Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Posters quoting huge posts for one or two line replies..., Can something be done?
WBwxwatcher92
post Dec 11 2009, 05:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 14,654

When I read OBS and discussion threads, I see a lot of people who are quoting posts with several images just to post a short reply. It's annoying having to go through these posts to read some serious discussion and it also slows down my computer to the point of freezing.

Mods, can something be done to stop this?

--------------------
Winter storm grades:
12/26-27: F; shafted big-time
1/11: C+; kind of shafted, but decent snowfall
1/26: F; wrong side of a major cutoff again

Winter grade so far: D
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Beck
post Dec 11 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,931

When I quote, I usually just shorten the quote if it seems too long.
I usually don't see much of what you're talking about, but that's mainly because I only visit the Western Storm OBS/Forecasts threads, which there aren't very many of.

--------------------
Temecula Seasonal Precipitation 2013-2014: 6.10" (-6.55")
Normal to-date precipitation: 12.65"
Season began July 1st, 2013.

My Seasonal Precipitation 2013-2014: 7.10"

Temecula Weather Pages

+Quote Post
DomNH
post Dec 11 2009, 05:38 PM
Post #3

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 11,976

Moved to Help/Suggestions/Tutorials...

While 99% of the time we don't edit posts, I think an exception can be made here. Multiple people quoting long posts does slow things up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
LoganTyler
post Dec 11 2009, 05:51 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,058

I'm actually glad someone brought this up. I don't often express any complaints on here, but this is 1 issue I find very, very annoying, moreso lately than usual. I see this especially at times when model runs are coming out, and someone posts 2, 3, 4 or more model images in 1 post, and then 2 or 3 people quote the post just to mention what they think about the temperatures or the precip areas etc, without deleting the images from their quote. The result is mile-long posts with the same 4-6 images in the quotebox all for 2 sentences, when the images themselves don't need to be quoted at all.

For example, when Jim (OHWeather2) posts one of his long discussion-type posts, he usually incorporates several images to backup what he is saying, which of course I have no problem with at all. BUT, then 3-5 people come along and quote his entire post (All 5-6 Images included) just to say they think he did a great job etc. I know when I complement him, I always make sure to remove the image tags from the quote so the images are not repeated in my post when they serve no relevence at all, and thus, it makes my posts MUCH shorter without having to scroll 1/2 way down the page just to see what I had to say.

I don't know if there is any effective option that can be implemented to help to curb this issue, but it would sure be appreciated if it was atleast looked into. Very annoying, that's all I can really say.

--------------------
- Logan -

A.S. in Business Administration-- Broome Comm. College '08
B.S. in Accounting-- Binghamton University '10
M.B.A. in Public Accounting-- SUNY Oswego '12
M.S. in Forensic Accounting-- SUNY Brockport '13

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_OHweather2_*
post Dec 11 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE(LoganTyler @ Dec 11 2009, 05:51 PM) *
I'm actually glad someone brought this up. I don't often express any complaints on here, but this is 1 issue I find very, very annoying, moreso lately than usual. I see this especially at times when model runs are coming out, and someone posts 2, 3, 4 or more model images in 1 post, and then 2 or 3 people quote the post just to mention what they think about the temperatures or the precip areas etc, without deleting the images from their quote. The result is mile-long posts with the same 4-6 images in the quotebox all for 2 sentences, when the images themselves don't need to be quoted at all.

For example, when Jim (OHWeather2) posts one of his long discussion-type posts, he usually incorporates several images to backup what he is saying, which of course I have no problem with at all. BUT, then 3-5 people come along and quote his entire post (All 5-6 Images included) just to say they think he did a great job etc. I know when I complement him, I always make sure to remove the image tags from the quote so the images are not repeated in my post when they serve no relevence at all, and thus, it makes my posts MUCH shorter without having to scroll 1/2 way down the page just to see what I had to say.

I don't know if there is any effective option that can be implemented to help to curb this issue, but it would sure be appreciated if it was atleast looked into. Very annoying, that's all I can really say.

It is annoying. Sometimes I'll try to say something at the top like "don't quote this whole post" and that sometimes helps, but I often forget and will get people quoting the whole thing multiple times.

+Quote Post
WBwxwatcher92
post Dec 11 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,654

Example:
http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php?s=...st&p=659035

Waste of space and bandwith.

--------------------
Winter storm grades:
12/26-27: F; shafted big-time
1/11: C+; kind of shafted, but decent snowfall
1/26: F; wrong side of a major cutoff again

Winter grade so far: D

+Quote Post
LoganTyler
post Dec 11 2009, 11:34 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,058

QUOTE(WBwxwatcher92 @ Dec 11 2009, 11:17 PM) *

Thank you for posting this. THAT right here is EXACTLY what I was referencing to in my earlier post. Classic example of 6 images needlessly being quoted and reposted, making everyone have to scroll down 1/2 a page to see a 1 sentence reply. Heck, even the quality/quantity of the response has no bearing on the need to quote/repost all 6 images, let alone just a single line response.

I hope something get's done about it. All's anyone has to do is just take 3 seconds to highlight the image tags and simply press backspace, and the problem is solved.

This post has been edited by LoganTyler: Dec 11 2009, 11:40 PM

--------------------
- Logan -

A.S. in Business Administration-- Broome Comm. College '08
B.S. in Accounting-- Binghamton University '10
M.B.A. in Public Accounting-- SUNY Oswego '12
M.S. in Forensic Accounting-- SUNY Brockport '13

+Quote Post
gordonfann
post Dec 12 2009, 03:10 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 15,036

I have to agree. This drives me crazy when I have to scroll long posts for a single sentence reply.

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post Dec 12 2009, 05:04 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,491

What I usually do when making a long post is making another post after the long one which says to quote it when replying to the long post. Last time I tried it on my winter outlook, it worked.

This post has been edited by NYCSuburbs: Dec 12 2009, 05:04 PM

+Quote Post
missmarisa
post Dec 12 2009, 05:49 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 11,489

When I reply I simply remove the attachment tags to the images. It does get a bit much.

I guess this is where Dom and I do different things because I have been known to edit a post and removed the images if it gets too long...because I am not editing what the member has posted or said, simply adjusted what they quoted, I don't see a problem with it...I always put the reason in the "Reason for Edit" box so the person knows why and maybe won't do it again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DomNH
post Dec 12 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 11,976

QUOTE(missmarisa @ Dec 12 2009, 05:49 PM) *
When I reply I simply remove the attachment tags to the images. It does get a bit much.

I guess this is where Dom and I do different things because I have been known to edit a post and removed the images if it gets too long...because I am not editing what the member has posted or said, simply adjusted what they quoted, I don't see a problem with it...I always put the reason in the "Reason for Edit" box so the person knows why and maybe won't do it again.

We do different things? ohmy.gif

I always make sure to shorten long quotes when I reply, but I think I'll start editing them more frequently, it definitely helps keep things moving.

--------------------

+Quote Post
missmarisa
post Dec 12 2009, 06:46 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,489

QUOTE(DS2434 @ Dec 12 2009, 06:43 PM) *
We do different things? ohmy.gif

I always make sure to shorten long quotes when I reply, but I think I'll start editing them more frequently, it definitely helps keep things moving.

A total shocker, I know. tongue.gif

This is your chance to truly become more like me. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Jan 9 2010, 04:42 PM
Post #13

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

Unfortunately, there is nothing that the software can do about this; I would recommend if it really annoys you and you see someone doing it a lot, PM them and explain.

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 01:48 AM