Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vantage Pro Console antenna, console in house with thick stone walls
georgep
post Jan 11 2010, 05:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 20,824

Hello,
I have a Vantage Pro2 (supercap blown and in the process of being replaced - thanks to this forum for pointing the way). My problem is that I live in a house with thick stone walls [nothern scotland], so the console sits by the front window in order to get a near line of sight to both transmitters I have (one for ISS and another for wind). What I would like to do is replace the console antenna with another which I can have, sat outside the house in the front and lead a cable back to the console.

I did send an e-mail to Davis, but they suggested a repeater "as the best way to extend the range", however, I do not see the range as necessarily the problem.

Does anyone have any experience of this? - perhaps an external antenna + some sort of amplifier for example?.

Regards

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Nesmith
post Jan 11 2010, 10:59 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,779

QUOTE(georgep @ Jan 11 2010, 06:25 AM) *
Hello,
I have a Vantage Pro2 (supercap blown and in the process of being replaced - thanks to this forum for pointing the way). My problem is that I live in a house with thick stone walls [nothern scotland], so the console sits by the front window in order to get a near line of sight to both transmitters I have (one for ISS and another for wind). What I would like to do is replace the console antenna with another which I can have, sat outside the house in the front and lead a cable back to the console.

I did send an e-mail to Davis, but they suggested a repeater "as the best way to extend the range", however, I do not see the range as necessarily the problem.

Does anyone have any experience of this? - perhaps an external antenna + some sort of amplifier for example?.

Regards

Hello, and thanks for using a Davis!

I sell them as well as many other weather stations and the repeater is the best way to do what i think you are trying to get done! If you do not think so plz pm me and we can talk more about this.

Thanks,
Chris Nesmith
Tri State Storms

+Quote Post
dalecoy
post Jan 12 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #3

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,672

Assuming that you are working clearly within the Davis VP2 range specifications;

There is no technical reason that an outside antenna would not work properly, and solve your problem.

External antennas are readily available for all frequency bands, etc.

The difficulty will be in getting specifications - frequency, impedance, and connector type.

You can try asking Davis for that information.

For UK/EU, the frequency will be 868 MHz.

If you have a friend who is an Amateur Radio Operator, you could probably get some assistance, including the temporary loan of something that you could try - before investing in a more expensive solution.

This post has been edited by dalecoy: Jan 12 2010, 11:29 PM

+Quote Post
dalecoy
post Jan 21 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(georgep @ Jan 11 2010, 06:25 AM) *
Does anyone have any experience of this?

Experience might consist of reports to the forum by people who have asked for help and tried suggested solutions.

This post has been edited by dalecoy: Jan 21 2010, 10:38 AM

+Quote Post
meteotietar
post Jan 22 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,014

Hello from Spain.
Does anybody know the vantage pro2 antenna impedance? I have seen a davis weather station used as ALERT sistem in a dam in norterm Spain, with a yagi antenna attached to ISS, the nearest building or location were the console could be placed was 1.5 km away from the station; I want to modify my vantage pro2 (USA version) to improve more reception range , any help is appreciated.
Thanks and excuseme my por english.
Regards

+Quote Post
Jim18655
post Jan 22 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,310

Try making a corner reflector for your transmitter. Cover cardboard with aluminum foil and fold into a 90 degree reflector. Place about 1/2 wavelength (71.25 meters/868 mHz) behind the transmitter and aim it toward your receiver. It should increase the signal strength by directing all of the power toward the house. If it works then you can make a better, permanent reflector from some sheet metal.

+Quote Post
dalecoy
post Jan 22 2010, 11:46 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(meteotietar @ Jan 22 2010, 05:57 PM) *
Hello from Spain.
Does anybody know the vantage pro2 antenna impedance?

I am fairly certain that the impedance is 50 ohms. If you ask Davis and find out it's something else, please post that information here.

+Quote Post
meteotietar
post Jan 23 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 21,014

QUOTE(dalecoy @ Jan 23 2010, 05:46 AM) *
I am fairly certain that the impedance is 50 ohms. If you ask Davis and find out it's something else, please post that information here.

Then IŽll try to add an N connector to my ISS, and a 900mhz yagi antenna, I want to changue the console antenna with high gain omni.
IŽll post some pics.

+Quote Post
chrisx
post Apr 12 2010, 09:26 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 22,503

Hi

Found your post through google and wonder if you ever did the modification you described below?

I'm very interested in doing the same...

Regards,
-Chris

QUOTE(meteotietar @ Jan 23 2010, 07:45 AM) *
Then IŽll try to add an N connector to my ISS, and a 900mhz yagi antenna, I want to changue the console antenna with high gain omni.
IŽll post some pics.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 01:11 AM