Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vantage Vue
jeffgod
post Oct 3 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,558

Does anyone have the Vantage Vue? I am wondering how this new product is working?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Linmk2
post Oct 4 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 23

I have not seen the Vantage Vue, but reviewing what information I can find, it appears to do just about everything the Vantage Pro series does. It would appear that the Vue does not store information for as long as the Vantage Pro does. For instances, with the Vantage Pro, you can look at High/Lows, for years back. While I'm not positive, but there is not mention of that on the Vue. Also, some of the add on's such as the leaf wetness sensor, does not appear to be available on the Vue. The biggest plus is the price. Also, a minor thing, but the Vue does show when meteor showers will happen.

--------------------
Howard H./ Pt. Arthur, Texas

+Quote Post
Bugs
post Oct 22 2009, 05:17 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 296

Also, a minor thing, but the Vue does show when meteor showers will happen.

What else does?

+Quote Post
EastBayWx
post Oct 22 2009, 06:37 PM
Post #4

Group: Member
Member No.: 19,388

I have a Vantage pro 2 Plus but I bought the Vantage Vue console as an additional console for my bedroom. It seems to have more information on it than the Vantage 2 console does. It sort of looks like the old Monitor console but with more data on the screen. It also allows me to use my ISS sensor and Anemometer transmitter kit. Overall I'm pleased with this console and its compatibility with Vantage Pro. Not sure about the Vantage vue sensor suite. I'm not a big fan of anemometers being combined with temp/ rain guages. Jeff.

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Oct 23 2009, 05:50 PM
Post #5

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(jeffgod @ Oct 3 2009, 08:08 PM) *
Does anyone have the Vantage Vue? I am wondering how this new product is working?

I have it, have not completed a full review yet, when I do I will post it to my blog.

Briefly:

PROS: Cheaper, all instruments, solar panel smaller (they did a really good job on this), easier battery installation, same operation & transmission range

CONS: Anemometer can't be separated, console is cluttered with a lot of info, still has some bugs cause it's early

In summary, no need to run out and buy one if you already have a VP2 because it's essentially the same, but if you're looking for a new station the lower price will open them up to a lot more sales.

-- FROM THE J-CAM RECENTLY

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF

+Quote Post
SoFla Ken
post Oct 29 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #6

Group: Member
Member No.: 19,604

Just put up a new Vantage Vue a couple of days ago. It replaces an eight year old Vantage Pro. So far so good, but two days isn't really enough evaluation time. The accuracy specs are the same as for the Vantage Pro 2. The display console is a little different, with seemingly more information than the Vantage Pro 2 reports. And, the all-in-one ISS unit was a plus for me, I was after a low profile, easy to install system. Leaf wetness, solar radiation, and UV are not available for the Vantage Vue, and neither is a fan aspirated sensor shield. I believe I can use the same Weatherlink software package that is used with the Vantage Pro, but I have not tried it yet.

The only issue I had with my old Vantage Pro was the bearings in the anemometer were apparently shot, as it took quite a bit of wind to turn it. In the eight years I had it, I had to replace the board in the ISS twice. But Davis customer service was very good; after speaking with their tech support, they sent the board out and told me to just return the old one once I had installed the new one. The first time around it was free, even though the unit was out of warranty!

+Quote Post
Bugs
post Oct 31 2009, 04:17 AM
Post #7

The VUE is a weather station but probably not a replacement for a VP2, it simply supplements the range of models available with different capabilities.

The meteor shower thing is still a mystery?

+Quote Post
Jarron
post Nov 1 2009, 12:19 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(Bugs @ Oct 31 2009, 04:17 AM) *
The VUE is a weather station but probably not a replacement for a VP2, it simply supplements the range of models available with different capabilities.

The meteor shower thing is still a mystery?

The principle meteor showers happen the same time each year, within a couple day range at least. So there's no mystery. I'm sure you can google "meteor showers" and find a schedule, then add them to your computer calendar as a recurring event so you remember each year.

If you're looking for an excuse to get the Vue, forget the above and pretend it predicts them by the atmospheric conditions. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bugs
post Nov 1 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #9

Don't intend "pretending" anything and FYI the term "meteor shower" is only mentioned once in one Vue document without any explanation and is not referenced what so ever in the technical specifications, so the best thing in this instance is to simple ignore that it exists unless Davis come forth with additional information.

As an excuse for a Vue, don't need and excuse and have already trialed one. As previously mentioned they are not a replacement for a VP2 especially considering the rain collector and all in one head unit. The pole mount could also have been a little longer and double clamped. The Vue console as a basic display is a much better setup than the VP2 console.

One thing that could be a worry is the number of access points in the base mould of the head unit where bugs, spiders, ants etc could find a home?

+Quote Post
Jarron
post Nov 1 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 209

Sorry, your question wasn't quite clear to me.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 07:45 AM