Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Upswell of geological activity
off the grid
post Jan 13 2010, 11:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 13,247

Wait for these next few years (both years before and after) the galactic alignment 12/12/2012 it would make sense with a large gravitational pull we will see an upswell of activity not only at yellowstone but all fault lines and volcanoes probly no major eruptions or any thing on those lines maybe more larger quakes along US west coast off seattle. Philippines, new zealand, South America.
Maybe the Mississippi valley fault line may go?
might see some volcanoes along the ring of fire start to blow steam.

--------------------
Count down to winter

10. Days start getting shorter
9. Average temps start getting colder
8. First sub-60 high
7. Bull Elk Bugle
6. Leaves change
5. First frost
4. First snow
3. Lakes freeze over
2. First significant snow
1. First sub 0 temperature

2010/2011 winter numbers.
Consecutive days/snow on ground :
Coldest 2011/2012 Temp: -2* 11-7-11
Coldest windchill temp 2011/2012:
Total seasonal snow this year: 21
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sovolis
post Jan 14 2010, 03:12 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,778

QUOTE(off the grid @ Jan 13 2010, 10:14 PM) *
Wait for these next few years (both years before and after) the galactic alignment 12/12/2012 it would make sense with a large gravitational pull we will see an upswell of activity not only at yellowstone but all fault lines and volcanoes probly no major eruptions or any thing on those lines maybe more larger quakes along US west coast off seattle. Philippines, new zealand, South America.
Maybe the Mississippi valley fault line may go?
might see some volcanoes along the ring of fire start to blow steam.

No. There will not be any increased geological activity due to a galactic alignment.

Your date is wrong. The date is 12/21/2012, the winter solstice, and end of the Mayan Long Count Calander. However, there is no good data to suggest that anything out of the ordinary is going to happen on this date. The galactic alignment you talk about not only happens every year on 12/21, but it is also impossible for this event to influence tectonic activity on the Earth. Gravity doesn't work that way because of the inverse square law. At any given time the person standing next to you will be exerting a stronger gravitational force upon you and the Earth than any object at the center of the galaxy; even a super massive black hole. The Earth influences us with most everything else being cancelled out with the exception of the Moon. The Sun influences the Earth and cancels most everything else out, again the moon is an exception. The Super Massive Black Hole(s) at the center of the galaxy influence the Suns path thru the galaxy and that's about it.

--------------------
QUOTE(Apologistnky @ Nov 4 2010, 10:57 PM) *
A squirrel cannot carry the rabies virus... but has no trouble carrying the AK-47 assault rifle or the M72 Light Anti-tank weapon ( LAWS rocket)!! :unsure: :lol:

+Quote Post
off the grid
post Jan 15 2010, 01:43 PM
Post #3

Oh ok yea i knew the date was the 21st but i guess i typed it in wrong.
I'm not talking about the Winter equinox itself but the alignment they say occurs once every 26,000 years. 1998 +- 16 years till 2016 or something like that.
I do have one question
So if the Super Massive Black hole in the Center of the Milky way has influence on the Sun and the Sun has influence on us isn't it all connected in some way?
or how does this work I'm by no means an expert on this stuff.

--------------------
Count down to winter

8. First sub-60 high
7. Bull Elk Bugle
6. Leaves change
5. First frost
4. First snow
3. Lakes freeze over

+Quote Post
Sovolis
post Jan 20 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,778

QUOTE(off the grid @ Jan 15 2010, 12:43 PM) *
Oh ok yea i knew the date was the 21st but i guess i typed it in wrong.
I'm not talking about the Winter equinox itself but the alignment they say occurs once every 26,000 years. 1998 +- 16 years till 2016 or something like that.
I do have one question
So if the Super Massive Black hole in the Center of the Milky way has influence on the Sun and the Sun has influence on us isn't it all connected in some way?
or how does this work I'm by no means an expert on this stuff.

I finally have an opportunity to respond to your questions.

First of all, the alignment that occurs on 12/21/2012 is the same alignment that happens every year on the winter solstice. This is an alignment that occurs when the Earth and Sun are in direct alignment with the center of the galaxy. What is different about the 2012 date isn't the alignment, but the position of the solar system relative to the galactic plane. This is the event that happens every 26000 years, but if (and this is a big if) this causes increased gravitation it would be minimal at best. Like most everything in the galaxy our solar system is rarely lined up with the galactic plane. If we were looking at the galaxy from the side to view its thickness then the galactic plane would be an invisible line drawn thru the middle of the galaxy so that almost everything in the galaxy exists either above or below the galactic plane. To claim that this would cause an increase in gravitation large enough to affect the Earth in a negative manner is similar to the claims of some about the planetary alignment that happened on 6/6/06 (I believe this is the correct date for the last major planetary alignment). Leading up to the last major planetary alignment there were all kind of crazy claims about what the increased gravitation would do. None of these claims came to fruition. Of course this is probably because the planetary alignment only had an increase of .0006 Gs (if I recall correctly). In fact, the planetary alignment caused a higher increase in gravitational forces than the galactic alignment is projected to do. This is due to the inverse square law, which leads me to an answer to your question.

The inverse square law in relation to relativity states: the gravitational forces that two bodies exert upon each other is proportionate to the mass of the two bodies, but also proportionate to the inverse of the square of the distance between the two bodies. Example; if the gravitational forces that bodies A and B exert upon each other at a distance of 1 meter is equal to X, than the gravitational forces that the same two objects exert upon each other at a distance of 2 meters is equal to 1/4 (one quarter) X.

In order to understand this properly we need to consider both parts of the inverse square law. We will take a look at the second part of the law first; proportionate to the inverse of the square of the distance. This is the reason that the Sun is the most influential body in relation to the Earth. The Sun is a very massive object that is much closer to the Earth than the super massive black hole(s) at the center of the galaxy are. Because of the extreme distance (roughly 45000 light years) between the Earth and the center of the galaxy the gravitational forces are very small. The Sun on the other hand is only 8 light minutes from the Earth, so it's gravitational force more or less cancels out all other gravitational forces. This isn't saying that other objects don't exert a gravitational force upon the Earth. Other objects certainly do exert a gravitational force upon the Earth, but the affects are either minor in relation to the Sun or not noticeable at all. For instance; Jupiter will certainly affect our orbit a bit causing some wobble in our orbit and upon our axis, but the gravitational force exerted by the Moon also stabilizes our orbit and axis wobble. Pluto's gravitational force is hardly even felt. A similar thing can be said about you and your best friend. When you are standing next to each other you are exerting a gravitational force upon one another, but the Earth's gravitational force cancels most everything else out preventing the two of you from being forced together due to gravity.

Now let us take a look at the first part of the inverse square law; the gravitational forces that two bodies exert upon each other is proportionate to the mass of the two bodies. This is the reason that the super massive black hole(s) at the center of the galaxy is the primary influence over the sun. The super massive black hole(s) and the Sun are much closer in mass than the Earth is to either of the other two. The super massive black hole(s) are just that; super massive. The Sun is closer in mass to the super massive black hole(s) than it is to the Earth, so the super massive black hole(s) are the primary influence over the Sun. This isn't to say that there aren't closer objects that are relatively close in mass to the Sun that influence it. There certainly are massive stars that have an influence on the Sun, but like in the previous paragraph these forces are affectively rendered moot or the affects are minimal. These affects mostly manifest in irregularities within the solar systems orbit around the center of the galaxy and similar things. Nothing we need to worry ourselves over.

To answer your question about whether it is all connected; absolutely it is all connected. While the super massive black hole(s) have influence over the Sun; the Earth and the other planets still have some affect on the Sun. Most of these affects manifest in a slight wobble upon the Sun's axis. All the other planets will also do this to a greater or lesser degree to each other. It just isn't anything that would cause tectonic activity to increase.

--------------------
QUOTE(Apologistnky @ Nov 4 2010, 10:57 PM) *
A squirrel cannot carry the rabies virus... but has no trouble carrying the AK-47 assault rifle or the M72 Light Anti-tank weapon ( LAWS rocket)!! :unsure: :lol:

+Quote Post
off the grid
post Jan 20 2010, 10:59 PM
Post #5

ok thanks for the information and clarifying all of that.

--------------------
Count down to winter

8. First sub-60 high
7. Bull Elk Bugle
6. Leaves change
5. First frost
4. First snow
3. Lakes freeze over

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 09:23 PM