Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possible Virus / Malware Issues 12/4/09
Louieloy102
post Dec 4 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 16,649

When I load a page 80% of the time I got redirected to this page h t t p://recentshopping.cn/go.php?id=2005-03...6bfde57&d=1
Anyone else and Jesse, any input?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GeorgiaGirl
post Dec 4 2009, 08:51 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,990

While I'm on the forums, I keep getting redirected to this specific malicious webpage for rogue antivirus. Either AT&T or Microsoft (more likely AT&T) picked it up the first time and warned me about it, the second time, I didn't get warned (but thankfully ending IE doesn't start it).
Anyone else have this problem?

+Quote Post
CentralIllinois
post Dec 4 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 14,540

QUOTE(GeorgiaGirl @ Dec 4 2009, 07:51 PM) *
While I'm on the forums, I keep getting redirected to this specific malicious webpage for rogue antivirus. Either AT&T or Microsoft (more likely AT&T) picked it up the first time and warned me about it, the second time, I didn't get warned (but thankfully ending IE doesn't start it).

Same here it says i need to do a Virus scan so i just restarted my computer instead of clicking on it because once you click on it your doomed

--------------------

WCIA_dfabert Forecast is much more believeable! Notice that the legend has changed! #cILwx

^
After 1 model run

2013-2014
# of Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 4
# of Severe Thunderstorm Warnings:3
# of Tornado Watches:0
# of Tornado Warnings:1

2014-2015 Snowfall:2.7"
2013-2014 Snowfall:42.8"
2012-2013 Snowfall: 24.4"

Note to Accuweather.com....Please give us a dedicated video blogger for the Plains/MW/OV/GL area!

+Quote Post
SEMIweather
post Dec 4 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #4

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,772

QUOTE(CentralIllinois @ Dec 4 2009, 08:57 PM) *
Same here it says i need to do a Virus scan so i just restarted my computer instead of clicking on it because once you click on it your doomed

This problem has been acknowledged...in the meantime, follow CentralIllinois' advice...DO NOT click on anything, also close it with CTRL+ALT+DELETE, shut down your computer, and unplug your modem if possible.

--------------------
University of Oklahoma Meteorology Major - Class of 2014

Follow me on Twitter.

+Quote Post
GeorgiaGirl
post Dec 4 2009, 09:03 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(CentralIllinois @ Dec 4 2009, 08:57 PM) *

I ended and restarted Internet Explorer. I thought that the security warning pop up wouldn't go away with it but it did.
This is a bit of a problem.... that the people there need to fix.

AT&T blocked the redirection once, but why didn't they do it twice?

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Dec 4 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #6

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

Posting in this forum or even contacting its administrators does not guarantee that the issue will get passed along to our techs in a timely manner.

First realize that this is probably not caused by AccuWeather.com. Because you visit AccuWeather.com every day, if you get a virus you may see it while your web browser is open visiting us. Other sites can load the software and make it appear to come from AccuWeather.com and often do because we are a large site. Nonetheless, as a precaution everyone seeing similar issues that seem to be associated with AccuWeather.com should either fill out the AccuWeather.com Contact form or email customerservice @ accuweather.com (space left in to avoid spammers). But not before running a tool such as http://www.spywareterminator.com/

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF

+Quote Post
thebigrombalski
post Dec 4 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,308

omg Jesse, I just saw you have a RIP Monk figure...RIP because tonight is the very final episode, or RIP cause he dies??? The episode just started...

Ha! I knew someone would ask that. laugh.gif I am taping it, so no spoilers! It was meant for Series R.I.P. though you never know! mellow.gif

--------------------
Meteorology is like a jigsaw puzzle...you need to use all the pieces in order for it to make sense...if you choose to ignore certain pieces, your final solution will never be right...

Model-ologists live and die by each model run because it takes less effort to base a forecast off of one model run, than to actually take a step back and look at synoptics, look at climatology, look at teleconnections, and to take into consideration the basic thermodynamic properties of our atmosphere...

Meteorology- Respect the SCIENCE!

+Quote Post
missmarisa
post Dec 4 2009, 09:14 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 11,489

QUOTE(WeatherMatrix @ Dec 4 2009, 09:07 PM) *
Posting in this forum or even contacting its administrators does not guarantee that the issue will get passed along to our techs in a timely manner.

First realize that this is probably not caused by AccuWeather.com. Because you visit AccuWeather.com every day, if you get a virus you may see it while your web browser is open visiting us. Other sites can load the software and make it appear to come from AccuWeather.com and often do because we are a large site. Nonetheless, as a precaution everyone seeing similar issues that seem to be associated with AccuWeather.com should either fill out the AccuWeather.com Contact form or email customerservice @ accuweather.com (space left in to avoid spammers). But not before running a tool such as http://www.spywareterminator.com/

I sent my report in...I'd suggest everyone else with issues do the same.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thebigrombalski
post Dec 4 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,308

QUOTE(thebigrombalski @ Dec 4 2009, 09:09 PM) *
Ha! I knew someone would ask that. laugh.gif I am taping it, so no spoilers! It was meant for Series R.I.P. though you never know! mellow.gif

I am watching it now...

on another note...when i first opened firefox to heads to accuweather to check out the new run of the NAM I too was redirected to that webpage everyone seems to be talking about...trying to tell me i need to install anti-virus software and to click on the link...

too bad i have McAfee, i know not to click anything...

--------------------
Meteorology is like a jigsaw puzzle...you need to use all the pieces in order for it to make sense...if you choose to ignore certain pieces, your final solution will never be right...

Model-ologists live and die by each model run because it takes less effort to base a forecast off of one model run, than to actually take a step back and look at synoptics, look at climatology, look at teleconnections, and to take into consideration the basic thermodynamic properties of our atmosphere...

Meteorology- Respect the SCIENCE!

+Quote Post
Niyologist
post Dec 4 2009, 09:40 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 12,006

QUOTE(GeorgiaGirl @ Dec 4 2009, 08:51 PM) *

That happened to me nearly 2 months ago. mad.gif

--------------------
CURRENT IEM/OEM SET: VSonic GR06 (MSRP $59.99), MEElec M-DUO (MSRP $79.99), Beyerdynamic DTX-910 (MSRP $79.99), Ultrasone HFI-450 (MSRP $119.99), JVC HA-FXT90 (MSRP $135.00)

SOURCE: Cowon J3 8GB DAP (WHT)+Fiio E11 Headphone Amplifier w/C3 32GB MicroSD Card Class 6

To learn more about Sound Frequency:
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/re...ain_display.htm

If you need help with choosing the right IEMs (In Ear Monitors)
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568...-ie-added-05-20

+Quote Post
gloryboy1417
post Dec 4 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,780

How many use Firefox as their browser? I ask because my fiance had a rogue antivirus start scanning on her laptop and she does not come onto the forums....so it is not the forums making this rogue software pop up.

--------------------
Kevin
Eastern Berks Fire Department
Bally Community Ambulance

+Quote Post
DomNH
post Dec 5 2009, 12:08 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,976

QUOTE(gloryboy1417 @ Dec 4 2009, 10:06 PM) *
How many use Firefox as their browser? I ask because my fiance had a rogue antivirus start scanning on her laptop and she does not come onto the forums....so it is not the forums making this rogue software pop up.

I do, and I know exactly what you're talking about. Haven't seen it on here though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeorgiaGirl
post Dec 5 2009, 08:33 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(gloryboy1417 @ Dec 4 2009, 10:06 PM) *

I got redirected FROM the forums, to a rogue antivirus webpage.
In general, the free version of accuweather has many pop ups.

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Dec 5 2009, 09:31 AM
Post #14

Admin

QUOTE(GeorgiaGirl @ Dec 5 2009, 08:33 AM) *
I got redirected FROM the forums, to a rogue antivirus webpage.
In general, the free version of accuweather has many pop ups.

It should only have one popup every day or two - as long as you are not blocking or deleting cookies, which track whether or not you have seen the ad. Sounds like you have adware on your system generating popups.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Louieloy102
post Dec 5 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 16,649

It got fixed for me, thanks.

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Dec 5 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 14,521

A few suggestions in the meantime...

Make sure that your AV is updated and perform either a root scan or through scan in safe mode. I use avast! and when KMIZ got hacked, I was immediately warned about malware by avast. Something else I utilize is 'NoScript' Firefox add on. This combination has cut down on a ton of "attacks".

I would also suggest you download the Hijack This program from Trend Micro. It lets you know where in the registry you can see something taking control of your computer.

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
GeorgiaGirl
post Dec 5 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(WeatherMatrix @ Dec 5 2009, 09:31 AM) *
It should only have one popup every day or two - as long as you are not blocking or deleting cookies, which track whether or not you have seen the ad. Sounds like you have adware on your system generating popups.

One on the forums once in a while, but on the actual website Internet Explorer blocks 2-4 pop ups a day when I'm on there and to protect your security, blocks something else, I don't know what the something else is that IE is blocking (I have the latest version).

I don't have antivirus and pretty much am 90% sure there isn't any viruses on my computer without checking.

Also, I think the fact that I have AT&T and Internet Explorer 8 helps a bit. AT&T gives me possible fraud warnings on a couple webpages I'm going to sometimes. I think IE 8 has a thing where you can send to microsoft about malware webpages to warn others which is how I got warned the first time when the website attempted to redirect me.

This post has been edited by GeorgiaGirl: Dec 5 2009, 11:11 AM

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_Snowstorms_*
post Dec 5 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #18

Guests

Never happened to me, i have the best security there is. Haha! Though clean your computer out, delete unwanted stuff.

+Quote Post
Tassadar
post Dec 6 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 16,275

Guys, just use FireFox and AdBlock (extension) and none of this will ever bother you. smile.gif

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Dec 7 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #20

Admin

QUOTE(Tassadar @ Dec 6 2009, 11:43 PM) *
Guys, just use FireFox and AdBlock (extension) and none of this will ever bother you. smile.gif

I also personally (not officially) recommend SpyWareTerminator for cleaning and blocking. We use it here.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 08:39 AM