Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

59 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Today in History
cactusjack
post Jan 15 2010, 06:53 PM
Post #41

Group: Member
Member No.: 15,095

QUOTE(Not Firewalled @ Jan 15 2010, 03:10 PM) *
Otherwise, Joe DiMaggio may have single-handedly saved the Los Angeles area florist industry!

QUOTE(Papa_Bear @ Jan 15 2010, 03:14 PM) *
yes....and if you figure out what flowers were sent and how cost have gone up.... laugh.gif can you imagine her grave site with like a mountain of flowers covering it

We could sure use that now. Just a bouquet of nice flowers is like 30-40 bucks. That would fix our deficit in no time.

--------------------
"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there." -John Wooden

"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines." -Unknown
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Papa_Bear
post Jan 15 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 19,382

QUOTE(cactusjack @ Jan 15 2010, 06:53 PM) *
We could sure use that now. Just a bouquet of nice flowers is like 30-40 bucks. That would fix our deficit in no time.

true...but if they were roses..HOLY NUTS...thats expensive

--------------------
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

+Quote Post
Maw
post Jan 15 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 12,971

QUOTE(cactusjack @ Jan 15 2010, 10:41 AM) *
Thanks Bear. Today's event is a little bizarre and tragic.
January 15, 1919: Molasses Floods the Streets of Boston

A huge tank of molasses ruptured at the United States Industrial Alcohol Company in the heart of Boston on this day in 1919, flooding the streets and killing twenty-one people. It was nearly lunchtime when the bolts on the tank exploded, sending an eight-foot-high wave of molasses down the streets. The molasses swept away freight cars, knocked down a local firehouse, and killed five employees at the city’s Public Works Department. It took weeks to clean up the sticky mess. More than one hundred lawsuits were filed, and the company paid nearly $1 million in damages.

Now that's a sticky situation. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Rather it should be to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand and the Good Book in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

+Quote Post
Maw
post Jan 15 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 12,971

QUOTE(cactusjack @ Jan 15 2010, 05:08 PM) *
January 16, 1991: First Persian Gulf War Begins

The Persian Gulf War began on January 16, 1991, when a United Nations deadline calling for Iraq to withdraw its army from Kuwait ended. The Iraqis invaded Kuwait in August 1990. At 4:30 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, U.S. and British fighters launched from aircraft carriers in the Persian Gulf and Red Sea began bombing runs over Iraq. At 7:00 p.m., the White House announced that Operation Desert Storm, the code name for the assault, was under way.

I remember this VERY well. I just got out of class and was driving home. I think it was about 7:30 pm when I got into my car and heard it on the radio. It was the first time in my lifetime that I remembered hearing the US declared war. It was an awful sinking feeling. sad.gif

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Rather it should be to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand and the Good Book in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

+Quote Post
Papa_Bear
post Jan 15 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(Maw @ Jan 15 2010, 09:05 PM) *
I remember this VERY well. I just got out of class and was driving home. I think it was about 7:30 pm when I got into my car and heard it on the radio. It was the first time in my lifetime that I remembered hearing the US declared war. It was an awful sinking feeling. sad.gif

I remember us declaring war also.... I just didn't remember the date

--------------------
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

+Quote Post
cactusjack
post Jan 19 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #46

I forgot to post one yesterday on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

January 18, 1803: Jefferson requests funding for Lewis and Clark Expedition

On this day in 1803, President Thomas Jefferson sent a confidential message to Congress asking for money to fund the exploration of the Far West. Jefferson had been trying to mount an expedition for years, and that determination flowered when he became president in 1801. In the summer of 1802, Jefferson asked his personal secretary, Meriwether Lewis, to draw up a budget for the journey. Lewis, who would later lead the expedition, estimated it would cost $2,500. Lewis based that number on an expedition consisting of one officer and ten men. Although there was some opposition, Congress approved the $2,500 appropriation.

And here is today's

January 19, 1809: Edgar Allan Poe is Born

Author and poet Edgar Allan Poe was born on this day in Boston, Massachusetts. After Poe was orphaned at the age of three, his wealthy godfather, John Allan, took care of the lad. Dark, handsome, and brooding, Poe paid his literary dues by working at carious magazines and newspapers in Richmond, Philadelphia, and New York. He penned such classics as “The Murders in the Rue Morgue,” “The Fall of the House of Usher,” and “The Purloined Letter,” the first modern detective story. In 1844, Poe achieved critical success with the publication of “The Raven.” In 1847, Poe’s wife, Virginia, contracted tuberculosis and died, driving the poet deep into a depression fueled by drug and alcohol abuse. Poe died on October 7, 1849, at the age of forty.

--------------------
"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there." -John Wooden

+Quote Post
cactusjack
post Jan 20 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #47

January 20, 1971: Ill-Fated Jaguar is Introduced

On this day in 1971, British automaker Leyland displayed a prototype of the new Jaguar XJ13 in Lindley, England. Leyland had hoped the XJ13 would be a hit with consumers. However, a test-driver named Norman Davis wrecked the prototype Jag on its first test run, ending the XJ13 development.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Not Firewalled
post Jan 20 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 18,678

QUOTE(cactusjack @ Jan 20 2010, 10:24 AM) *
January 20, 1971: Ill-Fated Jaguar is Introduced

On this day in 1971, British automaker Leyland displayed a prototype of the new Jaguar XJ13 in Lindley, England. Leyland had hoped the XJ13 would be a hit with consumers. However, a test-driver named Norman Davis wrecked the prototype Jag on its first test run, ending the XJ13 development.

laugh.gif Should have had The Stig as the test-driver. He wouldn't have wrecked!

--------------------
"Bees make honey....Do earwigs make chutney? Do spiders make gravy?"

+Quote Post
cactusjack
post Jan 20 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(Not Firewalled @ Jan 20 2010, 09:49 AM) *
laugh.gif Should have had The Stig as the test-driver. He wouldn't have wrecked!

Haha yes! Top Gear.

Did you see the one where they came to America and drove through the South? They had The Stig's American cousin and he was a fat guy. Way funny.

This post has been edited by cactusjack: Jan 20 2010, 12:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
C_h_a_z
post Jan 20 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 20,275

hahahahah, the stig is awesome

+Quote Post
Not Firewalled
post Jan 20 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #51

QUOTE(cactusjack @ Jan 20 2010, 10:55 AM) *
Haha yes! Top Gear.

Did you see the one where they came to America and drove through the South? They had The Stig's American cousin and he was a fat guy. Way funny.

YES! That was hilarious! Also, the Botswana special with The Stig's African cousin? laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Not Firewalled
post Jan 20 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #52

QUOTE(C_h_a_z @ Jan 20 2010, 10:56 AM) *
hahahahah, the stig is awesome

I want him to teach me how to drive a stick. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
cactusjack
post Jan 20 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(Not Firewalled @ Jan 20 2010, 10:01 AM) *
I want him to teach me how to drive a stick. biggrin.gif

He could do more than that. He'll also teach you how to drive like Dale Earnhardt. You could become The Stig's Colorado based girl cousin.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Not Firewalled
post Jan 20 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #54

QUOTE(cactusjack @ Jan 20 2010, 02:00 PM) *
He could do more than that. He'll also teach you how to drive like Dale Earnhardt. You could become The Stig's Colorado based girl cousin.

That would rock! He could teach me all the things that I don't quite understand like oversteer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cactusjack
post Jan 20 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(Not Firewalled @ Jan 20 2010, 01:14 PM) *
That would rock! He could teach me all the things that I don't quite understand like oversteer.

Yeah I don't really get all that stuff either. I want him to teach me it too. Once you become the cousin, you'll have to teach me too.

When you become The Stig's cousin, you'll have to change your screen name to Stig. Then it will be Mr Stig and Lil Stig. lol.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cactusjack
post Jan 21 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #56

January 21, 1916: National Board of Review says no nudity in films

On this date in 1916, the National Board of Review agreed not to accept nudity in motion pictures. The Board of Review was first set up in 1909 as the National Board of Censorship, created as a watchdog group to help movie studios avoid government censorship. Critics of the board, however, felt the group was too liberal and lobbied for more conservative rules. In 1921, the New York State Legislature passed a law stripping the board of much of its power.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cactusjack
post Jan 22 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #57

January 22, 1879: Chief Dull Knife makes last fight for freedom

On this day in 1879, American soldiers ruthlessly put down Cheyenne Chief Dull Knife and his people as they made a desperate bid for freedom. Dull Knife had led his people into war against the invading Anglo-Americans after an 1864 massacre of two hundred peaceful Cheyenne by Colorado militiamen. In 1877, Dull Knife reluctantly surrendered and the military relocated the Cheyenne to present-day Kansas and Oklahoma. The Cheyenne marched back to Wyoming in 1878 and made one last attempt at freedom—and Wyoming—in early January. Soldiers chased after the weak and starving band of men, women, and children, and attacked and killed at least thirty people.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Not Firewalled
post Jan 22 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #58

QUOTE(cactusjack @ Jan 22 2010, 10:20 AM) *
January 22, 1879: Chief Dull Knife makes last fight for freedom

On this day in 1879, American soldiers ruthlessly put down Cheyenne Chief Dull Knife and his people as they made a desperate bid for freedom. Dull Knife had led his people into war against the invading Anglo-Americans after an 1864 massacre of two hundred peaceful Cheyenne by Colorado militiamen. In 1877, Dull Knife reluctantly surrendered and the military relocated the Cheyenne to present-day Kansas and Oklahoma. The Cheyenne marched back to Wyoming in 1878 and made one last attempt at freedom—and Wyoming—in early January. Soldiers chased after the weak and starving band of men, women, and children, and attacked and killed at least thirty people.

Today's Today In History is very sad. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
cactusjack
post Jan 22 2010, 05:15 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(Not Firewalled @ Jan 22 2010, 10:20 AM) *
Today's Today In History is very sad. sad.gif

Sorry.

The weekend ones I'm about to post aren't much happier. We need more molasses spills, with no one dying though.

January 23, 1941: Lindbergh to Congress: Negotiate with Hitler

American hero Charles Lindbergh, who achieved fame and glory in 1927 by becoming the first person to fly an airplane nonstop across the Atlantic, on this day urged Congress to negotiate a neutrality pact with Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany. In 1941, President Roosevelt denounced Lindbergh publicly. Lindbergh redeemed himself to the American public by eventually flying fifty combat missions over the Pacific

January 24, 1965: Sir Winston Churchill dies

Winston Churchill who led Great Britain and the Allies through World War II, died in London at the age of ninety on this day in 1965. Churchill was known and admired for many things: standing alone against Nazi Germany in the first year of his administration, being knighted by Queen Elizabeth II, and winning the Nobel Prize in Literature among them.

This post has been edited by cactusjack: Jan 22 2010, 05:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Papa_Bear
post Jan 22 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #60

Great history posts as always

--------------------

+Quote Post

59 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 09:44 PM