelessly, but how? What extra kit will I need to attach to the logger to allow it to communicate wirelessly with my router and PC?

Edited to add: Failing that, is it possible to make use of one the "powerline" ethernet systems - i.e. run an Ethernet cable from the WeatherlinkIP to a adaptor on an adjacent power point, and then link it to the router via a powerpoint/adaptor in the room housing the PC - anybody done that/have any views?

Rgds

Mistral in France

This post has been edited by mistral: Nov 12 2009, 03:14 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 10:08 AM